Options

3 Posts

09-03-2020

AU

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 6

P1 camera broken after recent Windows 10 update?

2020-09-03, 2:11 AM

A couple of weeks ago, my integrated camera stopped working for Windows hello sign in with the error "couldn't turn on the camera".

The Windows camera app crashes out as soon as I start it, sometimes it will manage to show an image from the camera for a moment before dying.

Device manager shows 

with both showing "this device is working working properly".

When trying to log in, the white camera LED lights up and both camera red LEDs flash madly (as they did before) before it finally gives up.

Options

3 Posts

09-03-2020

AU

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

P1 camera broken after recent Windows 10 update?

2020-09-03, 2:32 AM
Starting VANTAGE, going to My Device Settings and clicking on Display & Camera causes VANTAGE to freeze for a moment, go blank and then die ...
Options

990 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

121 Signins

5541 Page Views

• Views: 5541
  • Message 3 of 6

Re:P1 camera broken after recent Windows 10 update?

2020-09-03, 10:21 AM

@ slapper wrote:

Starting VANTAGE, going to My Device Settings and clicking on Display & Camera causes VANTAGE to freeze for a moment, go blank and then die ...

Hi Slapper,

Try to Uninstall Lenovo Vantage

-Go to Windows Icon - Right click or Press the Windows key + X

-Select "Device Manager", then expand "System Devices"

-Right click "System interface Foundation V2 Device"

-Select "Uninstall System interface Foundation V2 Device" driver

-Reinstall Lenovo Vantage

If you can't find the System Interface Foundation device, Try to uninstall the Lenovo System Interface Foundation under "Programs and features" along with the Vantage app.  

- Use the "Search" function. Type "Programs and Features" , select "Add or remove programs" from the results. Find the Interface Foundation and Vantage App.

- Expand them and select Uninstall.

- Restart the computer and re-install both.  

You can find the newest Lenovo Vantage and Vantage features (if available for the device) on the Support Page for your device.

Just plot in the serial number for your device and hit enter, might have to hit it twice. Then head to Drivers & Software then Software & Utilities.

If this does not work. Try the Enterprise version found here

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

990 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

121 Signins

5541 Page Views

• Views: 5541
  • Message 4 of 6

2020-09-03, 10:30 AM

@ slapper wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, my integrated camera stopped working for Windows hello sign in with the error "couldn't turn on the camera".

The Windows camera app crashes out as soon as I start it, sometimes it will manage to show an image from the camera for a moment before dying.

Now for the Camera problems, hopefully you are able to use the Lenovo Vantage properly, if not then still check the troubleshooting steps below:

Please try the following :

Open Lenovo Vantage and check if the Camera privacy settings is on. Turn them off.

- Open Vantage, then my device settings.  

- At the top select Monitor and Camera (is under the heading).  

- Check in there if the camera is on or off.

- Set the setting to Off.

Also make sure that you have not accidentally clicked the "FN" button and the hotkey (usually F8) for turning the camera on and off on your keyboard.

Make sure there is nothing obscuring the camera. Some devices some with a small latch that can be used to cover the camera.

Please make sure there is no visible damage to the camera or around the camera area.

- In Windows, Press the Windows button+X , select "Search" and start typing "Camera Privacy Settings"

- Make sure the Privacy settings are set to "off" and that Camera access is set to "On"

- Scroll further down to see a list of apps that are using your camera.  

- Try to find the programs in question and make sure they have access to your camera by sliding the bar to the right.

If this does not fix the issue, continue below.

Step 1. Uninstall Camera Device + Drivers.

- Press the Windows key+X , select "Device Manager"

- Under "Cameras" and/or "Imaging devices" - Select the device in question, right click and select "Uninstall Device"

- If prompted to uninstall drivers associated with the device, tick the box and continue.

- Perform a restart of the computer to have Windows install the most generic drivers for this device.

