Options

41 Posts

01-10-2018

US

79 Signins

549 Page Views

• Views: 549
  • Message 1 of 8

Optical drive (ultrabay) power off solutions. Windows 10 (and earlier)

2018-01-25, 4:02 AM

I wanted to post a PSA here based on my experience troubleshooting this issue on my W530 which I just upgraded to Windows 10 x64 (1607 creators update clean install).

After installing all of the Lenovo drivers and software (including Vantage), I began to see my optical drive power off after 1 minute of inactivity (assuming there was no disc in the drive).

I didn't like this behavior becuase

1) I couldn't control it

2) I had issues in the past with some softwares and this power down of the optical drive.

3) This issue might not be (unconfirmed) limited to optical drives, but possibly any drive that is the ultrabay (on applicable models).

This is a new solution I propose - not something I've seen talked about before.  A short history lesson on these optical drive power offs as they were implented pre Windows 10.  I believe those of you running Windows 10 (and possibly 8) might have run into what I did.  I have seen quite a few posts going back a couple years now with no solutions.

- In Windows 7, Lenovo provided the Power Management Software which supported the “Automatic optical drive power off” option.  In order for this option to be visible you needed to have the Lenovo Power Management Driver (Lenovo PM Device) and you needed to ensure your IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers were using the proper SATA AHCI driver (generally *not* the build in standard Microsoft driver, but the appropriate one from Lenovo for your chipset).  If these steps were completed then in the Power Manager software you would see something like this:

It was then a simple issue of toggling that option to disable/enable the powering down of the optical drive.

- Windows 8 saw two changes to how this could be controlled.  Firstly, Lenovo stopped officially supporting the Power Manager software on Windows 8, so there was no way to toggle this behavior.  Microsoft however made some changes to Windows 8 in the form of ZPODD, which by default would power down the optical drive in a similar manner.  On these systems it is possible that the behavior could be controlled through the ZeroPowerODDEnabled registry key as discussed at the link.  It is unclear to me (I don't have any systems to check) how Lenovo Power Management Driver respected this settings and indeed how it was configured itself.  The Lenovo Settings and Vantage software presumable cannot control this setting.  So, it is possible some systems with Windows 8 installed also could not previously find a workable solution to keeping the optical drive on all the time.

- This brings us to present day and Windows 10.  Lenovo has deprecated the Power Manager software and Lenovo Settings, leaving only Lenovo Vantage to control power settings beyond those controlled natively by Windows 10.  Microsoft seems to have abandoned the ZPODD behavior in Windows 10 (perhaps they realized it wasn't worth the hassle) and in my testing the ZeroPowerODDEnabled switch does nothing to remedy the behavior (especially on Lenovo systems with the Power Management Driver installed).  It is possible you might need to configure this option however as well as the steps listed below.

The nuts and bolts of it is simply that Lenovo has configured the *default* behavior of the System Interface Foundation (the software that communicates between Vantage and the lower level Lenovo drivers/hardware) to disable the optical drive.  So, if you have installed the Power Management Driver and Lenovo Vantage (or Lenovo Settings, or Lenovo Companion, or anything else which requires the System Interface Foundation) you likely are having your optical drive powered off.  And, since the Lenovo configuration programs offer no settings to control the optical drive power that is being enforced by its own power management driver, you are out of luck).  Until now...

Previously, some posters had suggested that removing the Power Management Driver caused this issue to resolve.  Of course it would have since nothing would enforce it.  The problem with that is that:

a) Lenovo Vantage (and similar apps) couldn't control other power settings (like battery thresholds)

b) Your system would likely reinstall the PM Driver at next reboot and/or Windows Update.

Knowing that the Power Management Driver was the enforcing agent, I dug down into the registry on a few systems and discovered that the Power Management Driver uses the following keys on Windows 10 (and probably 8) to control this optical drive shut off:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data\AutomaticOddDisable

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lenovo\PWRMGRV\Data\OddDisableDuration

The first setting actually controls whether or not the Optical disc drive should be disabled.

The default is 1, which means disable it (turn the drive off).

The second setting is the duration in milliseconds to wait to disable.

The default is 60000 (1 minute).

Therefore, the fix is really quite easy when you know the existence of these keys.

Simply set AutomaticOddDisable to 0 and the drive will no longer be powered off.

Optionally you can keep the setting enabled and create a longer duration with OddDisableDuration.

I believe that all Windows 10 systems (and possibly Windows 8/8.1) will suffer from these symptoms, especially if they are running a Windows 10 build that was not preconfigured from Lenovo (i.e. a fresh customer install).  It is possible that on factory builds Lenovo has already disabled this settings, but a fresh install of Windows along with the updates from Windows Update/Lenovo website will leave the system in a configuration which powers the drive off.

This issue was driving me crazy and I couldn't find any references to a working solution.

I hope this information helps others.

Options

3 Posts

11-29-2017

PL

69 Signins

167 Page Views

• Views: 167
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Optical drive (ultrabay) power off solutions. Windows 10 (and earlier)

2018-07-02, 13:09 PM

Hey,

I just want to thank you A LOT! This is a real issue that nobody has addressed properly so far, until you came. Your solution totally works!

The only problem I'm getting now is that optical drive randomly disappears from the system after computer goes to sleep via lid closing. And lid closing ONLY (E570 laptop). Which is another problem I guess...

Kind regards,

Slawomir

Options

18 Posts

11-17-2011

US

79 Signins

436 Page Views

• Views: 436
  • Message 3 of 8

2019-05-12, 16:43 PM

I just found this thread and it also worked on my W500 with Windows 10 and the Lenovo PM driver.  I like using that and  Vantage to set the battery threshholds fot better life.  Having the optical drive shutdown after a minute was aggravating, it would restart by pushing the drive button, but could not be accessed from the keys or mouse.  This fixed that.  Thanks for figuring it out!!

Options

1 Posts

09-20-2019

NZ

1 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 4 of 8

2019-09-20, 16:44 PM

Thank you so much, I have spent hours trying to solve this, just when I did I then needed to update PowerManagerDrivers and was back to it not working...  ;-)

Options

3 Posts

08-05-2017

US

7 Signins

23 Page Views

• Views: 23
  • Message 5 of 8

2019-11-23, 17:01 PM

Thank you! My solution? was to keep a disk in the drive. That seemed to keep it powered on, but what a clumsy fix. I looked for days, before finding your solution. Great to have people like you on the Internet!

Options

3 Posts

08-05-2017

US

7 Signins

23 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2019-12-09, 18:22 PM

Just another THANK YOU! Looked all over, tried a million "fixes," and finally found your thread. I keep checking to see if it is still powered on - I just cannot believe it works. What would we do without helpful people like you? Thanks again.

Options

3 Posts

08-05-2017

US

7 Signins

23 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2019-12-09, 18:24 PM
Apparently, I forgot your fix that worked on Win7, when I installed Win10 for dual boot.
Options

3 Posts

07-13-2020

US

5 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 8 of 8

Optical drive (ultrabay) power off solutions. Windows 10 (and earlier)

2020-08-21, 8:16 AM
good research, well done, THANK you for reg keys, i had similarr issue, but in process to deside my sd without power dissapear from windows explorer at all(but still exist and feel fine is Device manager) So idesided to reinstall windows, on old version after fresh install evrithing was fine, but aafter update to 2020\08 i again faced no power issue, You post help me fix it!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete