Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Linux Operating SystemsOther Linux Discussions
All Forum Topics
Options

66 Posts

08-25-2017

Norway

68 Signins

589 Page Views

• Views: 589
  • Message 11 of 18

Re:P1 Gen 3 Linux option

2020-10-21, 21:17 PM

@MarkRHPearson   Wait, I'm confused. You're saying the L860-GL is getting Linux support, but you're also saying that the X1C8 uses it, while the online configurator says it's using the L850-GL. The P1 Gen 3 on the other hand is indeed featuring the L860-GL. 

So which modem is getting Linux support exactly? If you're saying that the X1C8 Linux editions will get the L860-GL and Linux support for that modem will be provided, then why won't the L860-GL get Linux support in the P1 Gen 3?

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding something here, but perhaps you're getting your modems mixed up? :)

Options

13 Posts

11-27-2013

Ukraine

20 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 12 of 18

2020-11-18, 8:54 AM

@MarkRHPearson, is there any update on the topic? Is there any chance to get P1 Gen3 with Linux while they are discounted in the US? What about other markets, like anywhere in EU?

Options

772 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

502 Signins

5981 Page Views

• Views: 5981
  • Message 13 of 18

2020-11-20, 15:13 PM

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply on this one - I lost track of it.

@ardevd - I've not been able to find clear guidance on the parts shipped - but the Linux support is going to be for the L860. I was a bit surprised to hear the L850 listed - and that modem won't be supported as there isn't an upstream PCI driver needed for it.

The L860 solution isn't ready yet - it's been more challenging than expected. The pieces we're working on to get in place are:

1. The kernel driver for the L860. This is being upstreamed currently and should be done by the end of the month. We had some challenges around suspend and resume that means it's taken the vendor longer than planned. Once it's upstream we'll work with distro's to pull it in, but that takes time too.
  2. We have been working on some kernel patches for the sensors in the thinkpad that are needed for controlling the transmission levels. We've had a few challenges getting this accepted for various reasons (you can read the mailing lists if you're really interested :)). I've had some conversations with the maintainer this week and we've agreed on the way forward and so I'm hoping to get that piece completed soon.
  3. We had some challenges around firmware update from the vendor that are being worked on
  4. We need to deliver an application for enabling and controlling the modem - that is almost complete but has a dependency on #2. 

I can't give an ETA yet but this is a priority item for us and I'm hoping we can wrap up the last pieces in the next month. I appreciate we're a long way over what we initially forecast. Apologies.

@radzish - the P1G3 is just going through e-certification and will be going online once that is done (along with a bunch of other platforms that are waiting for bandwidth in the websales team to get posted). Hoping that is in the next few weeks but it is sadly going to miss the black friday sales. 

I've been working with the websales team in Europe - no ETA yet on that but it's in progress - we hit some internal paperwork issues that need to be resolved but once those are resolved we'll start seeing the products show up there. I know we've got a bunch of people waiting for them

Thanks

Mark

Options

13 Posts

11-27-2013

Ukraine

20 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 14 of 18

2020-11-20, 17:47 PM

Hi Mark,

First of all thanks a lot for insights. Do you find it "safe" to get windows based P1G3 now and then install Linux on that? Will Lenovo provide its own Linux images that would be 100% compatible with hardware? So basically will it be possible to "convert" windows P1G3 to Linux one so that it 100% matches the one that is sold with Linux pre-installed?

Options

772 Posts

07-22-2019

Canada

502 Signins

5981 Page Views

• Views: 5981
  • Message 15 of 18

2020-11-20, 19:31 PM

Hi @radzish

We've completed Canonical's Ubuntu certification and both Ubuntu and Fedora 33 has been through the test cycle in our PA team so it's in good shape. You should be able to install either of those distro's and expect it to work and can let us know if it doesn't

For Fedora there are a couple of 'known limitations' that we're working with the Fedora community to addres

- brightness control in discrete mode isn't working (with nouveau driver). I believe patches are under review upstream for fixing this so they'll make it into Fedora in the not too distant future

- If you put a USB-c monitor into the thunderbolt port it is incorrectly identified as an internal display. My understanding is this is just a cosmetic issue.

There were some docking related issues that we're working on - but nothing that is likely blocking.

If you're a Ubuntu user you can install 20.04 and enable the Nvidia card and you should be equivalent to our OEM image, but you can PM me and I'll forward you the OEM image if you want that. We're still figuring the details of how to get that online generally I'm afraid

If you're a Fedora user - just grab what is on the Fedora site and it's the same. We make no tweaks.

Other distro's should work if they're fairly up to date and running a newish kernel. I've used Debian on it and have notes on getting the audio to work if you go that route. I don't believe we've done RHEL certification on the platform yet and that will be a while longer. 

If you have a burning desire to read user documentation I can forward you those. I hear they are great for insomnia ;)

Mark

Options

66 Posts

08-25-2017

Norway

68 Signins

589 Page Views

• Views: 589
  • Message 16 of 18

2020-11-21, 6:24 AM

Im still waiting for delivery for the P1 I ordered, but glad to head Fedora is working well on it. I specced it without s dGPU so hopefully it will be a blissful Linux experience :)

Thanks again for the great Linux support and the openness you're showing on these forums. 

Options

1 Posts

12-01-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 17 of 18

2020-12-01, 5:30 AM

Hi Mark,

I would be interested in your notes on audio with Debian :)

Thanks

Matt

Options

16 Posts

07-09-2020

Germany

20 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 18 of 18

2020-12-26, 9:21 AM

Hi Mark,

thanks for the detailed explanation.

I just opened a new thread about the annoying l850 fibocom driver situation.

Any plans from Lenovo what customers can do that bought a brand new T14 AMD model with a L850 that will obviously never work? Will there be an upgrade option to the L860 via service (or may be replacement by skilled customers themselves)? Otherwise the L850 is just an expensive piece of plastic inside my T14 :/

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)