- Download the newest drivers for you device from the Support Page:

- Just plot in the serial number for your device and hit enter, might have to hit it twice. Then head to Drivers & Software then Camera & Card Read

- Now double check the privacy settings and the app access to your camera as described above.

- You can also try using webcamtests.com to check for better compatible drivers for the camera.

Step 2. Rolling back to a previous Win 10 Version :
- Open the Windows 10 Settings Menu by clicking the gear icon in the Windows Start menu, or by pressing “Windows+I” keys.

- Click “Update & security”

- Click the “Recovery” tab on the sidebar.

- Under “Go back to the previous version of Windows 10,” click “Get started.”

- If this is not available, then there should always be a "restore point" you can choose from "System Recovery"

- Click the Windows key and type "System Recovery" and click "Recovery" in the list.  

- Select "Open System Restore" - Click "Next" and select the latest "Restore point" where the device was working.

**Note: System Restore Points will only remove Apps and Programs installed after the selected Restore Point date. It will not remove word/text files or pictures etc.

Step 3. Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update  

- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

In the event that this is not successful or the Rollback is not available, continue below:

Step 4. Check your antivirus software

In your antivirus software settings, look for settings that block access to your camera or permission to use your webcam. For help, visit your antivirus software company’s website.

In the unlikely event that this does not solve the issue, we will have to perform a factory reset of the device.

OKR - One Key Recovery

**This is a complete factory reset of the computer

**Loss of data can occur, so we advise you to backup your data if possible.

- Completely shut down the device.  

- Repeatedly press F1 on startup to enter BIOS.

OR

- Select the Start button, then choose Settings > Update & Security > Recovery. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.

- Select UEFI Firmware settings

Knowledge Base & Guides -> User Guides -> And clicking the User guide(Not HTML one) in the list -> Ctrl+F to search the document for "Reset"

- When the system boots up, a menu will appear, select System recovery and follow the recovery process.

- When entering the Windows environment again. Perform step 3 before allowing any Windows updates.

Hope it works out.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

3 Posts

09-03-2020

AU

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2020-09-04, 3:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I suspect I should have mentioned that the camera works fine in Teams, Zoom etc.

I went though all the steps you described, except for the Windows rollback steps.  Unfortunately, no change.

Teams, Zoom etc still works.  

eg: Vantage still crashes when I select the Display Camera page.  

Event Viewer gets 1 new Error followed by 5 Information entries.  The Application Error is:

Faulting application name: wwahost.exe, version: 10.0.19041.1, time stamp: 0x484cb762

Faulting module name: SpITDevMft64.dll, version: 1.0.0.23, time stamp: 0x5b2b4860

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000161b41

Faulting process id: 0x61e4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d68268b9a59911

Faulting application path: C:WINDOWSsystem32wwahost.exe

Faulting module path: C:WINDOWSsystem32SpITDevMft64.dll

Report Id: 5fac719c-1dbf-4bc2-83ed-f3378f9c573e

Faulting package full name: E046963F.LenovoCompanion_10.2006.41.0_x64__k1h2ywk1493x8

Faulting package-relative application ID: App

The Event Viewer after attempting to open the Windows Camera App is very similar (same exception number, same faulting DLL etc).

webcam.com happily finds the camera and displays real-time video.

Options

2 Posts

09-07-2020

NL

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-09-07, 19:47 PM

Same here on P53:

Camera + microphone (in- and external) + headset do not function. Speakers do. 

Uninstalled all drivers, installed from Lenovo, rebooted, searched internet, nothing. Kept me buzzy for almost a day, it just gets worse.. "Failed to create Conexant Audio Factory. The SmartAudio will now exit" keeps popping up. In Device manager everything seems fine, no exclamation marks, nothing. 

Is there any hardware check I can execute?

Also the same Vantage-freeze issue. Most of the time it's ok, but sometimes it simply freezes, have to use the power button to kill the machine

Camera app: error code 0xA00F4271<MediaCaptureFailedEvent>(0x800706BE)

Setting/Camera mention that Skype/Zoom/Teams all accessed the camera.. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete