09-08-2020

CA

2 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 2

P43s stuck on self-healing BIOS screen

2020-09-08, 3:32 AM

I recently installed updates and upon restarting my laptop, it's been stuck on this "Self-healing BIOS backup progressing" screen, at 1%,for over an hour (image attached, sorry about the blurriness). How long does this normally take? I've read about issues after BIOS updates... Should I be worried? 

20200907_232613.jpg
Options

1020 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

124 Signins

5701 Page Views

• Views: 5701
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:P43s stuck on self-healing BIOS screen

2020-09-08, 11:07 AM

@ ashwini88 wrote:

I recently installed updates and upon restarting my laptop, it's been stuck on this "Self-healing BIOS backup progressing" screen, at 1%,for over an hour (image attached, sorry about the blurriness). How long does this normally take? I've read about issues after BIOS updates... Should I be worried? 

Hi ashwini88,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

This happened right after a BIOS update ? If so, then there might be some file corruption or hardware driver incompatibility issues that has occurred during the update.

Below you will find a good few steps on how to deal with it, hopefully the first step, being booting into safe mode (with networking) to perform a backflash of the BIOS will be the only thing needed.

Step 1. Setting BIOS Back Flash to Enabled in BIOS

Press F1 repeatedly on startup to get into the BIOS.

Navigate to the Security Tab, then click "UEFI BIOS Update Options"

Make sure "Secure RollBack Prevention" is set to OFF

Now head to the "Startup" section.

Select "Boot Mode" and set it to "Diagnostic"

Press F10 (Save & Exit).

(I am not entirely familiar with all ThinkPads, but I do believe you should be able to boot into Safe mode through the Diagnostic Splash screen, if not then continue to step 2)

Step 2. Booting in Safe Mode

If you are unable to get past the startup screen, you can force the Advanced Startup Options screen by forcing two or three consecutive interruptions during the startup process. You can do this easily by restarting your PC during the startup phase.

- In the Advanced Startup Options screen, select Troubleshoot and then click on Advanced options.

- Inside Advanced options, click on Startup Settings and then click the Restart button.

- In the Startup Settings, press F4, F5 or F6 to boot with one of the three Safe Modes available.

- If you successfully have managed to enter into the Windows Safe Mode with Networking,

- Download, right click and select Run As Administrator on the previous BIOS file to flash your BIOS back to the previous version.

- Previous BIOS v.n2iuj23w

In the event you are unable to get into safe mode, you can find the ISO file of the BIOS version here : Bootable USB/CD BIOS iso file.

Set the Boot priority to the bootable USB flash drive or CD, then backflash the BIOS through this method instead.

If you are able to backflash the BIOS in Windows Safe mode. I'd suggest running through some disk errors to clean up any errors that might still be lingering:

Step 3: Perform an SFC, CHKDSK and DISM scan designed to fix Windows file corruption.

- Press Windows key + R to open up a Run dialog box.  

- Then, type “cmd” and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open up an elevated Command Prompt.  

- When prompted by the UAC (User Account Control), choose Yes to grant admin privileges.

**Note: If you are unable to get past the startup screen, follow Step 3 to get into the Advanced Startup Options menu, then go to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.

- In the elevated Command Prompt, type the following command to initiate an SFC scan:

- sfc /scannow

- Return to the Command prompt and type in the following command:

- chkdsk /f C:  or just chkdsk

**Note: This utility will perform an analysis on your disk and repair any errors it manages to find. Keep in mind that you need to change C to your drive letter if your OS is located somewhere else.

When the repair strategy is complete, reboot your machine and see if you manage to get past the startup screen.  

- Return to the elevated Command Prompt using step 1 and type in the following command:

- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

**Note: This utility will replace any corrupted Windows file with fresh copies downloaded from Microsoft’s server. It’s important that you have a stable internet connection before initiating this scan.

If nothing helps get the device back into working order, then I'd suggest performing using the Recovery Media or a fresh Windows 10 Installation:

Step 6: Fresh Install by the use of Recovery Media or the Windows Creation Tool.

Head over to the Support Page, search with serial number, go to "Drivers & Software" , select order recovery media if available for your unit.  

If no Recovery Media is available. You can perform a clean install using the Windows Creation Tool

In the event the device does not boot from USB, please follow the link below on how to set that up in BIOS:

How to boot from USB - Windows

In your case, enter BIOS by repeatedly pressing F1 on startup.

Disabling Fast Boot/Fast Startup can also remedy the problem with the device not booting from a USB drive.

Then install using that USB drive.

If the device came pre-installed with a Windows version then the license/serial key is integrated, when it asks for a license key, just press the text "I don't have a key" let it finish installing.

Perform the Disabling of Automatic Hardware drivers as linked below and then perform a Windows Update as usual.

If you have a physical key, just plot it in and continue.

Step 7. Recommended: Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update

- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

I hope it all works out! o/

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete