Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

70 Posts

01-15-2018

United States of America

258 Signins

1301 Page Views

• Views: 1301
  • Message 21 of 39

Re: P52 Temperatures

2018-10-08, 11:33 AM

thank you

Options

70 Posts

01-15-2018

United States of America

258 Signins

1301 Page Views

• Message 22 of 39

2018-10-20, 3:45 AM

Hi Egos, 

did they ever fixed your machine? what are the results? 

Thanks a lot,

alex

Options

8 Posts

09-20-2018

France

14 Signins

117 Page Views

• Views: 117
  • Message 23 of 39

2018-10-31, 12:46 PM

hi alex

i receive the new computer after a lot of problem with Lenovo/ibm /digitalriver
I notice a difference with the old one , during stress test the temp stay below 90°C
but the temperature stay high with a lot of power limit throttling and some time in idle mode

the max core frequency has already a important variation other time in idle mode

With a core voltage ofsett : -0.1V  in XTU  i decrease the max temperature

I hope this will help

Options

25 Posts

11-06-2017

Romania

62 Signins

339 Page Views

• Views: 339
  • Message 24 of 39

2018-12-27, 7:22 AM

Hello,

I have just received my P52, with i7-8850H and P3200 graphics. I did a 5 min stress test with Intel XTU and I'm pasting the graph below.

(in red: thermal throttling)

(in violet: power limit throttling)

I'd say that it seems to be consistent with egos' last report. The temperature usually stays below 90°C. With a lot of thermal throtling at the beginning. And then with thermal throtling periodically.

Is this normal? Or should I call support in order to send someone to do a repaste? My graph definitly looks worse than the one from Lenard's review. Lenard also reports power limit throttling, although there is no associated graph.

I notice another difference between my mesurements and Lenard's: he reports a TDP of op to 78W when entering in turbo mode. Which decreases afterwards of course to around 44W or so. However in my case, the max TDP is only about 65W.

Thanks a lot for your opinions.

Best regards,

Cristian.

Options

8 Posts

09-20-2018

France

14 Signins

117 Page Views

• Message 25 of 39

2019-01-22, 16:49 PM

Hi @christian

I had like the same kind of problem
so bad that I'm at my second laptop
and I still have the same temperature problem
This is an image in IDLE MODE
One with and without the processor  flanged has 2.9 Ghz in the attery parameters.........:smileymad:

i mean set the processor max to 99% in windows config this force the frequency to stay under 2.9Ghz

This is the only solution I have found to prevent the proc from varying as much and thus causing temperature and fan spikes
I think no need to show a stress test !

1) The thermal system works poorly
2) variations of proc inexplicable

I recontact lenovo about it and I hope we will quickly explain how such expensive hardware can be so non-functional

Options

25 Posts

11-06-2017

Romania

62 Signins

339 Page Views

• Views: 339
  • Message 26 of 39

2019-01-22, 17:26 PM

Hi egos,

I don't understand:

One with and without the processor  flanged has 2.9 Ghz in the attery parameters.......

1) You mean the computer is idle and the first photo is on AC and the second on battery? Looking at the first photo all looks normal except the thermal throttling. Especially if the PC is on idle. And from your message I deduce that those yellow spikes are accompanied with loud fan "concerts"?

2) Are you sure that the PC is really idle? I mean, sometimes a crappy app eats 100% percent of it's thread, but when you look in Process Explorer you see only a 7%-8% CPU usage. I.e. 100 / 12 virtual cores. E.g. today, while on battery, the battery estimate (in the Vantage toolbar) dropped to 1h50 remaining; I expected about 5h30 remaining. It was the System process eating CPU, probably due to some updates, CompatTelRunner or other similiar processes. I see that Win 10 has Power usage columns in the Task Manager; they help.

3) It's not yet clear to me if a) just the fact that the CPU is on temp throttle => it is less performant or b) because thermal throttle => decrease in frequency => less performance. In other words, temp throttle just decreases the frequency? Or this causes also an additional slowdown, independent of the frequency. Because if it's only b), I'd say that we the parameter that really needs to be monitored is the CPU frequency.

4) I'm a developer. So I'm really interested in the turbo mode, and high processing power in peaks, e.g. during compile sessions. Below a graph I took during my normal workflow:

Again my question at point 3: was thermal throttling bad? Because looking at the CPU freq, it didn't seem to drop much.

5) I think that repaste can help with a few percentage points, cf. here. I'd like to call the Lenovo technician and provide him a good paste that I buy separately. I hope this works. From what I heard, with high end gaming CPU it was a known fact that the factory thermal paste was not that good, and replacing it with a new one was a default action when assembling a gaming PC.

6)

explain how such expensive hardware can be so non-functional

I agree. I wanted to buy a new PC last year (P51) but saw what a disaster was from a thermal management point of view. I hoped P52 solves this issue. I think it's an improvement, but for such an expensive piece of equipment people expect more. I don't get into detail, but when I upgraded from T500 -> T530 I had less points that made me unhappy. There were, but less. Now, from T530 -> P52: I cannot say I'm disappointed; but not completely happy either.

Best regards,

Cristian.

Options

8 Posts

09-20-2018

France

14 Signins

117 Page Views

• Message 27 of 39

2019-01-22, 20:57 PM

hello

yes the computer was in idle mode on AC
i have this problem since long time and i have a lot of the same picture

sorry for the flanged its due to google trad

I reduce the max CPU processor at 99% lenovo setting   for limit the CPU frequency ist the same to turn off turbo boost normaly but not in my case

Anyway as you the problem came from the coolling system

my idea  is that all P52 arent assembly in the same way (im from france)

Options

3 Posts

02-13-2019

Russian Federation

14 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 28 of 39

2019-02-13, 23:08 PM

Just got a new P52 - i7 8750H nvidia p1000 . Have a few questions regarding cpu temperature, hope some one more experienced can clarify. I ran xtu and noticed that the cpu temperature is quite high under load. While performing cinebench the temperature was around 90- 97 °C and thermal throttling was a yes. The multicore score was 942 single core 158 and open GL 112 fps. During the xtu stress test the temperature was roughly the same and thermal throttling. So I undervolted the cpu, got stable results at -0.160 (I ran a few stress tests, prime 95 for a couple hours, exported a few heavy projects in premiere pro). After undervolting, cinebench scores improved significantly around 1200 multicore, 171 single core, 126 opengl. But the temperatures remained the same , above 90°C. During the xtu stress test the throttling was gone and cpu temperature was from 75 to 80°C. On idle the temperature stays between 50 - 60°C. After that i ran the audio software with two 1080p monitors (I work with video) a midi controller and loaded a relatively heavy session. The temperature hovered from 78 to 98°C the whole time I had the monitors connected. The cpu clocked at around 3.8 GHz. I also got different cpu utilization readings in xtu and task manager 44% in xtu and 78% in task manager. Ive read tha most 8th gen cpus are prone to high temperatures but im worried about the cpu running so hot. How dangerous is this? I'd really appreciate it if someone would help me make sense of these readings  

Options

70 Posts

01-15-2018

United States of America

258 Signins

1301 Page Views

• Message 29 of 39

2019-05-10, 13:54 PM

I decided to install Linux Mint on this machine, and I've found that the thermal management is better than windows. I was experiencing crashes, and random issues.

Essentially, even under heavy load it will turbo for a little bit but then go back to lower frequencies and drop the temperature to more manageble levels.  So it's ok I guess.  Given that it is a 6 core machine, it might be expected to run hotter than a 4 core cpu.  

Answer
Options

70 Posts

01-15-2018

United States of America

258 Signins

1301 Page Views

• Message 30 of 39

2019-09-21, 1:23 AM

Finally a year after the machine failed.  They replaced board and fans, the technician pointed out that the paste was not applied properly and there were sections in the CPU that were not touching any paste.  he replaced everything and added extra paste, it finally works!!  at 100% cpu temperature is 80, which is ok.  The overall temperature dropped by 20C.

Awesome, finally!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms