Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

12-25-2020

Israel

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 3

P1 20MD supported docking station

2020-12-25, 7:52 AM

Hello guys!

Does anyone knows if there is a docking station for Thinkpad P1 20MD with windows + linux support?

Thanks!

Options

18 Posts

04-23-2020

United States of America

31 Signins

450 Page Views

• Views: 450
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:P1 20MD supported docking station

2020-12-26, 20:47 PM

I'm sure there are many out there which support it (since Thunderbolt 3 is a standard, after all), but the one I can personally vouch for is the CalDigit USB-C Pro dock (which despite its name supports both USB-C and TB3 standards). I've been using it with my P1 20MD for almost a year now, and it's been working great.

That said, there is one caveat that you should be aware of concerning USB-C/TB3 docks, including the CalDigit one, and that is the amount of power that the dock is able to provide to the laptop for charging. The CalDigit USB-C Pro provides 85W of power, and the TB3/USB-C standard in general is limited to 100W. The power adapter that comes with the P1 2nd gen, on the other hand, provides 135W of power. Now, that may seem like a big difference, but in practice it's actually not a huge problem. 85W is sufficient to power and charge the P1. The CPU core rarely uses more than 60W, and the entire integrated system's power consumption rarely exceeds 85W. The only times I've seen the system power consumption exceeds 85W is when both CPU and eGPU (Nvidia GPU) are completely maxed out. When that happens, what you may see is that the laptop temporarily "disconnects" from AC power (and falls back on battery power), or you may see your battery start to drain because the dock can't provide power at a rate higher than the consumption rate. If you intend on using your P1 for very CPU+GPU intensive stuff, like gaming, this may be a legitimate concern. But even in that case you can easily fix the issue by connecting your P1 to both your TB3 dock and the Lenovo 135W power adapter - the laptop will use the 135W power source when connected to both.

Bottom line: whichever dock you consider getting, make sure it's TB3 (or at least USB-C) compatible, and make sure it can provide at least 85W of power to the laptop (unless you intend on having it always connected to the 135W Lenovo power adapter, in which case the dock's power output won't matter).

P.S. One more quirk of using TB3 docks with the P1 laptop: make sure to go into your BIOS and enable the "Thunderbolt in Pre-Boot Environment" option if you want your laptop to recognize any USB peripherals connected to the dock before the operating system boots up. It's set to Disabled by default, which means any keyboard or mouse connected to the dock won't be responsive until the OS boots up - which is not always ideal, especially if you plan on dual-booting or using portable Linux distros.

Options

2 Posts

12-25-2020

Israel

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:P1 20MD supported docking station

2020-12-27, 20:45 PM

Thank you so so much!

Googling for docking stations for this laptop (with linux support) gives out very poor and depressing results..

I've nearly given up.

Thank you again!!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms