Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Views: 1610
  • Message 11 of 14

Re: No digital audio in or out, or the ability to record digital audio in W700 and W500 series noteb

2009-10-19, 2:36 AM

Lenovo made it a point to advertise and blog about their use of DisplayPort as a superior alternative to HDMI. Few people would hear that as somehow not supporting digital audio. They specifically talked about audio support in their design blog. When they offer a BluRay option they do not mention that a mini-dock is required to output digital audio. That is a choice Lenovo made which does not serve its customers well.

The fact that other companies also failed to implement the DisplayPort fully as in video+audio is not an excuse for not letting customers know BEFORE they buy one. If you understood DisplayPort and HDMI you would know that HDMI requires a license fee payment for each product that includes it and DisplayPort does not-- making it cheaper to manufacture with it vs.. HDMI.

Don;t know how many ThinkPads you have owned but I have been buying them for over fourteen years and their top-end models have all provided digital audio out. When you market a product as a workstation for creative professionals than then gimp the audio most pros I know would want to know about that and they would not just assume the port was gimped. Lenovo still does not warn about this limitation to this day-- and Dell's top-end machine does have a fully functional DisplayPort.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 12 of 14

Re: No digital audio in or out, or the ability to record digital audio in W700 and W500 series noteb

2009-10-19, 5:30 AM

Don;t know how many ThinkPads you have owned but I have been buying them for over fourteen years and their top-end models have all provided digital audio out. 

Not many as you obviously, but here is a quick list.

X301, T500, T400, R400, R500, W500, T60p, T60 x 2, T61 x 2, T61p, T30, T40, T41, T42, T43, R61 x 2, Z61t, X60, X61t, X61, X31... <--- these are the one that i currently own, not the one i have owned and sold off or given away..... otherwise the list would at least double....

Regarding digitial audio out, which Thinkpad was it that offered digital audio out directly on the laptop? Regarding Dell top end machines maybe since they acquired Alienware, and their XPS 1710 and XP1730, etc.. does have many features found on alienware machines.......

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

101 Posts

11-02-2008

California

263 Signins

1610 Page Views

• Views: 1610
  • Message 13 of 14

2009-10-19, 19:21 PM

Lol! Looks like you copied and pasted a models list. Well you must be a very rich man to be able to afford all of those notebooks for your own personal use all at the same time but buying a thing does that does not necessarily make you an expert.

The Model A31P provided optical output and was sold from 2002-2003. My Sony AR190g has both multichannel digital audio over HDMI and SPDIF optical BTW. And it was not a consumer machine-- it was marketed to creative professionals just like the W500/700 are BTW.

And what on earth does Dell aquiring Alienware have to do with what ports are offered on Lenovo Thinkpad workstation notebooks? Creative professionals that I know would all prefer to have a digital audio connection, if for nothing else than to hook up to display projectors for HD presentations. This was a huge Lenovo blunder and no matter how many customers seek to apologize for them, customers have a right to know about limitations such as these BEFORE they purchase products-- and Lenovo flat-out misled consumers by failing to note this key difference between their DisplayPort and everyone else's HDMI ports given they were hyping it as a full alternative to HDMI-- even writing about it on their design blogs.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 14 of 14

2009-10-19, 22:16 PM

yes i indeed copied a model list from my account on NBR.... here

http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

You can find my account in the above link....

I am not saying i am an expert, just used enough thinkpad to know. So A31p provided optical out on the laptop? I never heard of that, but maybe that is the case since i never used a Thinkpad that old before. 2002-2003 is when i just finished my high school. Sony is Sony, oh and they have their own music business and they make sound systems, Lenovo don't... they are more of a niche market player in laptops, second tier like Toshiba... First tier are Acer, HP, Lenovo and Dell.

Dell acquiring Alienware has lot to do with what is included in the top of the range laptops between 2004 to 2006, their XPS1710 was the direct result of them acquiring Alienware. 

Before we go off in a hyperbole, please compare Thinkpads to their main competitor which is the Dell Latitude and HP's business laptop range. 

Regarding what the blog said about audio on displayport, it is just a possible scenario, they didn't set anything in concrete.

http://lowendmac.com/ed/fox/09ff/displayport-audio.html

have a read of that blog regarding displayport audio, though it is for a mac the underlying technology is the same. 

As i have said, i think the displayport was included by Lenovo for higher resolution which is used in... if it was just a simple re-route they probably have done it ages ago. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms