Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

26 Posts

08-17-2021

Germany

18 Signins

150 Page Views

• Views: 150
  • Message 1 of 8

P15s Gen2i -- Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Driver - 10 [64] - 2.0.382.3 issue

2021-08-18, 5:24 AM

Just popped up, that there was an update installed one hour ago...

Since then the fan is running constantly at high rpm... that's fae away from intelligent at 22°C ambient temp...

Please let me know if this will now be the status quo when surfing the internet and not using the power of that workstation.

Thank you.

Options

4296 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

335 Signins

21355 Page Views

• Views: 21355
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:P15s Gen2i -- Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Driver - 10 [64] - 2.0.382.3 issue

2021-08-19, 18:40 PM

Hello SAB GmbH,

Greetings

Have you followed the instructions from the readme text file?
Any other changes occurred on the machine?

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

26 Posts

08-17-2021

Germany

18 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

Re:P15s Gen2i -- Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Driver - 10 [64] - 2.0.382.3 issue

2021-09-22, 17:30 PM
Oh boy, what a mess with that Laptop... After having that fan problem we figured out, that the processor is not runnning on benchmarks. The mainboard and the fan were replaced by a technician. Everything got more wors. In the end we reinstalled a clean windows10 and then the cpu started to work but the noise the machine made was absolutely not acceptable. Even having the new BIOS FW flashed it didn't change the fan problem getting stuck at full throttle even after the machine is back in idle. Now the laptop is at Lenovo since I refused to beta test and benchmark the machine myself according to the support. This behaviour is found in a few posts around the internet and I guess it's a design issue, not a user issue... Cheers Mike, now working on my private 2011 iMac with no issues rendering 30 min 4k videos on an i5 gen2 (!)....
Options

4296 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

335 Signins

21355 Page Views

• Views: 21355
  • Message 4 of 8

2021-09-22, 23:15 PM

Hi SAB GmbH,

Can you try disabling or uninstalling the Lenovo Intelligent Solution and see if there is any change?
Else try changing some BIOS Configuration.
Under Power are some setting to set on maximum performance and likewise CPU power management to disable.
Then save and exit and observe.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

26 Posts

08-17-2021

Germany

18 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2021-09-23, 1:51 AM

Hello Lorenzo,

I appreciate your suggestions.

But to be honest, did you read my last Post?

The Laptop is at Lenovo Service Center Germany.

I have tested enough the last weeks. It's a shame to ask clients to start troubleshooting themselves although there is a service plan paied with pickup next day for 34 months left.

I have tried everything possible, starting with checking config, opening cases at Adobe (as video rendering was a nightmare, projects got damaged and even a 4k youtube video made the display stutter), then our IT tried to find out and troubleshoot... Lenovo 1st and 2nd level service were remote on the machine for at least 6 hours, mainboard and fan were replaced and still the machine did not perform anywhere near the specs would suggest. Now the machine is at Lenovo, I have invested at least 40 working hours into this case, it's enough I think.

I just post this here, so other users don't waste life time, there is little to no information about the P15s gen2 i7, 32GB, 1 TB, Nvidia T500/4GB(check your retail price for that config)...

I will provide final information after the case is Closed by the service.

Options

26 Posts

08-17-2021

Germany

18 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-10-19, 6:08 AM

After having switched mainboard and fan unit, the Laptop started to cry it's guts out...

Cooling was a nightmare, the cpu started to produce highfi transistor/cap screaming, the technician nearly fell off the table...

A new clean installation of Win10 made it look better, but still the benchmarks were 1/3 under the avarage of what it should have been.

Updates via Lenovo Vantage didn't help and still 4k rendering started stuttering.

The Laptop was sent to Lenovo where it sat about 2 weeks without even been checked, only after I called the service line and sent 1-2 eMails the machine was looked at :o(

Seriously, this made me...well, you can imagine what it made me think.

Nontheless, I got a feedback, that the machine is running "as meant", after asking if they have run a benchmark or a 4k rendering, or a t least a CAD file on it, I got the info that they only use theyr preprietary benchmark tests and these show that everything works fine...

They returned the laptop, I installed nothing, opened up youtube and watched a 4k video for about 3 minutes and it started to stutter again, it seems it is switching between internal gpu and the T500, can't decide which to use and then just stutters/lags. Lenovo will refund. Thank you all for your time and hope your machine is running better.

Options

20 Posts

10-02-2019

United States of America

23 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 7 of 8

2021-10-21, 19:17 PM

I am seeing the same performance issues on multiple P15s Gen 1 machines that we own. Anything video related after a few minutes it gets laggy. I noticed with GPU-Z it would should some power limits along with temp limits. 

Options

26 Posts

08-17-2021

Germany

18 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-10-28, 9:03 AM

I have benchmarked with Geekbench and some Game benches... sometimes the CPU stays at 800-1000MHz without any reason.

If you have a heavy GPU task the mainboard swithes to the NVIDIA T500... but in real world tasks it starts lagging and switches forward/backward between the GPUs...

Even a 4k YT Video made the machine stutter, Adobe Premiere/Rush crashed and destroyed the files repeatedly, you can just run the clip and set to "play endless/repeat" and after the 2-3 iteration it starts lagging, loosing frames and if you're lucky it doesn't detroy the file. I'm talking about 15sec 1080p clips, with no colour processing applied.

CPUz and Taskamanger show no high temps, so there is no throtteling from that side, at least I can't see anything.

The Lenovo proprietary tests run with no crash, but also the CPU doesn't go up.

After we made a fresh Win10 install, the CU started to work propperly but still we had issues with the videoediting and the benchmark numbers were about 30% less than expected (Geekbench 3800point vs 4800-5200 average with that machine, first runs with Windows from Lenovo had only 1700points)...that's not acceptable.

Anyway, we're recieving the money back, I have created a shopping cart with a MacMini M1 and 32" Display plus a few gimmicks like Apple keyboard/moue and few addons for less than 1200€ net price :-O

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms