Options

24 Posts

02-29-2016

United States of America

39 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 201 of 212

Re:P53 Performance Issues - Thermal/Power Throttling?

2020-11-17, 19:50 PM

Hey, friends.  I'm afraid I have to join the chorus in echoing these problems.  I purchased my P53 (9850h, RTX 5000, 64gb ram) in July.  I've long been a fan of the P/W line and was very excited to have such a no-compromise (especially the GPU) desktop replacement machine.  For the first three months, it was honestly blissful.  I stream music performances and put music stuff out on YouTube, and the P53 was wonderful for both.  I also game with my friends and it worked wonderfully in that environment as well.  I'm not sure if it was a new driver or update, but around six weeks ago, the dreaded throttling started.  

Games I was once running at 4k ultra to the tune of 60fps were now relegated to 30fps at FHD low.  After finding this thread, I realized that my GPU voltage and speed were immediately throttling down to half power and 300mhz as so many others have experienced.  The most frustrating part is that following some of the advice in the thread DID fix it, but only temporarily.  Different drivers, different firmware, installing thermal management software...uninstalling TM software, using the power slider in the battery icon.  All of these would randomly fix it for a couple of days, and then back to the drawing board.

It's been frustrating, but when it's working as intended, this computer just suits my needs so perfectly.  I've started a ticket with Lenovo support, which I've never had to do before.  I'll be monitoring this thread and posting any updates I may have.

Options

17 Posts

12-03-2019

Germany

27 Signins

243 Page Views

• Views: 243
  • Message 202 of 212

2020-11-18, 6:55 AM

Regarding the lap mode and performance loss, these were my most important sum of experiences (for me myself) in this thread - I actually had to read most of the posts of others, make up my mind and come up with a solution for myself that - so far - is working for me. The only thing I have not tried (but was the solution for many here) is totally reinstalling a fresh windows without Lenovo-special hacking.

My summary along the way:

https://forums.lenovo.com/topic/findpost/1306/4528377/4596033

Registry hack to avoid getting in lap mode (be careful and use the slider, Luke!)

https://forums.lenovo.com/topic/findpost/1306/4528377/4600163

Before the registry hack you can try the following batch-file to stop and start the intelligent thermal solution service (with the registry hack I don't need it any more):

@REM SET SUDO=

SET SUDO=C:\prog\nirsoft\nircmd.exe elevate

%SUDO% net stop LITSSvc

%SUDO% net start LITSSvc

Options

4 Posts

11-23-2020

Poland

6 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 203 of 212

2020-11-23, 15:44 PM

can anybody explain why the value one need to set in the registry is "4" and not anything else? The solution is working only partially for me.

I have been struggling with this issue since I've started working on a new P43s. It seemed impossible that Lenovo is selling faulty devices and is not willing to fix it with any service action, driver update or by taking any other action.

What I have tried since noticing the problem (symptoms: thermal throttling, cpu running at around 0,4ghz - it's impossible to work after running software that I was always using without any trouble on older ThinkPads (T450s, T480s, W540).

1) I've replaced the thermal compound.

- noticeable performance increase but the issue still persists

2) I started using ThrottleStop.

- unfortunately, this is not a solution, but just a temporary fix.

3) I disabled the "lap mode" by modifying the registry.

- P43s was working properly for nearly 2 weeks, plugged in and on battery power. Yesterday for the first time I docked it in ultra docking station and the problem came back!!! I can't tell if the issue only occures while using the station or it came back because the sensor is still active.

Options

24 Posts

02-29-2016

United States of America

39 Signins

210 Page Views

• Views: 210
  • Message 204 of 212

2020-12-01, 14:56 PM

Just to add another data point:  my P53 was working just fine using the power slider for the past two weeks, then arbitrarily reverted back to hard throttling this morning while playing a game.  Reinstalled the driver and it hasn't helped.

Lenovo responded to my ticket and said they can't accept any service center warranty claims.  Sweeeeeet.

Options

26 Posts

11-15-2019

Georgia

81 Signins

497 Page Views

• Views: 497
  • Message 205 of 212

2020-12-01, 16:19 PM

Guys, how do you think, is it normal if a max temperature is so high? I don't understand, how can CPU be within 60-75 temps and instantly go up 95C and down in a millisecond?

The graph is done before 0.120 undervolt. Now constant temps are below 80C under heavy load but this sudden max peak value make me nervous :(

Options

141 Posts

11-12-2019

Israel

228 Signins

3525 Page Views

• Views: 3525
  • Message 206 of 212

2020-12-03, 18:58 PM

@jaisoif23  

It's "4" because a service that has its "Start" key set to "4" is disabled and Windows will not allow it to start. The registry hack effectively disables the buggy Lenovo's APS (active protection system) driver. If you have implemented the hack correctly, and provided that the hack is still working (which I can't tell because I don't own a machine I can test with), the APS driver is not what's causing your issues. There are multiple overlapping issues with power management in Thinkpads, and you might be seeing a different one. For instance, IIRC, there was an issue where a thinkpad wouldn't recover from an overheating event correctly and would continue to throttle indefinitely - a workaround would be to adjust the "Power mode" slider to any other position (you can immediately put it back). Alternatively, it could be possible that something re-installed or re-enabled the APS driver on your machine - you might want to make sure that the service is still disabled in registry.

Options

141 Posts

11-12-2019

Israel

228 Signins

3525 Page Views

• Message 207 of 212

2020-12-03, 19:52 PM
@jaisoif23 also, take a look at the following thread, you might be experiencing a similar issue. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/P73-performance-issue-after-startup/m-p/4564670
Options

4 Posts

11-23-2020

Poland

6 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 208 of 212

2020-12-04, 20:51 PM

I will just mention first that none of the updates supplied by Lenovo in the meantime helped resolving the issue.

I guess the registry keys change its values back to defaults after reinstalling the device drivers through device manager.

@ ThinkpadIL wrote:

@jaisoif23 also, take a look at the following thread, you might be experiencing a similar issue.https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/P73-performance-issue-after-startup/m-p/4564670

I disabled secure boot and enabled CSM (I think there is no "discrete gpu only" option in P43s bios - you can only set if apps should use P520 gpu in "NVidia Control Panel"). I also changed performance setting for AC power to "battery optimized" in bios.

It seems to be working much better, the clock speeds are much higher than before... idk which bios setting did the trick. If the cause is fast boot and secure boot - can I expect any driver update targeting this issue anytime soon? I guess I will try continue working on this laptop to see if it's actually enough stable now to be used as a "workstation" ;) 

Thank you for your help!

Options

141 Posts

11-12-2019

Israel

228 Signins

3525 Page Views

• Message 209 of 212

2020-12-04, 23:06 PM

I'm not sure why you guess that the registry keys changed their values - did you check that they did?

Overall it sounds like you did a bunch of random stuff inspired by the notion that changing BIOS settings could be helpful and may not harm. Generally this is not a productive approach to the problem. And very easy to cause yourself way more trouble than you would have had otherwise. It's usually safe enough to test different settings (provided that you know what they do) in order to see if any specific change resolves a specific issue you are experiencing. However to make sense of this process, one needs to approach it methodically, starting with making sure that they know how to consistently replicate the issue at hand. Randomly changing settings and then sticking with them without doing the analysis is counterproductive. IMHO. And posting this sort of experience doesn't help the community and may make inexperienced people believe that this is the way to go, or waste their time trying to replicate your settings which might lead to more issues than what they started off with.

Options

4 Posts

11-23-2020

Poland

6 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 210 of 212

2020-12-05, 13:08 PM

I don't see whats a big deal over here - your above offtopic ain't helping anybody - thats for sure! I know what is this option for - one must be an idiot not to know... but maybe it's dark magic available only for the wise ones :-) I wanted to post today if any of these actions helped. Additionally to enabling CSM I just changed the power settings as I thought it might help also - but it didn't as well as the CSM hint did not. The situation is still exactly like before - mobile workstation that is not able to run photoshop or programming IDE. Running sometimes between 0,4 Ghz -1 Ghz and sometimes all good - inside the docking station the situation is worse.

To be sure I checked also with the bios power setting set to max perf. like before - I hope it's enough to satisfy the methodological approach suggested above :) I have changed nothing except for that - there is no word about bunch of stuff being changed so plz read more carefully.

Registry values - I updated the driver in device manager - by selecting Lenovo APS Driver device - driver - update driver - search for updated driver. It found version 1.82.5.7 and after the update was finished the registry key values returned to default ones.

When running P95 the cpu clock is not going over 2.6-2.7 Ghz and is getting less over time if you continue running the test. It ends up around 0,4-0,5 Ghz and stays this way:

it's the same behaviour like before applying the fix suggested in P73 thread.

Not to mention the GPU eating all available memory...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms