Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

39 Posts

05-31-2021

United States of America

55 Signins

605 Page Views

• Views: 605
  • Message 1 of 8

P14s gen 2 WWAN upgrade

2021-06-03, 17:50 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a P14s gen 2 (Intel). Due to the long delay on custom orders I went with a preconfigured model, which unfortunately means no WWAN. It's not a blocker, the laptop will do its job without WWAN, and a long delay would have been worse. But I'd like to see if an upgrade is possible.

As I understand it, I will need:

• The WWAN antenna kit (my unit didn't ship with one) (e.g. part #5A30Z88150)
  • (optional) The additional MIMO antenna kit (e.g. part #02HK919)
  • A compatible WWAN card (to match the antenna setup)
  • A sim tray (e.g. part #02HK996)

Anything else I'm missing?

Sourcing seems difficult. I can't find any of the ~6 listed variants of the basic antenna kit. Is there any way to purchase these parts directly from Lenovo (that I might have missed in a Google search)?

For WWAN cards the parts list for the P14s gen 2 shows the QTL EM160R-GL and the QTL EM120R-GL (I think the 160 is to be installed with the optional MIMO antenna kit; neither are currently available as Lenovo parts, but maybe as non-Lenovo OEM). But similar ThinkPad models (e.g. P14 gen 1) list equivalent Fibocom cards (which are currently sold by Lenovo). Is there a known whitelist of cards for the P14s gen 2?

Thanks for your help!

Philipp 

Options

3656 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

286 Signins

18395 Page Views

• Views: 18395
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:P14s gen 2 WWAN upgrade

2021-06-03, 22:21 PM

Hello phgw,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

For ThinkPads, WWAN option should be configured at the time of order.
As of now, we don't have WWAN upgrade parts.
Hopefully as technology develops, it should be available as post purchase upgrade, thou we don't have any information about it yet.

Currently, there's no documentation for white list parts available.

Best regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

39 Posts

05-31-2021

United States of America

55 Signins

605 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2021-06-03, 22:45 PM

Thanks, Lorenzo!

It's understood that this isn't an officially supported upgrade at this time. Hopefully the parts will become more easily available soon, as they have for other models. The logic board does look fully capable of supporting WWAN, as long as I'm able to put in the missing parts.

I do hope we can get a statement on whitelisted cards from Lenovo tech soon; other than that, I guess my only option is to try different devices and see what the BIOS will accept.

I'd also be curious to hear from other users who've done this type of upgrade, maybe on another model.

Options

3656 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

286 Signins

18395 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2021-06-11, 15:57 PM

As much as I want to test it, however I do not have the same machine model. 
So far we have seen several parts specially WLAN that does accept beyond the whitelist as we are hoping such is the same as technology grew.

Let's wait and hear the comments of fellow users who might have tried this.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

39 Posts

05-31-2021

United States of America

55 Signins

605 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2021-06-12, 16:08 PM
Thanks, Lorenzo! Once I'm able to source the main WWAN antenna (and worked out a few other issues with the machine) I may try one of the available modules and post findings here. Philipp
Options

3656 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

286 Signins

18395 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-06-14, 21:20 PM

We'd appreciate the update.
Hopefully it will work out

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Options

1 Posts

08-05-2021

Poland

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 7 of 8

2021-08-05, 11:12 AM

Hi,

I am also considering P14s gen2 AMD configuration (21A0), but the pre-configured, available configurations usually do not include WWAN. On the other hand, I use T480s with Fibocom L830-EB-00 card, which is just fine for my needs, so I might consider just moving it from the old one to the new.

So, I am strongly interrested if it will work with P14s gen2, assumming the configuration I bought is "WWAN ready"? 

Options

39 Posts

05-31-2021

United States of America

55 Signins

605 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-08-05, 16:21 PM

For the Intel configuration, the recently released BIOS update 1.40 introduced an explicit blacklist that prevents the use of cards that aren't on the official parts list. It's probably safe to assume that they are also blocked on the AMD version, or if not, that they could become blocked at any point. There were a few threads from people who had successfully installed and used a WWAN card, and the BIOS update disabled their laptop until the card was removed. So it's clear that Lenovo (corporate, not the staff active here) does not want you to do this, you're supposed to buy the version with the card already installed.

If your card is the exact same as on the official parts list, maybe you'll be lucky and it works. The Intel config uses a Quectel card, but you should be able to find the official parts list for 21A0 on the support site.

Also caution on "WWAN ready". All the system boards are technically "WWAN ready" (they all have the sim slot and WWAN M.2 slot AFAIK), but that doesn't mean they ship with the necessary antenna modules. It's possible to add the antenna yourself (you do have to take apart the entire display assembly), but the parts are still extremely difficult to source in the US.

All things considered, I've given up on the WWAN card.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms