08-28-2020

NL

1 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 3

P52 continuous HDD activity

2020-08-28, 12:56 PM

For some while i noticed the harddrive LED is flashing continuously.  Even if there is no user activity for a while.

It is not intermittent but an continuous flashing.

With the windows 10 resource monitor  (tab Disk) i could narrow down the activity to the system process.

By sorting the read or write bytes tab i could see there is a constant data traffic (about 2MB/sec)  in the folder WindowsSystem32LogfilesWMI

most of the time a file starting with UdeTrc.etl. or lhv.Trc.etl.   is written or read.

By looking into the file i could see some information that it is related to a network device.

At the end i could stop the continuous HDD activity by removing the "Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-LM" device in the device manager.

After it was automatically restored by windows the HDD activity was normal.

But after a while it came back.

An internet search did not yield to any solution.  I want to stop this behavior because it means unnecessary wear of my SSD.

None of my other Windows 10 machines  i work with do have this strange behavior.

It must be a driver issue although i have tried to install different versions.

It cannot be hardware because recently my mainbord was replaced by Lenovo because of a LAN failure.  And the problem persists.

And the windows installation was fresh.

Anyone having the same experience or suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

Options

2570 Posts

12-13-2016

US

4990 Signins

51636 Page Views

• Views: 51636
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:P52 continuous HDD activity

2020-08-28, 13:35 PM

Don B

Welcome to the Community

Everything I can find on this issue seems to point to a third-party program or adware or malware that's misbehaving. First thing to do is scan for malware, then set about seeing if you have any startup programs that shouldn't be there or are not really needed. 

Read through this thread for a registry hack that'll stop the continuous logging until you can track down the culprit and use Event Viewer to help narrow down the cause.

Doc

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo. I love beer.

Using Browser Search To Find Answers in the Lenovo and Moto Communities
Check out our new Recent Service Tips Area ..your issue may already be solved!
Options

2 Posts

08-28-2020

NL

1 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:P52 continuous HDD activity

2020-08-28, 13:46 PM

Hello Doc,

Thanks for the lead. i will dig into it.For sure it is not a third party program or malware. The issue occurred already when i started my repaired P52 for the first time.

It had a factory reset Windows 10 install and was not connected to the internet at all.

update:  the Lead is not exact the same problem.  And there no proper solution is presented.

So problem remains.

Greetz

Don

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete