07-09-2018

US

28 Signins

108 Page Views

• Views: 108
  • Message 1 of 3

P51 intel gigE flooding network when asleep - ICMPv6 Multicast Listener Report

2020-02-10, 16:27 PM

I just tracked down a network issue, when put to sleep my Thinkpad P51 gigabit ethernet floods the network with ICMPv6 Multicast Listener Reports -- "HBH ICMP6, multicast listener reportmax"

Searching for this seems to indicate it is a problem that cropped up in 2014 with the Intel I217-LM gigE chip.   The Thinkpad p51 has an Intel i219-LM.    Looks like driver updates in 2014 seem to clear up the problem.  

Here's an old thread from this forum ICMPv6 Multicast Listener Report Flooding the local network.

I'm not sure when this started.  Possibly there has been some regression in the drivers or maybe the BIOS.

This system is running Windows 10 and is up-to-date with Windows update supplied patches and drivers.

Having the p51 on a network that doesn't have all of the IPv6 infrastructure may be part of the problem.

In 2014 this problem seemed to show up with various Dell systems and some ThinkCentres.  Fixes seemed to be BIOS updates, disabling power management, and/or disabling IPv6.

Anyone seen this problem recently?

Options

1 Posts

08-27-2020

CA

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:P51 intel gigE flooding network when asleep - ICMPv6 Multicast Listener Report

2020-08-27, 21:47 PM

Just started seeing this issue (or at least becoming aware of it). Ran all pending system and firmware / bios updates. No improvement. Will look at changing settings as suggested here and there.

Did you (re)solve this?

Options

18 Posts

07-09-2018

US

28 Signins

108 Page Views

• Views: 108
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:P51 intel gigE flooding network when asleep - ICMPv6 Multicast Listener Report

2020-08-27, 22:03 PM

I checked my notes from back then, I think just updating everything bios, intel management controller firmware, windows drivers, etc. fixed it.  I also made some changes to my network around the same time.  I was looking into network problems when I noticed that things were getting somewhat saturated overnight and found the problem with the p51. 

Things I found indicated the problem only occurred on networks without IPv6.  I didn't enable IPv6 on my network. 

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete