08-11-2018

US

43 Signins

494 Page Views

• Views: 494
  • Message 1 of 2

P1 Gen 2, machine idles hotter resuming from sleep

2020-08-24, 20:31 PM

P1 Gen 2, i9750, eGPU via thuderbolt 3, also have a Thunderbolt Workstation Dock Gen 2.

If I reboot and let machine idle it runs around 38-42 degrees.

If I put it into sleep mode and then resume it idles at 50-53 degrees....for hours.

Any ideas?

Options

9 Posts

02-26-2020

US

10 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:P1 Gen 2, machine idles hotter resuming from sleep

2020-09-01, 13:20 PM

I have tried to bring this to Lenovo's attention after my machine needed a new motherboard, as I had the same issue as you with the computer not wanting to go into sleep mode correctly. I believe that this issue is primarily the cause of the switchable graphics setup. Whenever the computer is connected to an external monitor, all applications are pushed through the Nvidia graphics versus the intel graphics. While this is normally all well and good, the issue is that the Nvidia graphics use about 7-10 watts of power even at idle, whereas the intel graphics use less than 1 watt. 

This means that if your machine is in your backpack and sleeping, the machine could be pushing 15-20 watts of power even at sleep.

LENOVO: Please update your switchable graphics so that the Nvidia graphics will not force background apps and non-intensive apps to the Nvidia card. We own a laptop to be mobile, and many of us use docks so that the laptop can also be used as a desktop replacement, 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete