Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

04-05-2021

United States of America

9 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 1 of 4

P17 Thunderbolt and USB-C Issues! No HDMI output

2021-04-08, 3:10 AM

Hi I just got my brand new P17 last week. Absolutely love it!

However, I found out later that all the type-C ports couldn't support HDMI output. If I plug the HMDI cable (type-C to HDMI) to the P17's thunderbolts, the laptop would freeze, like it is running an infinite loop....... I need to unplug the HDMI cable to make the laptop working again.

The USB-C port also got issues with the HDMI output, if I use a USB-C dongle, sometimes it could have the HDMI output but most of time it is not able to recognize the monitor. 

So far I did all the updates I could find online, from Windows, Vantage, etc. I believe that all the FW and drivers are update-to-date. 

I believe that this is P17's issues is that the same cable and monitor could work on my other HP laptop, it has no issues with the thunderbolt connection at all.

Please help if you have anything in mind.

I do find this SUPPORT link from Lenovo that the TB3 FW is a known issue. But this is back to 2018, how can this issue still not fixed?

Critical Intel Thunderbolt Software and Firmware Updates - ThinkPad - Lenovo Support SK

Options

2629 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11227 Signins

60671 Page Views

• Views: 60671
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:P17 Thunderbolt and USB-C Issues! No HDMI output

2021-04-08, 12:55 PM

I have a new P17 as well. 4K screen and T2000 graphics. External monitor is LG 27UN850 (LG HDR 4K), connectable via DP, HDMI or USB-C. I've not used either DP or USB-C input connections on the LG, but only HDMI input (just because those are the cables I have, HDMI-to-HDMI and USB-C-to-HDMI).

I have no problem connecting my LG HDR 4K external monitor via (a) HDMI port on the P17 to HDMI on the LG, or (c) Thunderbolt USB-C port on the P17 to HDMI port on the LG.

But so far I have had NO SUCCESS connecting the same LG HDR 4K external monitor through any of the ports on my own TOTU 13-in-1 USB-C dongle (connected to the P17 through either of the two Thunderbolt ports on the P17). I've tried both of the HDMI ports on the dongle (i.e. HDMI on the LG to either HDMI on the TOTU) as well as the USB-C port on the dongle (i.e. HDMI on the LG to USB-C on the TOTU), and have not been successful.

Interestingly, when I simply connect the TOTU dongle to the P17 all by itself (with nothing at all connected to the dongle) I get a notification from Windows that "display connection might be limited" immediately, even with no actual external display connected to the TOTU.  This is unexpected (but perhaps it's not HDR-capable, and this is just a warning), but might explain why I'm unable to connect either my LG HDR 4K monitor or my Eizo CG318-4K monitor. Again both of these external dislplays work perfectly for me when connected directly to the HDMI port on the P17 or through one of the Thunderbolt ports. But neither seems to even be visible to Windows when connected through the TOTU, to either the TOTU's HDMI or Thunderbolt ports.

One more thing. The first time you connect an external monitor to the P17 Windows wants to bring it up in clone mode (i.e. 1|2 shown in Display properties). This may perhaps cause problems or confusion if your laptop screen is 4K and the external monitor is not 4K.  Or, if your laptop screen is FHD and your external monitor is 4K, I would imagine the initial clone mode would put the clone mode external display in FHD.

Anyway you really want to be in "extend these displays" mode (or even "show only on 2" which will automatically revert to laptop-screen-only if you don't have the external monitor connected at the moment) to properly use two different screens in two different resolutions, scale factors, etc., so you might perhaps initially set the laptop screen to normal FHD resolution (i.e. 1920x1080) so that no matter what your external monitor is you can at least come up in clone mode successfully, with a 1920x1080 desktop on both screens. Then right-click on desktop, select Display Resolution, scroll down to Multiple displays, and set "extend these displays". Now each monitor is completely independent of the other, and you can configure each one to whatever display resolution and scale factor to want. Once that's done you can now go back and revert the 4K laptop screen to 3820x2160-250%, or 2560x1440-200% or keep 1920x1080-125%, as you prefer.

Options

7 Posts

04-05-2021

United States of America

9 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 3 of 4

2021-04-08, 19:44 PM
Have you tried the TOTU dongle on other laptops? My P17 is also with 4K and T2000, but none of its TB3 ports could work with HDMI output. The weird part is that the HDMI could work if I use a dongle on the USB-C port (HDMI on the dongle to HDMI on the monitor), but it would have continuous noise after the P17 goes into sleep mode. BTW, I have three monitors, one Lenovo, one LG, and one MSI, none of them could work with the P17's TB3 ports.
Options

2629 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11227 Signins

60671 Page Views

• Views: 60671
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-04-09, 3:54 AM

I've now run an identical series of tests using my P70. It has just one Thunderbolt USB-C port, and only has a FHD screen with nVidia M3000M graphics. But certainly very similar to the P17.

Anyway, I report the exact same results testing with my P70 as previously reported with the P17. The external LG HDR 4K monitor (using one of its HDMI ports) works perfectly when it is plugged into the HDMI port of the P70 using an HDMI-to-HDMI cable. And likewise it works perfectly when plugged into the TB3 port of the P70 using an HDMI-to-UDB-C cable.

In contrast, once again it fails to work when connected through the HDMI ports or USB-C port on my TOTU dongle. I don't think the USB-C port on the dongle is Thunderbolt, so that failure is not a surprise. What is kind of a surprise is the continued failure to be able to successfully utilize either of the two HDMI ports on the TOTU. I can't explain that, but it fails with the P70 same as with the P17. So perhaps there's something defective on my TOTU. I could swear I successfully tried connecting my Eizo CG318-4K through the dongle with HDMI a long time ago when I bought the TOTU, but that was done with a lesser-capable HDMI cable than I'm using now with my LG HDR 4K.

In other words, the HDMI cable I'm currently using is an HDR-capable "premium certified" HDMI cable, and its' failing to support the LG monitor which itself is HDR-capable. The lesser HDMI cable I'd used to test with the Eizo monitor does NOT support HDR, nor is the Eizo itself capable of supporting HDR. So maybe that explains why running the LG through the TOTU is failing, if the TOTU itself can't handle HDR. Don't really know.

Bottom line: no problem using either Eizo or LG monitors connected using HDMI ports on the monitors, on both P17 and P70, using both HDMI and Thunderbolt ports on the P17 and P70.

And the HDR-capable LG monitor DOES NOT successfully connect through the HDMI ports of my TOTU dongle when using a "premium certified" HDMI cable that is HDR-capable.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms