Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

12-28-2020

Russian Federation

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 7

P15 TrackPoint problems

2020-12-29, 7:41 AM

Dear guru,

I am experiencing problems with TrackPad on my new P15 ... Everything works OK some time but suddenly TrackPad stops working (without any visible reasons, in different programs, places, etc). TouchPad keeps working at the same time. After restart it starts working again until the next crash ... I have the latest version of driver. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Vadim

Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

326 Signins

14351 Page Views

• Views: 14351
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:P15 TrackPoint problems

2020-12-29, 10:26 AM

Hi lva70,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Trackpad and touchpad are the same thing, but terms usually only vary depending on brand. Please try some of the troubleshooting steps found below:

Firstly we need to check if the touchpad (HID) is set to automatic in services. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del. Go to Task Manager. Click the service tab far right and scroll all the way down to the bottom and click "Open Services"
Find "Human Interface Device Service" in the list and make sure the "Startup Type" is set to "Automatic (Trigger Start)"
If not then right click it, select "properties" and select "Automatic" in the "Startup Type" in the "General" Tab.

If that did not do the trick, then continue with the steps below :

Step 1. Rolling back to a previous Win 10 Version :
- Open the Windows 10 Settings Menu by clicking the gear icon in the Windows Start menu, or by pressing “Windows+I” keys.
- Click “Update & security”
- Click the “Recovery” tab on the sidebar.
- Under “Go back to the previous version of Windows 10,” click “Get started.”
- After some elapsed time after last update(10+ days), this option is often not available. Please continue below.

- There should always be a "restore point" you can choose from "System Recovery"
- Click the Windows key and type "System Recovery" and click "Recovery" in the list.  
- Select "Open System Restore" - Click "Next" and select the latest "Restore point" where the device was working.
**Note: System Restore Points will only remove Apps and Programs installed after the selected Restore Point date. It will not remove word/text files or pictures etc.

Step 2. Disabling Automatic Hardware Driver update.
- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.
- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.
- Click the "System Icon"
- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"
- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"
**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Step 3. Updating all HID and I2C drivers.
- Press the Windows key + X and select "Device Manager"
- Expand "Human Interface Device"
- Right click "HID Compliant touch pad" / "I2C hid" and/or "Human Interface Device.
- Right click and select properties, then select the drivers tab, and then "Rollback Drivers" if available.
- Check if the touchpad comes back, if not, then continue back to the same location and continue below:
- Select "Update Drivers"
- Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
- Select "Pick from a list of available drivers on my computer"
- Select the newest mouse/touch related drivers for the "HID Compliant Touch pad/Human Interface Devices" if applicable. If not, leave it be.
- Select the newest I2C related driver for any of the "I2C / I2C HID" on the list..

Step 3.1 Uninstalling the touchpad/HID device with drivers.
- Press the Windows key + X and select "Device Manager"
- Expand "Human Interface Device"
- Right click "HID-Compliant Touch pad" and/or anything that has "I2C HID", eLan or Synaptics infront of it.  I.e :  "Synaptics HID Device".
- Select "Uninstall" , If prompted to uninstall drivers associated with the device, tick the box and continue.
- Expand "Mice and other pointing devices" and do the same for  "HID-Compliant mouse"
- Perform a restart of the laptop. 

Now try to download and install the latest drivers for your touchpad from the Support Site. 

Just plot in the serial number of the device and hit enter, might have to press it twice, then head to Drivers & Software, select Manual Update, then select the Mouse, Pen and Keyboard section if available (Note: If the device is new or using generic drivers, these will not be available.)

Step 4. BIOS reset
- Press the power button to completely shut down the unit.
- Press the F1 repeatedly on startup to enter BIOS.
- Navigate to the "Restart" tab
- Press "Load Default Settings"
- Save & Exit changes or F10.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

3 Posts

12-28-2020

Russian Federation

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 3 of 7

2020-12-29, 10:34 AM

@ Voithos wrote:

Trackpad and touchpad are the same thing, but terms usually only vary depending on brand. Please try some of the troubleshooting steps found below:

Thank you for the fast response! Probably, my terminology is wrong, sorry for that ... Talking "TrackPad" I mean that red button in the middle of the keyboard, probably the right term is "TrackPoint". Touchpad works OK all the time.

Options

1 Posts

04-12-2021

Finland

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 4 of 7

2021-04-12, 10:47 AM

Hi,

how about Vadim's original problem? I.e. the TrackPoint device occasionally stopping to work.

Quoting Vadim:

"Everything works OK some time but suddenly TrackPoint stops working (without any visible reasons, in different programs, places, etc). TouchPad keeps working at the same time. After restart it starts working again until the next crash ..."

This is exactly what I am also experiencing. I had first such stop 1-2 months ago, then a month later, but now already twice in one week. Only rebooting helps.

Is there any other possible reason than hardware failing? I have updated the driver & FW from Lenovo web pages.

Best Regards,

Angus

Options

1 Posts

06-17-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 7

2021-06-17, 15:47 PM

Hello - 

I'm having the same issue with my P15 Gen1. All drivers have been updated. 

Any updates on this from Lenovo?

Thanks,

Alex

Options

1 Posts

04-21-2021

Switzerland

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 6 of 7

2021-07-14, 13:59 PM

I am experiencing exactly the same problem. Please provide help. I checked already with the customer support and all they did was guiding me through reinstallation of the drivers, which did not solve the problem at all.

Options

1 Posts

07-17-2021

India

3 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 7 of 7

2021-08-11, 18:04 PM

The solution is ONLY rebooting

What works?

- Reboot

- Hibernate + Power ON

What doesn't work?

- Log out

- Starting / stopping any service related to mouse / disabling 

- Trying to update drivers

I have now given up that this will be solved. Better to move on with what works

PS: Signed up just to confirm in solidarity that this is a problem that Lenovo pretends does not exist. Let's move on and enjoy the other features of this lovely laptop!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms