DE

14 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 1 of 9

P52 video_tdr_failure, no -hdmi

2020-05-11, 10:13 AM

Hi to all,
I have some issues here with the P52 (with the NVIDIA Quadro P3200), after a lots of other issues. This product is not that cheap on th price side and on the quality side, I think I do not need to say anything.  

The first computer was bricked after I switched the grafics card mode to descrete mode. Then I got a replacement for this computer,  that has 5 defective green pixels. The third machine had issue with the grafics card again. When the problem happened, the screen looks like a TV with TV noise. So I brought it back to the dealer and they checked it. The result was that the thermal paste was already dryed out and they replaced the thermal paste, but the problem was not solved. A mainboard replacement in march this year solved this problem, but it creates the recent issues with bluescreens (error code: video_scheduler_internal_error , video_tdr_failure) while using  CAD (Solid Works) and  external screen via HDMI. But sometimes the external screen doesn't work because of no signal is coming out of the HDMI port. Lenovo Vantage, Windows Update and Microsoft Store are up to date. I sent the computer to the dealerto check and reinstall Windows 10. They told me that they haven't find some issues anymore. They also told me that my Windows 10 installer is demaged, but I used new sd-card and the image from the manufacturers homepage. Nothing has changed after the procedure.  

What are the ISO 9001 and the Ecodesign requirements?

"Built to go on and on. And on.

Like all ThinkPads, the P52 mobile workstation is tested against 12 military-grade requirements and more than 200 quality checks to ensure they run in extreme conditions. Our ThinkPads undergo some of the most stringent product testing in the industry, so you get the perfect blend of value and durability when you purchase a ThinkPad. From the arctic wilderness to desert dust storms, from zero-gravity to spills and drops, you can trust this mobile workstation to handle whatever life throws your way."

Which military-grade requirements are that?  

Or is it only hot air?

Can someone tell me what happens next year or in two years? 

Options

6 Posts

05-11-2020

DE

14 Signins

100 Page Views

• Message 2 of 9

Re:P52 video_tdr_failure, no -hdmi

2020-05-14, 9:13 AM

HI,

I add some pictures for you for the diagnosis of this (grafics ?) issues. I have already change the wireless adopter settings (?) to maximum and a scf/scannow scan hasn't detect some problems.

I hope that someone has a solution. 

Options

2 Posts

06-06-2020

DE

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 9

2020-06-06, 7:42 AM

Hello,

I have had the same problem (P52) with the NVIDIA Quadro P3200 for some time. I operate 2 monitors via a Thunderbold Dock (Gen2). But that does not seem to be important.  

I have now opened a service ticket.

Anyone got an idea?

Options

413 Posts

07-08-2019

CA

565 Signins

7328 Page Views

• Views: 7328
  • Message 4 of 9

2020-06-08, 17:13 PM

Hi!

Just so you know, video_tdr_failure means Windows thinks (erroneously?) that the display driver is not responding (busy) for too long. By default, the timeout is two seconds, very short. Source: Microsoft: Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. The Graphics driver is responsible for this error. 

Influencing factors could be the Power profile, the Windows Power slider setting, the background software load, the available free memory, or anything that loads up the machine. 

First things to check are if there's newer BIOS/Graphics drivers on your machine's page on the Support site and check them out. By design, Vantage will show them later than the Support site. I would also look up the certified driver versions on Solid Works's website, and maybe try them.

Did you read the nVidia help article shown in the first picture you attached?

Martin

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

I'm a volunteer, NOT a Lenovo employee.
If I solved your issue, please click Accept as a Solution.
If my post helped, consider giving me a Thumbs Up.

Main: P52 (I7-8750H P1000 FHD 16GB 2TB-SSD 1TB-HDD)
Also, 2x M820z, 1x P520c, 1x ideaCentre 300S-11IBR

Options

6 Posts

05-11-2020

DE

14 Signins

100 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2020-06-09, 16:57 PM

Hi Martin, ToMuP52,

thanks for the replys.

I read it.

In the the last weeks, I had most crashes/ bluesreens since I use an computer. If I have some luck there is one crash a day, if not I will get 3 to 5 crashes. At the moment I have not so much VIDEO_TDR bluescreens on this machine. I think it comes from less using CAD on this machine, because I can't save when I get the TDR/OPEN GL messagebox on Windows. The settings in SolidWorks are not changed, after reinstallation of Windows.  Also stress test/ benchmark test with FURMARK and emulation software BLUESTACKS give the same messagebox.  So it is not only SolidWorks that makes problems. The issues came with the mainboard replacement, I haven't seen something like this before.

The recent error message I get comes from the nvlddmkm.sys. It is also the GPU-(driver). Most of the time ,after I recive this bluescreen message, the Nvidia-GPU cant be detected in by the Task Manager. I think all issues has something to do with heat transfer in the computer and the replaced mainboard. When the computer have to "work hart" so that the computer heat up, and I restart the machine the GPU is also gone. After cooling down for a half or an hour and the GPU is back. The one good thing after the GPU is disappeared is that everything works without issues except the external monitor. But I loose some power for example for simulations in Ansys.

Another thing I have observe is shown in this short video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JdENa4Vew_aF8hgIHbp87JA_frUuNH3w/view?usp=sharing

The purple lines and dots on the external monitor (HDMI) sometimes appears under load.

I tried to repair both with the help from the internet:

1. reinstall the GPU-driver with VANTAGE (it is the same software like on the homepage, see screenshot), I have not updated it because it is up to date.
  2. driver rollback to an older version
  3. use the Windows GPU-driver instead of the manufactures one
  4. clean the registry
  5. change the porwer settings to high
  6. I reinstalled Windows
  7. the dealer also reinstalled Windows

There is an BIOS Update/BIOS Upddate Utilty release today (09.06.2020). I have not installed it now. 

Options

413 Posts

07-08-2019

CA

565 Signins

7328 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2020-06-09, 21:53 PM

Hi @KgWhNg,

It is possible that an air bubble was trapped between the GPU heatsink and the GPU when the mainboard was replaced. 

I recommend you test the machine/GPU using the Lenovo Diagnostics. You can access it by pressing F10 during boot. You can also run them on a clean Windows install if you can spare the disk space to eliminate external influence from other applications. See here: Lenovo Diagnostic Solutions: Diagnose & Fix

Any error during this test would be suspicious and I would open a ticket.

If those tests pass, I would then run a 24H CPU/RAM/GPU stress test to test the heat management system. Make sure there's no accumulation of dust/hair in the fan grills/case bottom, that the room is 20°C-25°C, and get the machine about an inch off the table to ease air circulation (without blocking any vents).

I ran such a test when my P52 was almost fresh out of the box, and it passed. There are a few variables in this test, but I would not expect ANY overheating. Monitor the temperatures. Intel XTU is a good monitor, but DON'T tweak anything!

Good success!

Martin

Options

6 Posts

05-11-2020

DE

14 Signins

100 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2020-06-10, 20:19 PM

Hi Martin,

thank you for the recommendations and advices.

The fans have 2 cm (1 inch = 2.54 cm) spce to suck "fresh" air.

I forgot to say that I already used the manufacturers diagnostics tool three month ago and two or three week after the mainboard was replaced.This was recommended by the dealer. The logs were emty. I send the computer back to the dealer last month, because the wanted to test it and reinstall Windows. They didn't found anything. If I use GPU-using software, it can be critical for a bluescreen. 

I have clean the computer today. I was some dust stick on the fans, which I have removed. The temperatur was lowered a little bit, while XTU stress test. During the test thermal throttling  and  current/EDP limit throttling was only shown at the beginning.  I have the power limit thottling during the whole test. I don't recive some error message while CPU stress tess with XTU, but I only have tested it for 10 or 15 minutes. After this I did a restart of Windows and the Nvidia-GPU was not there.

Once the Nvidia-GPU is back again, I tested the GPU with Furmark. Within 3 or 5 minutes the TDR detection was shown on the monitor and Furmark was crahed. After a restart of Windows the Nvidia-GPU is away again. 

I have observe that the system is lagging, if the external monitor is connected to the computer.

Normally it shouldn't be like this, i guess. It is annoying.

As you can see on the external monitor (second screenshot) it shows some non usual groups of green pixels, after I right click on the taskbar and move the cursor up and down.

Options

6 Posts

05-11-2020

DE

14 Signins

100 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2020-08-22, 22:32 PM

The result was that a malfunction of something on the mainboard, but nobody knows what. On the repair documentation was documented the symptom with "random reset" and the replaced parts with "motherboard". I wonder how they can improve their products, when they don't know which specific part make this malfunction. An other thing was a missing ssd-screw, the second one for your own ssd.

After two weeks of use and testing i found a "hidden function". I think this function shouldn't be there. When i press Fn-key and F8-key to turn off the WiFi, the computer turns off without warning, but  I have to say the battery was not inserted. With the battery the standard function Fn+F8 works normal. But when the computer was turned off and the battery is removed the computer will turn off after log in. Once the machine is turned off, the power connector needs to be unplugged and replug again then i can start the computer again. 

Options

413 Posts

07-08-2019

CA

565 Signins

7328 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2020-08-24, 3:37 AM

Hi!

I'm sorry if I haven't answered earlier! I must have missed the notification (or it was broken!).

For the shutdown problem, I noticed you removed the battery. Instead, I recommend you set custom battery thresholds in Vantage : Charge at 40%, stop at 50%. It will greatly reduce wear on the battery while still being useful against power glitches and demand spikes.

Martin

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete