Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

03-08-2021

Germany

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 11 of 18

Re:P51 overheat and shutdown

2021-03-29, 19:47 PM

I originally benchmarked / software tested with Colmap and later Meshroom, both require datasets to start calculating / benchmarking , its just jpg to 3d point cloud / mesh software https://colmap.github.io/datasets.html e.g. Gerrad Hall -> Automatic Reconstrucion with Colmap, same with Meshroom

( that was also my intention of using this laptop for )

I could only get it to not shutdown and complete by removing AC adapter and putting it upside down in a A shape to prevent overheating this seems not normal :P , that was before repasting, now its not really better

Options

448 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

693 Signins

5079 Page Views

• Views: 5079
  • Message 12 of 18

2021-03-30, 5:55 AM

Based on your furmark temperatures, I would say there is something that needs to be fixed regarding GPU cooling. Reaching 100 degs in furmark does not match my experience with 3x P51 M2200 that I have in my possession. I think you need to take it apart one more time and have a look.

Answer
Options

10 Posts

03-08-2021

Germany

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 13 of 18

2021-04-14, 17:52 PM

Thanks for your help, I got it to a lenovo repair shop and they first could not figure out the problem without removing the heatpipe.

On second try they removed the heatpipe just like I did before and found out that some heat conductive pads were missing.

150$ later the CPU gets worse temperatures then before but the GPU got better.

Maybe Ill take it apart one more time to repaste with artic mx again.

Thats the problem when buying used laptops, always full benchmark on arrival :p

On a site note : when I followed the repair manual, its easily possible to scratch the screen (lenovo store did the same mistake). If the keyboard cover is removed and you turn it on the back side to remove the scews of the display hinge. The exposed cage touches the screen which is a design flaw of the manual I guess, but I think I can polish it out.

Next time I will put a towel between for safety.

cheers

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1657 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

110 Signins

8320 Page Views

• Views: 8320
  • Message 14 of 18

2021-04-28, 18:40 PM

Thanks for the update.
We appreciate for sharing it here

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

10 Posts

03-08-2021

Germany

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 15 of 18

2021-05-03, 19:50 PM

This is how it looks now, the final step was to remove the grey pad on the CPU since it was spiking quite fast, also noticed the height gap between CPU pad and second long pad next to it ( third picture ) this would make the heatsink tilt no? , second reason to use paste.

Now much more stable temp rise and cooler with thermal paste.

Really not a good choice with this design, so much pads, i hate them now.

The GPU still throttles at 90degres to ~800mhz than stays. reached 95 max (Furmark), im fine with that after all :P.

CPU is at ~60 , 75max with full load and no throttle.

Also did a four hour meshroom computation, no shutdown.

https://imgur.com/HPdBVym

https://imgur.com/a/J6kfZD2

Options

448 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

693 Signins

5079 Page Views

• Views: 5079
  • Message 16 of 18

2021-05-04, 11:03 AM

Wow, sorry for not noticing, there should not be any "pads" on the system board, no wonder there is no contact between heatsink and GPU. Please remove all of them.

Options

10 Posts

03-08-2021

Germany

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 17 of 18

2021-05-04, 13:16 PM
is thery any documentation of this? did not see it in the service manual, i hope the service partner knows what he was doing :p
Options

9796 Posts

08-17-2015

Slovakia

26710 Signins

578170 Page Views

• Views: 578170
  • Message 18 of 18

2021-05-07, 13:09 PM

@ freezet wrote:

is thery any documentation of this? did not see it in the service manual, i hope the service partner knows what he was doing :p

Hi freezet,

our service partners have detailed documentation on how to service specific models, you do not need to be worried. The hardware maintenance manual that is publicly available doesn't contain many information that the service partners need to be able to fully service a machine.

@all Its definitely not normal for a machine to reach such temperatures and to abruptly shut down. If you are experiencing the same symptom on your device, it is very likely that there is a hardware issue with your machine, which would need to get examined and further diagnosed by our technicians at the service. If this is the case, I would strongly recommend to reach out to our service to have this behavior further investigated.

Best regards,

Juraj
German, Czech & Slovak Community Lead

EN : Welcome to the Community! Have you already participated in the forum survey? Please, let us know what you like about our forum and what we can improve. We listen to your feedback!

DE : Willkommen in der Community! Hatten Sie bereits an der Foren Umfrage teilgenommen? Wir benötigen die folgenden Informationen. Wir hören zu und lesen Ihre Kommentare gerne!

CZ/SK : Vítejte v Komunitě! Už jste se zúčastnili našeho průzkumu fóra? Potřebujeme následující informace. S radostí posloucháme a čteme vaše komentáře!
_
Communities: English Deutsch Español Portugues Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Moto English
_

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms