US

13 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 1 of 117

P51s external monitor random shut off

2017-08-12, 0:09 AM

Hi,

The problem is an external HDMI monitor shutting off randomly when connected to the P51s. We have checked other monitors and cables and the same happens. Disabled all power savings and performed system update for both lenovo drivers and windows updates. Laptop is always plugged in. We even checked thunderbolt firmware according to a similar issue in the P50.

Options

1 Posts

08-25-2017

CA

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 2 of 117

Re: P51s external monitor random shut off

2017-08-25, 18:23 PM

I have this exact same problem

Options

10 Posts

09-12-2017

US

25 Signins

219 Page Views

• Views: 219
  • Message 3 of 117

2017-09-12, 2:59 AM

I thought I was the only P51s user with this problem!  It occurs when the external monitor (via direct HDMI connection, no dock) is used as the primary screen (ie, the laptop screen is off).  It is not regular; the monitor will flicker or else turn off, forcing me to manually power cycle it.

I was about to purchase a new monitor, believing the problem was that hardware (it is a Samsung LS22E310H).  I've done every possible trouble-shoot solution in terms of toggling power savings, graphics card between Intel/NVidia, changing refresh rate, installing Samsung's own recommended monitor driver to replace the generic PNP one, reinstall the Intel 620 graphics driver from the Lenovo website, etc.  Nothing works.

Looking for a solution,  Lenovo.

Options

10 Posts

09-12-2017

US

25 Signins

219 Page Views

• Views: 219
  • Message 4 of 117

2017-09-12, 4:57 AM

I have this problem as well.

Options

1 Posts

10-23-2017

US

1 Signins

4 Page Views

• Views: 4
  • Message 5 of 117

2017-10-23, 13:27 PM

I have the same issue. The monitors will seem fine for a few days then will flicker and eventually turn off. If I undock my machine and redock the monitors will work again.

Options

1 Posts

10-27-2017

US

1 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 6 of 117

2017-10-27, 16:52 PM

Me and everyone in my office (8 total) recently moved to the Lenovo ThinkPad P51s. After about 6 months, every single one of our laptops has this issue. In particular, we are all using a Lenovo docking station (Model No. DBB9003L1) and two external monitors as well as the laptop monitor (I believe one person has a third external monitor used instead of his laptop monitor). The monitors are of varying brands (mostly Dell, some Samsung/ViewSonic as well). They are connected to the docking station via D-Port.

Everyone's laptops did not start having the problem all at once. Some started shortly after receiving, some a few months later, and now we all have the issue. Mine was the last hold-out, but now even it has succumbed to this issue. We have attempted replacing the docking stations, the monitors, the cables, but the issue seems to lie with the laptops themselves.

Some of the symptoms will be intermittent flickering of the monitors, then all the monitors (even the laptop monitor) will shut off. With two or more of the laptops, the monitors will blink three times over the course of about five minutes; on the third blink, they stay off (all external monitors and the laptop monitor). This blinking seems to happen more frequently if we do not reboot our laptops regularly, but the issue seems to continue to degrade and require more frequent rebooting of the laptops.

This requires disconnecting from the docking station, which restores the laptop monitor. We then must reboot the laptop if we want to use the external monitors again. As we are a small IT department, we have come to the conclusion that it may have something to do with the Thunderbolt port on the laptop that connects to the docking station. I am updating to the latest drivers and will update this ticket if it resolves the issue.

Options

12 Posts

08-20-2017

US

32 Signins

481 Page Views

• Views: 481
  • Message 7 of 117

2017-11-02, 23:15 PM

I have had exactly the same problem with my p51s since I first received it in May. I have done all of the updates, including BIOS, drivers, Windows 10, etc., but the problem continues to persist. I have tested with several different HDMI cables and different HDMI monitors, both home and work, and the exact same problem continues to persist.

When I received my p51s, I was a little puzzled why they included HDMI to VGA and USB-C to VGA adapter cables. Using either of these cables and a VGA port on the same monitors stops the flicker. I suspect Lenovo knew about this problem when they shipped the laptops and so they included the VGA adapters as a workaround. Unfortunately using VGA does not provide the same clarity or resolution above FHD as HDMI.

I hope someone at Lenovo who is aware of this problem comes forwared and shares a little more info on this. Hopefully they will also have a fix soon.

Options

1 Posts

11-15-2017

RU

5 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 8 of 117

2017-11-15, 10:14 AM

Same on Linux (Kubuntu 17.10)

Periodically display goes to something like sleep mode for 1-2 seconds and return back by itself

Options

12 Posts

08-20-2017

US

32 Signins

481 Page Views

• Views: 481
  • Message 9 of 117

2017-12-03, 0:52 AM

Update on 12/2/2017:

After several Windows 10 updates (currently running latest Windows 10 Pro Version 1709) the external screen attached to HDMI goes blank less frequently. Now I experience the blank screen issue about 2 or 3 times per hour -- previously it occured about every 5 minutes. While this is much better, it is still annoying, and particularly embarrasing when I am presenting in a conference room full of managers and other influential people.

It does not look good for Lenovo, when an IT manager comments that HP laptops don't have such problems. I wish Lenovo would do a better job at addressing this annoying issue! Otherwise my Thinkpad is a joy to use.

Options

1 Posts

12-04-2017

IS

3 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 10 of 117

2017-12-04, 12:54 PM

Hey,

I've had this issue for a while now. I've changed out the following parts / peripherals variables while trying to troubleshoot this:

• Six monitors (2x 1440p w. DP/HDMI, 4x 1080p w. DVI/DP/VGA, 1x 720p monitor w. VGA)
  • All relevant cables
  • Three docks
  • Three power supplies, varying in amperage
  • Complete motherboard swap

I've run the computer in a number of different setups: 1 ext. display with the computer lid open, 2 ext. displays with the lid open and 1 ext. display with the lid closed. This behavior has been observed in all settings.

The issue persists. Had some peace after swapping out the motherboard, with the displays shutting off once or twice every 8 hours, but it quickly escalated to the frequency you and other have observed in this thread. 

The issue starts with the monitors going blank for 3 - 5 seconds a few times every ~5 minutes, until they finally power off completely and the computer needs to be removed from the dock and reinserted.

I've also observed the computer randomly disabling monitors until I manually re-enable them via Windows Display Settings.

I hope this helps if there are any ongoing internal efforts to analyze and fix this issue.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete