Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

07-24-2016

Namibia

18 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 1 of 5

P50 Colour Calibration - Profile Issues

2016-07-24, 17:56 PM

Hi, I just got my first Lenovo Thinkpad (a P50) ever. 

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few issues.

The first one is colour calibration. The Pantone Colour Calibrator installed on the Machine is useless. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but every time I want to calibrate the screen the thing needs to be reinstalled and then it makes the screen yellowish. In any case, not happy with it at all.

I am using the 4K screen. Does anyone know of a better way to calibrate the screen, what are the good colour profiles, etc.

The second issue is that colour profile won't hold. As soon as the machine goes to sleep the profile resets to what is, I guess, a default profile which is very dark. I have been using Macbook Pro for the last decade and this Lenovo 4K screen is, I have to say rubbish. On a GBP 3,500 laptop to have such a rubbish screen, not sure. Fairly disappointed. Not nearly bright or clear enough. Anyway, I digress. So, as soon as the machine goes to sleep when woken up the profile resets to something dark.

Is there any way to fix this.

I found this article (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/color-space-setting-won-t-hold/m-p/382171#M14423) but that did not help.

I am waiting for the Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter so I can connect this to my external monitor but in the mean time, I was wondering if someone could help me with this. Thanks so much.

Options

281 Posts

12-08-2008

United States of America

538 Signins

3089 Page Views

• Views: 3089
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: P50 Colour Calibration - Profile Issues

2016-07-24, 20:19 PM

in terms of color profiles, someone in this forum recommended the calibrated profile of netbookcheck, you can find it at:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/uploads/tx_nbc2/P50_4k.icm (you sound 10x more knowledable than me, but you just open color management, and add this a default profile).

the full review where they discuss the profile is: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-P50-Workstation-Xeon-4K-Review.168604.0.html

I have not noticed the change in tone to be dramatic when waking up, could it be auto-brightness? 

Options

4 Posts

07-24-2016

Namibia

18 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2016-07-24, 20:37 PM

Thanks so much. I will look into this. 

Autobrightness? 

I am new to Lenovo.  

Could be.

Need to check that. 

Options

125 Posts

01-30-2016

Denmark

237 Signins

2152 Page Views

• Views: 2152
  • Message 4 of 5

2016-07-25, 12:03 PM

Are you running Windows 7 or 10?

You are doing nothing wrong regarding the color calibration. In a (by now) old thread I called the built-in color calibrator by the name Fisher-Price colorimeter, because it is nothing but a toy. It cannot calibrate a wide-gamut screen as the P50 4K screen to anywhere near good results. As to why Lenovo implemented this useless tool, I don't know. Perhaps it is some sort of freebie from Xrite, but in my opinion such a marketing attempt can only back-fire.

The profile jdrodrig linked to is obtained using a spectrophotometer so it should be as good as it can get (provided all displays are equal).

I also have to agree with you that the 4K screen is pure rubbish. Like tunnel vision. Unfortunately, Lenovo didn't and don't see the problem. These are sad times to buy a workstation-class notebook. Competitiors have reliability issues or suffer from very simple, but amazingly bad decisions, so the P50 actually appears to be the least worst poison at the moment.

Options

4 Posts

07-24-2016

Namibia

18 Signins

66 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2016-07-26, 15:16 PM
Thanks so much.

I am not sure what is happening and why it is happening, but when I start the machine the colour profile momentarily "flashes" and from some darker one to the selected one.

Not sure if this is something that I screwed up or what is going on.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms