Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

06-08-2021

Belgium

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 2

P51 display issues when moving the hinges

2021-06-08, 17:32 PM

Hi !

I own a Lenovo Thinkpad P51 since 2018 that is no more under warranty (since June 2020). I am quite satisfied with the device (using it mostly on desktop at home) but since this morning I have an issue with the internal display (AUO/4K).

Indeed, when I adjust the display using the hinges, the display alternately works perfectly, blinks or turn off completely. Thinking about a possible bad contact, I dismantled the computer as per the Hardware Maintenance Manual, checked for a possible faulty EDP cable (the visual inspection provided nothing), cleaned everything, reassembled the whole thing and checked for any difference. No progress, the display still does not work.

Afterwards, I checked on the display side by removing the bezel and unscrewing the panel from the hinges. The visual inspection on the other side of the EDP cable provided nothing either. I re-plugged the panel to the computer and turned on the computer. I could not find any issue anymore (even shaking slightly the panel). But screwing it back on the hinges, the same issues occur again.

The most awkward is that when the panel moves freely, there seems to be no issue (disproving an issue to the cable). But once it is back on the hinge system, it screws up again.

Any idea of the possible origin ?

Best regards,

V.

Options

471 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

728 Signins

5259 Page Views

• Views: 5259
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:P51 display issues when moving the hinges

2021-06-09, 7:47 AM

Hi V!

I am typing this on a 4k P51 that came to me with similar symptoms.

When I pushed the screen back and forth, the screen with blink like you described in certain angles.

Usually I poke the screen when changing seating position which would always cause the effect mentioned.

I started with the bezel removal and noticed one of the screws holding the panel in place was not fully tightened, so when I pushed on the screen, I presume the screen eDP connector would be ever so slightly misaligned with the cable causing the disturbance. I bet you have a similar cause of your symptoms. I would make sure the screen eDP cable is securely fastened and that no flex at all, even minuscule, is applying uneven pressure on the cable when you push the screen in any corner back and forth..

I tightened everything and I no longer suffer these effects.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms