Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

06-29-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 6

P53 Overheating

2021-06-29, 3:58 AM

So I had heard some rumors about thermal throttling and began to monitor my temps. Initially seemed pretty good with core temps in 40s but then started to notice temps in 70s to 100s without warning, no change in fan speed, minimal CPU usage while simply browsing the internet. During reboot I noticed the fans kick in high gear for a short time and then things seemed to stabilize but high temps would come back intermittently and would have to reboot again. Also have noticed that during simple web browsing I can have average temps in 40s but brief spikes up to 100c with brief "Power Limit Throttling" and "Thermal Throttling" reported by my newly installed Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

In comparison to my previous laptop I am very pleased with the performance of my new p53 however seeing temps hitting 200+ degrees Fahrenheit makes me wonder just how long this machine is going to last. I finally retired my last laptop after more than 10 years of use.

I have also installed all the latest Lenovo updates and Windows 10 updates.

Out of curiosity as I'm writing this email I tried the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility stress test that I have not used before. The Core temps shot up to 100c followed by "Power Throttled" and "Thermal Throttled." The strange thing is that the fans had almost no change, after about 30 seconds of 100c temps on 2 of the cores it finally went from its typical low speed to what I would call a medium speed but only for a few seconds and then returned to low speed. The core temps dropped to 80s Celsius but apparently due to throttling with no apparent help from the fans. 

Maybe I'm getting worried over nothing but if memory serves me correctly I had my previous laptop setup to warn me when temps got into the 70s. If I did that on this laptop it would be alarming on a regular basis.

Options

3217 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

256 Signins

16275 Page Views

• Views: 16275
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:P53 Overheating

2021-06-29, 14:08 PM

Hello Mamkeci,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

I'm sorry to hear that your P53 is overheating.
To begin with, kindly go to BIOS menu, load the default settings, then save before exiting.
Next step is to update the drivers and BIOS thru the support site (instead of Vantage).
Restart the computer.
Observe and update us how it goes

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

06-29-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-06-29, 15:11 PM

Everything is up do date per the support site. BIOS reset to defaults. Continue to see brief intermittent spikes in temp to 100 Celsius and "power limit throttling" and "thermal throttling" per Intel Extreme Tuning Utility even with single digit CPU usage. I see more of the "power limit throttling" than thermal. I also noticed at one point during the scan on the support site that all CPU cores hit 100 Celsius, or very close to it, for roughly half the scan duration without any change to fan speeds. I did a reboot and repeated the scan and it spiked to 100C on 2 cores but not all of them, again with no change to fan speed. Everything is very intermittent.

@ Lorenzo_Lenovo wrote:

Hello Mamkeci,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

I' sorry to hear that your P53 is overheating.
To begin with, kindly go to BIOS menu, load the default settings, then save before exiting.
Next step is to update the drivers and BIOS thru the support site (instead of Vantage).
Restart the computer.
Observe and update us how it goes

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Options

3 Posts

06-29-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-07-12, 18:15 PM

Well temps continue to hit 100 degrees C on a regular basis with practically no load on CPU. 

Options

3217 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

256 Signins

16275 Page Views

• Views: 16275
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-07-16, 18:46 PM

You can have this reported to the tech support team in your region so that they would be able to investigate further if any service is also needed.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

510 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

773 Signins

5604 Page Views

• Views: 5604
  • Message 6 of 6

2021-07-18, 11:13 AM

f you right click on the battery icon, what Power Mode are you in? Try putting it in Balanced or Better Battery and se if that affects the machine behaviour.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms