Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

125 Posts

01-30-2016

Denmark

237 Signins

2152 Page Views

• Views: 2152
  • Message 211 of 296

Re: P50: Cracked Palmrest Repair

2017-03-08, 20:33 PM

1) As Phil_C mentioned, could you please describe in more detail what the solution is?

2) What should a non-US customer do if affected? Can we refer to the same service TIP numbers?

Options

3 Posts

02-11-2017

United States of America

9 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 212 of 296

2017-03-08, 20:52 PM

As far as I can tell in my interactions with Lenovo Support, the solution seems to entail sending the laptop in to the depot even if you have on-site support. The person I spoke to gave no convincing reason as to why sending in the laptop to the depot is necessary other than simply saying that it was because the part is plastic. Lenovo support also suggested that I visit one of their business partners in my area who will be able to fix it, but if the business partner can do so, why can't an on-site technician do the same? Additionally, I will likely also have to pay for labor if I decide to use the business partner option, even if I have an existing warranty.

Considering that this is either a flaw in the design or the material on Lenovo's part, this is extremely disappointing. Lenovo is effectively saying (to me) that affected customers will simply have to be without their laptops for about a week if they wish to fix this issue without further expense. Keep in mind that customers had no fault with regards to this issue except that they chose to buy a P50. In other words, it comes across to me as a situation of their fault but our inconvenience, which is extremely disappointing, especially when the P50 is a premium machine in terms of cost.

Additionally, next-day on-site support has consistently NOT been next-day for me as parts are always unavailable or back-ordered. I am honestly left wondering what exactly did I pay for when I got the on-site next-day warranty.

Options

2 Posts

12-29-2016

Canada

17 Signins

162 Page Views

• Views: 162
  • Message 213 of 296

2017-03-09, 0:11 AM
I contacted Amy two days ago with no reply. Below is my message to her:
Today looked promising with regards to the repair we have been waiting 6 months for. I called Lenovo this evening only to find out that Lenovo does not take a customers inconvenience seriously. 7 to 10 working days is not an acceptable timeline for any business computer to be repaired. My son is an architecture student. This is a business computer. No college student or business person can afford to shut their studies or business down for more than a day due to the demands studies & work put on a person. When the Lenovo rep told me that they would send me a package for me to ship the computer away I was floored. Mike's Computer in Abbottsford BC Canada, one of your business partners confirmed that the old palmrest part number was in their inventory & would be replaced within a day. Drop off at opening & pick up mid day or early afternoon. But that would be another known defective part. Who would want the old part number when a new updated or redesigned part has been released? Please insure that Lenovo couriers a replacment palmrest immediately to Mike's Computer 31550 S Fraser Way #1, Abbotsford, BC, Canada, V2T 4C6, care of Scott, their approved Lenovo technician. You can reach him at (604) 870-0262. I am fed up with Lenovo. 6 months is already too long to wait & I refuse to wait 7 to 10 days with no computer. My sons studies & grades depend on it. My case is #CQ9DJDY. The computer is #PC-0F4W0D. The part must be at Mikes Computer for my son next week when he has a rare opportunity to take his computer for repairs.
Options

12 Posts

02-22-2016

Germany

33 Signins

322 Page Views

• Views: 322
  • Message 214 of 296

2017-03-10, 11:40 AM

wrote:

As far as I can tell in my interactions with Lenovo Support, the solution seems to entail sending the laptop in to the depot even if you have on-site support.

I can only tell about the situation in Germany: I had such a crack in the bezel and it was repaired by a Lenovo Partner at my kitchen table in less than 30 minutes.

Options

9 Posts

01-11-2017

United States of America

37 Signins

293 Page Views

• Views: 293
  • Message 215 of 296

2017-03-10, 12:46 PM
A line of thinking some of you may not be considering... Those who had the bezel replaced Before this resolution had a "Replacement", not necessarily a "Repair" (and in one case, more than one replacement because it wasn't repaired). As we've seen, those with cracked bezels tend to have some sort of lump under the crack, a situation that shouldn't exist. Ever consider that "local partners" (who only replace parts) aren't informed enough to troubleshoot this oddity of an issue? That perhaps Lenovo wants the actual units in hand so they can try and conclusively identify the problem and Repair it instead of just chucking another bezel on that will crack again. Yes this sucks, I'm dealing with this after spending my own money not as some company supplied unit. I rely on the laptop for my income, so I'll be without a means of earning money while the laptop is away.
Options

3 Posts

02-11-2017

United States of America

9 Signins

52 Page Views

• Views: 52
  • Message 216 of 296

2017-03-10, 15:19 PM

If they want to conclusively identify the problem for each specific laptop and therefore want the laptop at the depot, that's more understandable - but why not just say so outright, and why give a unconvincing reason of "it's plastic" as the justification?

Additionally, if the Lenovo Partners are uninformed, then why does Lenovo tell me that I can go to a Lenovo Partner and get it fixed - especially if, as pinch1 states, the Lenovo Partner may not have the appropriate part? Why does Amy state in her solution that the solution "requires the system to be serviced by Lenovo, a Lenovo Partner or Lenovo Retailer"? If they are uninformed, then Lenovo should say that to justify the depot option instead of offering the Lenovo Partner option as an alternative.

That said, I may be alone in this, but I also got onsite in order to avoid the well-noted time and quality issues with depot repair.

Options

27 Posts

04-06-2016

Germany

103 Signins

467 Page Views

• Views: 467
  • Message 217 of 296

2017-03-10, 17:04 PM

Could you share some more information.

I am located in Germany, have a cracked bezel as well. But my machine is out of warranty already.

Best,

Options

605 Posts

02-24-2014

United States of America

626 Signins

9078 Page Views

• Views: 9078
  • Message 218 of 296

Re: P50 Keyboard bezel crack

2017-03-13, 7:04 AM

Indeed my W540 also developed a minor crack. It's supposed to have some super duper plastic with fibers (marketing blurb)... NOT!

Think carefully.  There is no lock on the lid to solidify the closed system.  It's designed to fail.  Someone has not figured out how to make good plastic engineering. The only engineering, is warranty disclaim.

In all good faith, I did not make a warranty claim, as the thought of sending in the whole system for cosmetic repairs  is abhorrent to me..... particularly, since I would need to disembowel the black box of it's two SSD's before sending.  The SSD carriage is non removable, unlike the previous T430s and Dells. Never again.

See:  https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Crack-in-W540-screen-frame/td-p/2043716

The solution is to place a lock on the lid when closed, and a groove for the fingers when opening, like the Google Pixel or Samsung Chromebooks.  All good computers have a latch, and a grove to open the lid.  Now we have the 'Job Effect' Form, over function. 

Options

605 Posts

02-24-2014

United States of America

626 Signins

9078 Page Views

• Views: 9078
  • Message 219 of 296

Re: P50 Keyboard bezel crack

2017-03-13, 7:05 AM

"Mil-Spec"  -  Which military???  Not US!

Options

22 Posts

06-22-2016

United States of America

35 Signins

266 Page Views

• Views: 266
  • Message 220 of 296

2017-03-15, 16:06 PM

No use.  Lenovo is still asking for $300 for this repair.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms