08-20-2017

United States of America

32 Signins

481 Page Views

• Views: 481
  • Message 31 of 119

Re: P51s external monitor random shut off

2018-05-11, 14:50 PM

It's been almost a year since I first bought my P51s and after numerous BIOS, driver, and Windows 10 Pro updates, the same problem still persists. I've even gotten a new set of Dell UltraSharp monitors, but no difference. Every few minutes, the screen will go blank for a second on the HDMI port.

The problem is strictly tied to the HDMI port with a straight HDMI cable. The video output through the USB-C port (I have both USB-C to DP and USB-C to VGA) works without issue as well as the HDMI to VGA adapter. The problem with VGA is that it is resolution limited and no recent model monitors support the legacy port.

I also have issues with the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock, which is still not supported on the P51s, despite that it was listed as compatible on the data sheet since it was released. So I haven't been able to test video over the dock.

I suspect that Lenovo doesn't reply or repair this issue because they simply don't really have a fix for it. Yes, they can replace the motherboard, but I suspect that a good percentage, if not all, exhibit the same problem. Yes, you can go ahead and re-image the drive to the original factory image, and reinstall all of the updates and all of the software you use, but if it is a hardware issue, the same problem will still persist.

Other than the HDMI issue and the Thunderbolt 3 Dock not working, I absolutely love using the P51s.

Options

23 Posts

04-02-2018

United States of America

24 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 32 of 119

2018-05-11, 16:36 PM

I completely agree with you the USB C adapters work.

It's a failure of the hardware. And a reload won't fix it, I've tried it. BIOS updates haven't fixed it yet, maybe it could in the future.

But it really needs to be solved at the depot with a new motherboard with a connector or hardware that works. (My opinion)

But the question is will they redesign and fix the flaw for us owners or just suggest people not use it and provide a USB C adapter.

I too love my P51s, but it seems like such a sad oversight on the device. :(

wrote:

It's been almost a year since I first bought my P51s and after numerous BIOS, driver, and Windows 10 Pro updates, the same problem still persists. I've even gotten a new set of Dell UltraSharp monitors, but no difference. Every few minutes, the screen will go blank for a second on the HDMI port.

The problem is strictly tied to the HDMI port with a straight HDMI cable. The video output through the USB-C port (I have both USB-C to DP and USB-C to VGA) works without issue as well as the HDMI to VGA adapter. The problem with VGA is that it is resolution limited and no recent model monitors support the legacy port.

I also have issues with the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Dock, which is still not supported on the P51s, despite that it was listed as compatible on the data sheet since it was released. So I haven't been able to test video over the dock.

I suspect that Lenovo doesn't reply or repair this issue because they simply don't really have a fix for it. Yes, they can replace the motherboard, but I suspect that a good percentage, if not all, exhibit the same problem. Yes, you can go ahead and re-image the drive to the original factory image, and reinstall all of the updates and all of the software you use, but if it is a hardware issue, the same problem will still persist.

Other than the HDMI issue and the Thunderbolt 3 Dock not working, I absolutely love using the P51s.

Options

12 Posts

08-20-2017

United States of America

32 Signins

481 Page Views

• Message 33 of 119

2018-05-11, 20:12 PM

Well, when I ordered it back in May 2017, I was surprised that they automatically included an HDMI to VGA and a USB-C to VGA adapters for free. I suspect that it was a quick fix in case I discovered the flaw with the HDMI port. Which "technically" works, but definitely not the desired solution. Two problems with VGA is that it is no longer available on newer monitors and it does not support the higher resolutions and refresh rates possible with a digital interface such as HDMI or DisplayPort.

I would have really liked some official technical response to this issue from someone competent at Lenovo other than you need to reimage your hard drive first before we can help you further. I realize that the vast majority of user issues are software related, but in this particular case, it really looks like a hardware fault. Given that there are so many customers with this exact same problem, it appears that this is not an isolated software issue.

Options

23 Posts

04-02-2018

United States of America

24 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 34 of 119

2018-05-11, 20:24 PM
Interesting. And I agree about the reload bit. I assure you it doesn't help.
Options

43 Posts

11-16-2016

United States of America

73 Signins

495 Page Views

• Views: 495
  • Message 35 of 119

2018-05-12, 18:24 PM
Disclaimer, I have a P51 now and before I had a P50. However I was having similar problems with the P50.

What helped me was to disable the sound driver for the HDMI port.

Has this been tried?
Options

4 Posts

10-03-2015

United States of America

10 Signins

48 Page Views

• Views: 48
  • Message 36 of 119

2018-05-12, 21:32 PM
I don't see in the Device Manager where one could disable the HDMI sound. I don't see it in Audio Inputs and Outputs or in Sound, Video and Game Controllers. Where did you find it?
Options

43 Posts

11-16-2016

United States of America

73 Signins

495 Page Views

• Message 37 of 119

2018-05-13, 2:03 AM

Hello @WilbertWaterbur, please see below a screenshot as an example on my Device Manager. The ones inside the rectangle are all audio devices associated to a graphics card. I have all of them disabled.

Options

12 Posts

08-20-2017

United States of America

32 Signins

481 Page Views

• Message 38 of 119

2018-05-22, 18:42 PM

The most recent set of Lenovo / Windows 10 updates really did it!

Yesterday I was doing a business presentation and shortly after hooking up the big screen to the HDMI port, the screen started turning off and on like a disco light. It was very embarrasing to say the least! I rebooted the PC, unplugged the HDMI, plugged it in again, switched through all of the different external display settings, but nothing made any difference. The only solution was to email the presentation to my manager and do the presentation on his HP notebook.

This is the worst it has ever been! I struggle to comprehend that Lenovo designed the Thinkpad series specifically for business use and yet they could mess up such an important feature so badly! Attaching a notebook to a large screen for doing presentations is a very basic must have feature in today's business environment.

For everyone that is experiencing this issue -- please reply to this post even if it is just a "Me too." It would be good for Lenovo to get an idea of how prevelent this issue is. Thank you!

Options

43 Posts

11-16-2016

United States of America

73 Signins

495 Page Views

• Message 39 of 119

2018-05-22, 21:32 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. I used to have issues with my previous p50. Did you try disabling the audio components of the HDMi adapter, as specified above?

Options

4 Posts

02-10-2018

Canada

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 40 of 119

2018-05-23, 0:06 AM

Today Windows 10 updated the Intel 620 graphics driver without me knowing it and this blinking issue just became so much worse. Previously it blinks once very half an hour or so, which is kind of manageable. Now it blinks almost every few seconds - which makes the external monitor totally unusable. I am using an HDMI-DVI cable to connect  my P51s to an external monitor.

Why does Lenovo not only avoid solving the problem, but makes the problem ten times worse with "updated driver"????? So frustrating!!!! 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms