Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

356 Posts

02-19-2015

United States of America

478 Signins

4633 Page Views

• Views: 4633
  • Message 1 of 5

P50's Rescue&Recovery or Macrium

2016-11-02, 3:13 AM

So, I am setting up my P50 (ordered system USB--not downloaded because of requisite connection time, made Windows System Image, WIndows backup DVDs, Macrium Full Backup, Macrium WinPE, Windows Backup) and have gotten to the point where I noticed that the included Thinkvantage's Rescue and Recovery also has full and incremental backups. 

Since I have already made a full Macrium Free Image, is there any reason to use ThinkVantage's Rescue & Recovery?  Any reason to NOT use ThinkVantage's R&R?  IF I've already made it by the time I read your responses, would you keep said R&R backup?

Thanks! :)

-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, 7Pro.
Options

5067 Posts

11-22-2011

United States of America

5783 Signins

89698 Page Views

• Views: 89698
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: P50's Rescue&Recovery or Macrium

2016-11-03, 1:45 AM

Your P50 seems current year model, I Assume shipped with  win10 and no CD/DVD drive.

Now you state, ordered system USB [windows installer], which would be windows 7 or lower.  RNR is 7 and lower. 

=

RNR was written years ago by IBM. It is slow and many functions until it fails. The best option you can use:

Create Rescue Media. I think it supports this to USB, BUT you must format the USB, set partition active BEFORE the create.[caveat].  This RNR standalone boot will allow you to copy YOUR data to other medium in case BIOS update fails. Windows update fails and you reboot to blinking cursor and panic.    **mark this reminder**.

==

Thus I am now windows 10, with windoes backup. It is fast, fun and stupid.  It only retains 1 backup on any medium. You can rename windowsbackupimage xx to another name, complicated.

=== 

Macrium: free

You have taken good steps.  Macrium, windows,repair disc, RNR, etc.

If you want to find your answer, destroy your hdd, and order up a recovery from your choice of vendors, during your calm day. Not during REAL dead system day.

You will be amazed as to how it really works/fails badly/works OK, but xx is wrong.

The kleenex, broken pumpkin; it is your choice to try  the recovery.

Disclaimer: I do disastery recovery for a living.  I recover my pc in 45 minutes to yesterday 5 pm. Yes I use CD's and www.nero.com. and windows backup.  1 day, macrium may enter my life. Acronis also. TEST TEST>

==

Yes I do destroy my HDD every 6 months, correct.  I am happy with my disaster recovery plan[at this time].  Next test might find SU updates fail my system, etc, -or- windows updates.  I wont panic. I know my system from 6 months back.

Options

5067 Posts

11-22-2011

United States of America

5783 Signins

89698 Page Views

• Views: 89698
  • Message 3 of 5

2016-11-03, 2:28 AM

If your machine came with win10, why go back to win7?  Tell us what your issues are. This is a forum.

Options

64 Posts

03-16-2016

United States of America

1526 Signins

5585 Page Views

• Views: 5585
  • Message 4 of 5

2016-11-03, 3:35 AM

wrote:

So, I am setting up my P50 (ordered system USB--not downloaded because of requisite connection time, made Windows System Image, WIndows backup DVDs, Macrium Full Backup, Macrium WinPE, Windows Backup) and have gotten to the point where I noticed that the included Thinkvantage's Rescue and Recovery also has full and incremental backups. 

Since I have already made a full Macrium Free Image, is there any reason to use ThinkVantage's Rescue & Recovery?  Any reason to NOT use ThinkVantage's R&R?  IF I've already made it by the time I read your responses, would you keep said R&R backup?

Thanks! :)

I use Macrium Reflect exclusively for my P50 disaster recovery.  I would recommend you get an external hard drive and make weekly (or as often as you feel warranted) images of your P50.  Make a Macrium reflect boot flash drive and you're all set.

I keep weekly Macrium Images for my "C & D" drives on my 2 TB "E" drive.  I also keep copies of the images on my Network and on an External Hard Drive.  

In addition, I have Windows 'System Restore' turned on for my 'C' Drive.  I like to make manual restore points before installing software or utilities I want to check out.  I use this all the time and it works well to keep my OS running smooth.

I haven't used the ThinkVantage Rescue & Recovery, so I can't comment on it.  I think since you are already using Macrium Reflect, you really don't need TR&R.  Interestingly, I first heard about Macrium Reflect on this forum.  I liked it so much, I went ahead and purchased the 'Home' version.

Mike

Options

356 Posts

02-19-2015

United States of America

478 Signins

4633 Page Views

• Views: 4633
  • Message 5 of 5

2016-11-03, 5:06 AM

First of all, thank you for your responses, sclesman and Gateman!

Sorry for the missing info. I had meant to update my signature, haven't taken the time to do so yet, and had forgotten that the info wasn't there.

Yes, my machine is brand-new (~12 hours of use).

I ordered it with Win10 downgraded to Win7, so I am running Win7 Pro. However, recovery media states that "The USB key reinstalls the version of Windows for which the computer is licensed."
Note that the Recovery Media version that gets shipped (or downloaded from DDRS--it is the same version/OS) is the OS for which the machine was originally licensed. Windows 7 was only available at the time of purchase through downgrade rights from Win10Pro, thus my recovery USB will be "Win10PROx64" (quoted from the USB invoice).

For various reasons I do not like Win10 (despite many hours of using it) (issues such as forced updates and lack of privacy, XP mode being available in 7Pro, not having a touch screen and not liking the touchscreen-optimized layout, and the like).

I do not want Win10, and if I ever need it, I will run it off a second partition.

The P50 has no DVD drive, but my dad picked up a Memorex external DVD burner for himself that we can use if he isn't.

The first thing I did was go to the control panel (at right) and make the system repair disc and system image on DVDs.

[As a side note, as promised by @practical, I now get the message that "You have already created your System Image Recovery Media" (or whatever they call it).]

Than I plugged in an external 1TB HDD, went to Macrium Reflect Free v6 and imaged the Rescue Partition (Drive Q), imaged the entire NVMe drive, and finally (still in Macrium) imaged "all partitions necessary to restore Windows."  I also made Macrium's Win PE disc (Win PE v5 for NVMe support preloaded).

After that, I went to Windows backup and ran it onto that HDD.

So far, so good.  Everything was neat and tidy, other that the fact that I wanted to make sure that the original Macrium Image had no problems so I ran all of them at "No Compression", and "Intelligent Data" (not copying empty space).  This made the images average about 40GB each.

Finally, I ran Thinkvantage's Rescue and Recovery program and made a backup to the same external drive.  I also made the Thinkvantage Rescue and Recovery Startup Disc. 

All of these images (3xMacrium, 1xWindows, 1xThinkvantageR&R) used a sizable portion of my external 1TB HDD.

I have not made a Macrium USB boot thumb drive. 

Question: >>If you people don't think it is necessary, I would like to delete that R&R backup because of the space that it takes and the extra files that it adds to the main level of my external HDD.  I'll keep R&R's boot disc in any event, though I don't know if I could use it with any backup program other than R&R (I.E. Macrium).  I have not added Macrium to the boot menu.  What are your thoughts on (any part of) this? 

Thank you all very much!

(I don't use Acronis because I am not aware of a free version.)

-----------IBM T40: XP PRO SP3, 14.1" 4:3 display, 512MB DDR RAM, 40GB HDD, ThinkLight, DVD.
Lenovo Ideacentre H215: AMD Athlon II X2 215, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 64-bit Win7, AMD 760G.
P50 i7, M2000M, 1x16GB RAM, 1080p, 512GB SSD, 500GB HDD, Backlight, 7Pro.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms