English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

554 Posts

06-30-2011

GI

1350 Signins

3952 Page Views

  • Posts: 554
  • Registered: ‎06-30-2011
  • Location: GI
  • Views: 3952
  • Message 1 of 2

P50 HD config question.

2016-08-22, 14:11 PM

I have a W530 with 2TB samsung SATA 3 SSD, and a 512GB mSATA drive.  I dont use the 3rd drive option as I need the optcial drive most of the time.  I need more space.

 

I see the P50 seems to have more options, but I have been unable to get a definitive answer from Lenovo about what configurations are possible.  i assume here that I will have to bin any drive which comes with the P50.

 

1) It seems to have 2x full size m.2 drives, and 2x 2.5" HD bays, is this correct?

 

2) Are the 2x 2.5" bays both SATA 3, or is one SATA 2 like the mSata on the W530?

 

3) Can one have 2x m.2 drives, AND 2x 2.5" SSD drives (i.e. 4 drives) at he same time?  The blurb on the site says max 3 drives (but doesnt say which)

 

4) What is the max config given 2x m.2 1TB drives, and 2x 2TB SSD drives?  is it 6TB or 4TB?  

 

5) does the P50 have optical, and an option to replace with drive bay (for a 5th drive?)

 

6) are all the drives user accessable without breaking warranty?

 

7) are the m.2 slots full lenth, e.g. will thay take this: Samsung MZ-N1 N5E1 T0BW 1TB 850EVO, SATA III, SSD 850 Evo M.2 Multi-Coloured.

 

8) I have read that connecting 2.5" HDs is very difficult due to the lack of avaialblity of proprietary cables and caddies, is this true?  If I ordered one with a HD, I could presumably bin the HDD, put in an SSD, and then add 2x m.2 drives, without having to worry about cable problems?

 

9) is the M.2 drive SATA, PCIe or NVMe? (or all 3?)

 

Thanks!

 

Solved! See the solution
Reply
Options

268 Posts

09-04-2012

DE

912 Signins

8372 Page Views

  • Posts: 268
  • Registered: ‎09-04-2012
  • Location: DE
  • Views: 8372
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: P50 HD config question.

2016-08-22, 15:01 PM

wrote:

 

1) It seems to have 2x full size m.2 drives, and 2x 2.5" HD bays, is this correct?


 

The P50 has two M.2 2280 slots. If at least one of these slots is occupied, there is only one remaining 2.5" bay as the second 2.5" bay occupies the space of the M.2 slots.


eos wrote

 2) Are the 2x 2.5" bays both SATA 3 [...]? 


Yes.


wrote:

3) Can one have 2x m.2 drives, AND 2x 2.5" SSD drives (i.e. 4 drives) at he same time?


 

No. You can either have two 2.5" SSDs or one 2.5" SSD and up to two M.2 2280 SSDs.


wrote:

 

4) What is the max config given 2x m.2 1TB drives, and 2x 2TB SSD drives?  is it 6TB or 4TB? 


4 TB (either two 2 TB 2.5" SSDs or one 2 TB 2.5" SSD and two 1 TB M.2 2280 SSDs). However, there are a few 4 TB 2.5" SSDs. Thus, the maximum configuration is 8 TB.


eos wrote: 

5) does the P50 have optical, and an option to replace with drive bay (for a 5th drive?)


The P50 doesn't have an optical drive.


wrote:

 

6) are all the drives user accessable without breaking warranty?

Yes.


wrote:

 

7) are the m.2 slots full lenth, e.g. will thay take this: Samsung MZ-N1 N5E1 T0BW 1TB 850EVO, SATA III, SSD 850 Evo M.2 Multi-Coloured.


As mentioned above, the P50 accepts M.2 2280 SSDs. There are even longer M.2 SSDs (M.2 22110), but nearly all M.2 SSDs use the M.2 2280 form factor.


eos wrote:

8) I have read that connecting 2.5" HDs is very difficult due to the lack of avaialblity of proprietary cables and caddies, is this true?

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/4XB0L63274/460/7EF7D50A5A7047049A355BF42AAF3C5C


wrote:

If I ordered one with a HD, I could presumably bin the HDD, put in an SSD, and then add 2x m.2 drives, without having to worry about cable problems?


Yes. However, you need a tray for each M.2 SSD: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/4XB0K59917/460/7EF7D50A5A7047049A355BF42AAF3C5C


wrote:

 

9) is the M.2 drive SATA, PCIe or NVMe? (or all 3?) 


NVMe can be seen as a successor to AHCI. Some older PCIe-based SSDs as well as all SATA-based SSDs use AHCI while most newer PCIe-based SSDs use NVMe. The P50 supports both SATA and PCIe M.2 SSDs.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Reply
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete