Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

10-11-2018

Austria

18 Signins

118 Page Views

• Views: 118
  • Message 1 of 3

P52 graphics driver crashes

2018-10-12, 13:01 PM

I recently got a P52 with 16GB Ram, 500GB SSD, 4k screen and NVidia Quattro P1000.

When I run it on battery, the graphics driver crashes after some time (sometimes a few seconds, sometimes a few hours). This means, the screen freezes, after a few seconds it goes black and stays that way. At the same time, the front camera and the Windows Hello scanners come to life (since the dwm crashes and restarts). The Windows Eventlog clearly states that the NVidia driver crashed, took the Windows DWM, Hyper-V and anyone else who relies on graphics with it.

When on external power, it only happened once.

I run the notebook on "dedicated graphics" not the "hybrid graphics" mode, so only the NVidia chip is visible to the OS.

I installed all Windows updates, the problem appears under Windows 10 64-bit, Version 1803 and 1809. I haven't tested with other versions. Also all the drivers suggested in Lenovo Vantage are installed.

Thank you for your help,

Bernhard

Options

4 Posts

10-09-2018

Canada

7 Signins

33 Page Views

• Views: 33
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: P52 graphics driver crashes

2018-10-29, 18:40 PM

I have the same specs on my P52 as well, and I get crashes about once per week, but it's not always the graphics driver.  Sometimes it's a memory error, and sometimes it's something else, but it's usually connected to hardware or a driver. 

There is a theory in the community that the P52 power management system or the included power supply are poorly configured, or have a design flaw.  This may require a firmware update by Lenovo, or it may never be fixed.  I would return your laptop immediately for a refund.  I would if I could.  This is disgraceful on such a high-end product.

The basic theory is that when different components turn on or off, they cause small voltage drops on the motherboard, which causes errors in different components.  I had my P52 for almost 2 months now, and I want Lenovo to offer some solutions, or I will smear their brand and refuse to recommend, or buy any other products for any of my clients or my own company.

Edit: Because voltage drops don't necessarily damage any hardware, nothing shows up during full hardware diagnostics scans.  But this is just a theory, and all I know is that there is a far-too-common problem with BSOD crashes on the P52 model.

Options

1 Posts

11-22-2018

United States of America

2 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: P52 graphics driver crashes

2019-01-27, 3:18 AM
same here. i already changed mouse pad after firmware bricked it. it crashed about once a week.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms