Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

04-07-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 7

P15 Gen 1 - USB-C port stopped working

2021-04-07, 20:26 PM

I just got my brand new P15 nearly top specs yesterday, was super excited.

So today as I was connecting all my peripherals and a monitor to a dongle plugged in to the USB-C port, the one closest to the charging port

it suddenly stopped working. I thought the dongle went bad or something, but no, it's the port. I replugged the dongle to another USB-C port next to it and everything is working fine.

However the original port, the one next to the charge port - still does not work at all. It doesn't recognize USB devices and doesn't even charge my phone plugged into it.

Please help. 

This is extremely frustrating. 

I'm very loyal to the brand, I'm the owner of T430 and W530 top specs models and now P15 Gen 1. 

I did not expect it to have issues on the second day.

Thank you.

Options

4 Posts

04-05-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 2 of 7

P15 Gen 1 - USB-C port stopped working

2021-04-08, 2:55 AM
Hey! I just got my P17 last week, and the USB ports status are even worse than yours. The thunderbolt type-C ports couldn't have HDMI output, I tried it with a type-C to HDMI cable, and with a dongle that connects to the thunderbolt ports and to the HDMI on the monitor. Both failed to have the HDMI output, the laptop also freeze when the cable was plugged in. I talked with the tech support and they suggested me to return it but without telling me why. Then I found out that this is a known issue back to 2018. https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/sk/en/solutions/ht508988 My guess is that both P15 and P17 series are impacted as well! Can't believe that this couldn't be fixed until now!! I'm seriously considering to return this P17 now.
Options

4 Posts

04-07-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

Re:P15 Gen 1 - USB-C port stopped working

2021-04-08, 5:48 AM

it's possible that both your USB-C to HDMI cable and your dongle are not compatible. Those thunderbolt ports are very finicky 

I suggest trying Lenovo's dock

I just purchased the Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 dock and everything is working great, even the port that wasn't working. I'll update this thread tomorrow morning and I'll try plugging in something else again, now that it's working. It'll show whether that port was only meant to work with a dock or it was some temporary malfunction and dock somehow fixed it. 

I connected 2 HDMI monitors to it, 3 USB peripherals and ethernet, so far so good.

Options

4 Posts

04-07-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-04-08, 19:14 PM

Update:

The thunderbolt port next to the charger still doesn't work when I plug in anything

HOWEVER I purchased a Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 dock and it works plugged in to that port.

User manual doesn't say anything about that port being exclusive to the dock only so I'll wait for the replacement to arrive and compare the behavior. If it's the same - that would confirm that that port only works with the dock.

Options

4 Posts

04-05-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 5 of 7

2021-04-08, 19:37 PM

Thanks for updating! It is still weird that one of the TB3 ports can only work with Lenovo dock while the other isn't require it.I tried the same setup (USC-C to HDMI) on my other HP laptop (also Window 10 Pro) and on my MBP Pro, both of them could work fine. My concern is that the TB3 and USB-C FW issues would slowly damage the USB hub chip over time. I already decided to return my P17.

Options

4 Posts

04-07-2021

United States of America

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-04-09, 17:32 PM

Another update:

After talking to Lenovo's support team they confirmed that both thunderbolt ports should work with any device plugged in, not just the dock.

And that there's no such thing as dock-exclusive thunderbolt port.

Once the replacements arrives, I'll test this behavior to confirm if my laptop is in fact defective OR perhaps the new one will have the same issue.

I'll update once more in a week or so.

Options

1265 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

86 Signins

6353 Page Views

• Views: 6353
  • Message 7 of 7

2021-04-09, 20:51 PM

Hello Tengotengo,

That's the good thing having computer warranty.
Let us know if everything is ok once you receive the new machine

Best regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms