Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

12 Posts

03-04-2015

UK

17 Signins

216 Page Views

• Views: 216
  • Message 1 of 4

P15 with Hyper-V

2020-10-08, 20:17 PM

Hi,

I took delivery last week of a brand new P15 with every option box ticked - 128GB RAM, XEON W-10885M processor, 4TB SSD, and an RTX 5000 GPU. 

I'm trying to enable Hyper-V in Windows 10, and if I do that and reboot, I get a BSOD with a report of an unhandled threading exception. Every single time, without fail. Happily the second time around I thought to switch on system restore and take a restore point, because the first time I enjoyed a re-install of Windows to get the machine working again. I checked and hyperthreading and virtualization are enabled in the BIOS. I assume it's a bug in Windows, since it's Windows reporting the crash.

I tried the same thing on my Gen5 X1 Carbon and that worked just fine. None of them have picked up the Windows 10 2004 feature update yet, but they otherwise are completely up to date. I can run VMWare Workstation on the X1 Carbon as well, if I disable Hyper-V, and that's OK. I haven't tried VMWare on the P15 yet to see if that works.

I actually intended to run the P15 as a Linux machine, and I thought I'd bought a machine certified for Linux, but when I installed my preferred distribution, OpenSuse Tumbleweed, on it in dual boot mode I was getting random kernel panics that crashed the machine, so I'd resigned myself to trying Linux again when it catches up with the newer hardware in the P15, or for Lenovo to make their Linux recovery ISO available, whichever comes first.

I'm out of ideas. The machine works perfectly without Hyper-V (although since the first Windows re-install the TPM chip is demanding I press a key on reboot to prove I'm sat at the console, and that's going to get old quickly) so it's usable, but underwhelming.

I'm hoping for clues from anyone who has had a more enjoyable experience than mine (well, I'm hoping for someone to say "Ah, just press button <x> in Windows and it'll be fine", but I accept the chances of that are slim to non-existent).

Thanks

Options

27 Posts

07-18-2013

United States of America

36 Signins

267 Page Views

• Views: 267
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:P15 with Hyper-V

2020-12-02, 17:39 PM

I have the same issue with my brand new Lenovo P15v and Windows 10 Enterprise - version 20H2 with latest updates.

Thought it might have been a specific update in Windows, hard to say that. 

I also got an updated BIOS from Lenovo and that did not make a difference either.   If I turn off the

virtualization settings in the BIOS it will boot OK, but Hyper-V doesn't actual run a VM even though

the feature is installed.  I am puzzled about what to do next.

Even my older Lenovo P50 and X1 tablet run Hyper-V fine with the latest windows.  So clearly some compatibility issue.

Options

27 Posts

07-18-2013

United States of America

36 Signins

267 Page Views

• Views: 267
  • Message 3 of 4

UPDATE: P15 with Hyper-V - Got it to Word

2020-12-16, 15:08 PM

Update –

I had some luck with getting Hyper-V to fully run with Windows 10.

The answer is in this article here:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-update-causes-blue-screen-of-death-for-these-thinkpad-laptops-warns-lenovo/

At the bottom it says:

Fortunately, Lenovo notes there is a solution:

"Disable the Enhanced Windows Biometric Security setting in BIOS Setup -> Security -> Virtualization menu."

So I am still testing, but I got it up and running and will let you know.

I just turned off this one setting and that seems to have solved it for now.

Makes sense because it is a Windows featured not yet release by MS.

Wonderful, right...

Options

12 Posts

03-04-2015

UK

17 Signins

216 Page Views

• Views: 216
  • Message 4 of 4

Re:P15 with Hyper-V

2020-12-16, 15:20 PM

Marvellous. Thanks, I'll try it on mine. 

I guess Microsoft had to prepare the ground for the feature to be supported, but you'd think they could roll out all the changes required to support it with the feature when it is available. Or Lenovo could not provision that feature in the BIOS until the software that needs it is available from Microsoft, then enable it with a BIOS update Or if they've known about it for a while, warn you when you buy the laptop that you should disable the BIOS switch...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms