Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

172 Posts

06-01-2014

Singapore

197 Signins

2457 Page Views

• Views: 2457
  • Message 1 of 3

Odd W520 Thermal Behaviour with CPU

2020-10-20, 0:18 AM

Hi all,

My W520 (which has an integrated and discrete graphics chip) had been running extremely hot as of late. Not sure if it's by design or not. The GPU temperatures have always been fine (peaking at 80 degrees) but not the CPU.

When the system is set to Discrete Graphics mode only in BIOS, the CPU temperature always hit 99 degrees before downthrottling.

When the system is set to NVIDIA Optimus mode in BIOS, the CPU temperature always hit 95 degrees before downthrottling.

I have replaced the thermal paste already, following guidance around the net to either a) apply a ultra small pea-sized drop on the die and let it spread out upon contact or b) spread out the pea sized drop into a thin translucent film such that i can just barely still see the CPU.

I tried both ways so I essentially replaced the thermal paste twice. When doing the first replacement I found the thermal paste had dried so I thought the dried thermal paste was insulating rather than conducting heat. I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for the thermal paste.

The fan has been cleaned on both occasions with a vacuum cleaner and brush.

Further, with each use of the thermal paste, the CPU temperature keeps jumping faster and faster (from 65 degrees at 33% utlitilisation, 830MHz on thermal throttling), and then suddenly increasing by 5 to 6 degrees each SECOND, i.e. 71, 78, 84, 88, 89, 90, up to 95 (100% utilisation, turbo boost up to 3.03GHz)

Any idea how I can bring down the max temperature of the CPU to below 90 at least? It is honestly getting quite annoying especially with the thermal throttling which just slows down the whole computer, especially when I am using Zoom.... or am I just stuck with the fact that is by design and that many W520 users have faced the same problem?

W510: i7-720QM, 16GB, DDR3 PC10600 - 1033MHz Kingston Value RAM, 1GB Quadro FX880M, 2TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD (external via eSATA)

T410: i5-520M, 8GB, DDR3 PC8500 - 1066Mhz Kingston Value RAM, 512MB Geforce, 1TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 1TB Seagate SSHD (external via eSATA)
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

330 Signins

14361 Page Views

• Views: 14361
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Odd W520 Thermal Behaviour with CPU

2020-10-20, 9:18 AM

Hello it_geek,

I usually go with the A variant of applying thermal paste.

Is the fan speed increasing with the temperature or is it staying the same throughout ? Nevertheless, below is some troubleshooting steps you can try if you have not already.

Step 1. Make sure fans are set to active

In the search function type "Control Panel"  

From the "view by" list , select "Large Icons"

Locate the "Power Options" icon and click it.

Select "Edit Plan Settings" on the one you are using.

Now select "Change advanced power settings"  

Navigate to "Processor power management"

Make sure the "System cooling policy" is set to "Active" or "100%" on both battery and charging.

Step 2. Checking Lenovo Vantage/BIOS for Quiet Mode/DPTF/Thermal Solution Settings.

**Make sure Quiet Mode is off, if you turned it off in Lenovo Vantage, then BIOS settings might override that setting if it's on.

- Press the power button to completely shut down the unit.

- Press F1 repeatedly on startup to enter the BIOS.

- Then navigate to the Config tab and check under Power if there is any option for Quiet Mode and switch mode to off/disabled.

- Check for other thermal settings, like DPTF (Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework) setting, make sure it is on.

**NOTE - Not all BIOS versions have these option or the layout varies a bit.

Step 3. Updating the Chipset and Thermal Solution Drivers  

Make sure you have the latest BIOS, Chipset, Serial I.O and Management Engine Interface(MEI), Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework (DPTF) and/or Intelligent Thermal Solution (ITS) drivers for your device:  

You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page

Just plot in the serial number of the device and hit enter, might have to press it twice, then head to Drivers & Software then BIOS and Chipset section.

**Note: Make sure the AC adapter is connected and that you have at least 30% battery charge when performing this update.

Some forum users have noted that uninstalling Lenovo Power/Energy Management at certain versions have alleviated certain battery/heating/sensor issues. You might want to try this as well.

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

172 Posts

06-01-2014

Singapore

197 Signins

2457 Page Views

• Views: 2457
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Odd W520 Thermal Behaviour with CPU

2020-10-21, 4:13 AM

In response to your queries:

1. System Cooling Policy has always been active, it has never been changed;
  2. The BIOS setting for system cooling is also active;
  3. There are no "thermal drivers" per se. There's only the chipset drivers, but that is already on the latest version anyway.

Unfortunately, I am still seeing those temperature jumps.

W510: i7-720QM, 16GB, DDR3 PC10600 - 1033MHz Kingston Value RAM, 1GB Quadro FX880M, 2TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 2TB Seagate Firecuda SSHD (external via eSATA)

T410: i5-520M, 8GB, DDR3 PC8500 - 1066Mhz Kingston Value RAM, 512MB Geforce, 1TB Seagate SSHD (Internal) + 1TB Seagate SSHD (external via eSATA)
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms