Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

01-16-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

97 Page Views

• Views: 97
  • Message 1 of 12

P50 Multiple issues after purchase

2017-01-16, 4:51 AM

Hey guys, 

I do have sever issues with my P50 Laptop just three weeks into my purchase.

Issue #1

As soon as it arrived i noticed that there is separation betweent the palm rest and the buttom part of the laptop just less then half a inch to the right of the right click button. It`s like the parts didn`t click in their places properly.

Issue #2

After a couple of days i installed a screen/webcam recording software for some games and work that i do, while playing with my settings in this program...the webcam stoped working, i tried everything to get it going and nothing helped besides a full system reinstall after day 3! And now of course the laptop is much sluggisher...because we all know how those "full system restores" work.

Issue #3

After having this System restore done, everytime the screensaver kicks in or the monitor turns for sleep mode, upon resume the screen starts to flicker and mouse pointer is gone, nothing help but a restart.

Issue #4

And in the past couple of two days the speakers on the laptop started to sound like they were blown up, it`s like they would have worn out from use, even at 70% sound level they sound broken like your super old speaker in your moms 25 year old car which just can`t handle any more volume...

Issue #5

I am not sure if i can consider this as a issue but yesterday i went out with the laptop to a friends house and i just closed the lid so that it goes to sleep, afte a couple of hours of driving around i was trying the get something out of my bag and the laptop was full on running and super hot since it was wrapped in the bag...i don`t know why it was running? When i opened the lid the screen was black, i had to hard reset it from the botton...

So i don`know, is it just me? Can i have such bad luck with this machine? I love it other than that, i waited more then a month to get it shipped because some sort of part shortage, i didn`t even get a "thank your for your patience" email and now all this things kick in and i kind of feel like returning it so they can send me a new device...i just didn`t want to be "that customer" who has all these things just in his mind and demands  a new laptop for nothing, because i am pretty sure that if i do another factory restore and send it back...it will have at least 2 or 3 sympotms solved and they are gonna be like "there is eveything fine with your laptop" and all this process will last at least 3 weeks i guess...

What do you guys suggest i should do? 

Options

15 Posts

12-19-2016

United States of America

37 Signins

311 Page Views

• Views: 311
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: P50 Multiple issues after purchase

2017-01-16, 15:41 PM

I received a junker p50 w a broken trackpad after waiting a month too. Now its been being repaired by lenovo for a month now. Taking it to a local lenovo shop may prove better result. At least they may let you keep your computer while you wait months for the part to be delivered.

Options

377 Posts

10-20-2008

United States of America

741 Signins

5558 Page Views

• Views: 5558
  • Message 3 of 12

2017-01-16, 17:04 PM

Sounds like you have a combination of hardware and software issues.  There is no really good news I can share -- only a few suggestions for your consideration, going forward.

The hardware, you clearly cannot fix yourself and should probably take advantage of the opportunity to return the machine for replacement, if this is still an option.  Judging from several other posts, it appears that either there is either inadequate production quality control & testing going on at the factory or unacceptably high levels of infant mortality of some parts.  Huge inconvenience with delays likely but might be a necessary step for you to obtain a satisfactory machine.  You spent considerable money for ThinkPad quality -- you are entitled to receive same, without excuses or compromises.

The performance-related issues are likely due to some malware or really poorly crafted software -- video screen capture utilities, especially the "free" ones can cause major problems; I've experienced them first-hand  We all need to be very circumspect about these products. 

After a clean OS and core applications rebuild and reinstall, make sure you make full, properly configured system disk images before installing any potentially suspect applications.  These should be prepared with a good, fast tool like Macrium Reflect Free, for example, along with comprehensive inventories of your installed software, product keys, etc. Belarc Advisor Free Version is very helpful for this purpose.   Unfortunately, you must be prepared to completely roll-back and reinstall from last "known good" system disk image, at any indication of problems. 

As an alternate approach to minimize these kinds of problems, I use learned the "hard way" to use VirtualBox (also free, from Oracle) and create totally separate Virtual Machines to use any software which might be questionable and thereby protect my main environment.   If a VM blows-up, no harm done;  spares can be kept on disk or re-created easily and quickly.  Since I have a very well provisioned P70 with full 64 GB of memory, I can run multiple VMs simultaneously whenever necessary, without much performance penalty.

Hope this helps you think through possible next steps.

Options

200 Posts

06-14-2016

Sweden

389 Signins

2524 Page Views

• Views: 2524
  • Message 4 of 12

2017-01-16, 18:17 PM

Worrying facts about the state of Lenovo quality.  My recently delivered P50 had a squeaky keyboard, the left click button on the touch pad only worked sometimes and the LCD screen was subpar. Have asked for a refund now.

Options

377 Posts

10-20-2008

United States of America

741 Signins

5558 Page Views

• Views: 5558
  • Message 5 of 12

2017-01-16, 18:53 PM

One would sincerely hope that Lenovo would be paying attention to the tales of woe and disappointment with quality and reliability articulated frequently on the Forum and take these issues to heart.  For long-time loyal customers such as many of us are, this is disheartening.

While it is possible that very few shipped machines have significant flaws and that most users may be pleased with their purchases, the fact that there are any of these horror stories posted, is indeed worrying.  Moreover, while no manufacturing process can assure that 100% of products are free of defects, it it not unreasonable to expect that Lenovo would respond quickly and effectively to address customer problems with new machines when they do occur. 

I waited about 6 years to replace my beloved W700, primarily due to reports of inferior design, usability & quality issues and unacceptable functional compromises of its successor models from actual users.  The P-series seem to be a significant improvement -- if you are one of the fortunate ones to receive a well-made, reliable machine.

Options

125 Posts

01-30-2016

Denmark

237 Signins

2152 Page Views

• Views: 2152
  • Message 6 of 12

2017-01-16, 20:13 PM

Heh, I waited for 9 years, hanging onto my T60p. I was also put off by the non-optimal solutions, nit-picks and below-average screen quality. What I think I have learned the hard way with the P50 is: "Vote with your wallet", and I'd certainly do that next time.

As to 5)

This might happen on any laptop running Windows 10, if an application hangs up the shut-down process. That's because they try to make Windows 10 as fast and sleek as possible - out of the box, that is.

http://windowsten.info/tutorials/5767-how-to-fully-shut-down-windows-10

They mention "minutes" in this tutorial, but it can actually take more than that before it auto-powers on again, in my experience.

Options

360 Posts

02-19-2015

United States of America

483 Signins

4668 Page Views

• Views: 4668
  • Message 7 of 12

2017-01-17, 2:55 AM
The only noticeable defects on my P50 are
1) The bezel is raised slightly at the point right above the right half of the Escape key and the left half of the F1 key. I only saw it because of the different length of shadow in angled lighting.
2) My cover has discolored from the original black from hand oils/sweat. It is now a lighter shade of black.
-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, 7Pro.
Options

9 Posts

01-16-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2017-01-17, 3:40 AM
yeah have take these steps before on a different machine, but kind of now, i am at that point when i spend a certain amount of money on a machine that is new as it can be...and i kind of expect to have to have a bit less flaws...because if i do all of the above again...i feel like i am giving birth to this PC and that is not my job since i already payed for someone else to do it, properly.
Options

9 Posts

01-16-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2017-01-17, 3:41 AM

Did you ever get that refund?

Options

9 Posts

01-16-2017

United States of America

10 Signins

97 Page Views

• Message 10 of 12

2017-01-17, 3:44 AM

yeah it would be super nice if they would pay attention to these details, i mean i had SUPER BIG expecations from this laptop and now i am dissapointed, i had thinkpads before with which mopped the floor to say but this one now feels like that even if i would just look angry at it for having these flaws it would fall appart of fear...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms