Options

13 Posts

01-07-2020

DK

10 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 1 of 12

P53 Thermal Problems - poor cooling and CPU throttling - any solution anytime soon Lenovo?

2020-02-25, 18:44 PM

The P53 has massive cooling problems due to 

1. Wrong cabinet design resulting in "short circuited" air flow. So it cannot cool itself sitting on a table. It has to be vertical to work.
  2. CPU throttling does not stop after motion has stopped (when using on lap) unless you restart the machine or the Lenovo service. This means performance it less than half - again due to poor thermals.
  3. Bugs in the fan control.
    • Fans do not turn on until you have logged in to Windows.
    • Fans suddenly go to high speed after standing idle with no CPU activity after a while and does not go back to silent until you change the power mode so another mode

I have tried with 1.15 BIOS and 1.19. According to P73 users 1.20 makes things even worse. So have not tried that.

Hoegge

Options

13 Posts

01-07-2020

DK

10 Signins

94 Page Views

• Message 2 of 12

Re:P53 Thermal Problems - poor cooling and CPU throttling - any solution anytime soon Lenovo?

2020-02-28, 8:34 AM

Can't believe I'm the only one with these problems. There are Youtube videos about it, I have had two motherboards and the issues are the same.

When will we get a BIOS and thermal drivers that work as they should?

Hoegge

Options

9 Posts

02-28-2020

US

9 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 3 of 12

Re:P53 Thermal Problems - poor cooling and CPU throttling - any solution anytime soon Lenovo?

2020-02-28, 11:49 AM

I have same issues ........whit last bios update it get better but still not fixed 

Options

7 Posts

03-01-2020

FR

10 Signins

90 Page Views

• Views: 90
  • Message 4 of 12

2020-03-01, 13:59 PM

about thermal trottling problems here's an interesting video about laptop cpu/gpu repasting that seem to solve the problem :

Options

13 Posts

01-07-2020

DK

10 Signins

94 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2020-05-05, 8:01 AM

No - the problem is faulty thermal management drivers from Lenovo. Maybe made to cover up a thermal issue, but when restarting the LITSsvc and making sure not to move the laptop (motion throttles the CPU - a naive attempt to prevent the PC from getting too hot when used on a lap that instead cripples performance) makes it run pretty ok for a while, but then fan control is a mess (not really correlateted to temperatures)

Options

1 Posts

09-09-2020

US

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 6 of 12

2020-09-09, 0:12 AM

@ the-real-hoegge wrote:

The P53 has massive cooling problems due to 

1. Wrong cabinet design resulting in "short circuited" air flow. So it cannot cool itself sitting on a table. It has to be vertical to work.
  2. CPU throttling does not stop after motion has stopped (when using on lap) unless you restart the machine or the Lenovo service. This means performance it less than half - again due to poor thermals.
  3. Bugs in the fan control.
    • Fans do not turn on until you have logged in to Windows.
    • Fans suddenly go to high speed after standing idle with no CPU activity after a while and does not go back to silent until you change the power mode so another mode

I have tried with 1.15 BIOS and 1.19. According to P73 users 1.20 makes things even worse. So have not tried that.

Hoegge

Hello!

You are NOT the only one with this problem, and I wanted you to know you're not alone.  My issue comes from using my P53S with a docking station, and the design guys flubbed up by creating the scoop short of the fan input grill.  That means most of the fan was blocked by the bloody dock!

I am receiving some consideration from Lenovo by their having offered to swap me out for a stand-alone model dock, but I have to say that even with a pencil stuck in between the dock and the laptop to create space the temp is climbing steadily with prolonged use (measured with the Intel Power Gadget 3.5 tool).

If it wasn't for this I'd be otherwise happy with the machine - I'm working normally with a combination of the pencil trick and a fan blown at it from behind occasionally.

I'll be following this to see how you fare, and if anybody else has any inspired wisdom to offer.

Hang in there!

Options

4 Posts

08-07-2019

US

9 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 7 of 12

P53 Thermal Problems - poor cooling and CPU throttling - any solution anytime soon Lenovo?

2020-09-15, 20:04 PM
Yeah, I'm having the same issue. Even when CPU temperatures are in the 30s, the fans spin constantly.
Options

13 Posts

01-07-2020

DK

10 Signins

94 Page Views

• Message 8 of 12

2020-09-20, 8:23 AM

It is now 254 days since I reported the various issues to Lenovo and my fans are still running high on Best Performance, and the Graphics card at 1/4 speed at better performance. Lenovo has changed the motherboard 3 times until they broke the machine and I got a new one with no differences. They have not responded to the driver issues at all, despite saying it has been escalated to level 2  two months ago. Lenovo does not seem to have ANY support on their drivers, firmware and BIOS at all. The CPU throttling due to motions seems to have disappeared with an update, but it is not documented anywhere in the release notes. I have always been happy with Lenovo, but for sure this was the last PC I or any company I work with will buy from them.

Options

11 Posts

10-28-2019

US

10 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 9 of 12

2020-09-28, 23:41 PM

Is there any point where they give a refund instead of fully replacing the motherboard over and over.

I opened a ticket around a month and a half ago due to getting abysmal performance on the laptop. 

Attempting to use it for work and it is throttled 100% of the time, not just for thermal but also Power Limit Throttling as well as Current/EDP Limit throttling.

The only time my CPU gets anywhere near 4ghz is when the computer is not being used at all. It NEVER reaches the CPU top of 4.6, even if only using 1 core. The moment I start to actually use it it starts throttling like crazy, to the point that I do not even receive the non-boosted normal frequency of 2.6Ghz. Many times it throttles down to 1-1.5Ghz. Once I put in the ticket they told me to run diagnostics and report back to them with the error code so that they could replace the part. I ran the diagnostics and it reported everything was 100% perfect. 

Then about a week later when I booted up the system reported 1 fan failed, running with reduced performance. From there I ran their diagnostic again and it still said everything is 100% OK, since the diagnostics does not actually check the fans. I let them know and they ordered a replacement fan assembly for me, and had a tech at my house within 3 days to install it. He took apart the laptop completely since the fan assembly requires a pretty much 100% disassembly. He replaced it and when the laptop was started back up, low and behold, "ERROR: 1 Fan Failure".

At this point he ordered a replacement motherboard and came back around 5 days later to install it.

The specs I am running on this laptop are pretty much everything maxed out, so this is NOT a cheap motherboard. Their own parts site lists my MB as around $4600.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9850H CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000

When he installed the new motherboard and started the computer back up, "ERROR: 1 Fan Failure, reduced performance".

At this point the entire laptop has been replaced with the exception of the 64GB of Memory, the 2TB Hard Drive, the Screen, and the Keyboard.

He ordered a replacement fan assembly again, and we waited another 5 or so days for it to arrive and he came and once again took apart the entire laptop to reapply the thermal paste and install the new fan assembly. This time it worked properly. 

5 minutes after he left my place the system started throwing blue screen errors. Many different errors as well.

• DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
  • PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA
  • VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE
  • SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

The video error indicated a nvidia driver.

In addition to blue screens I had multiple occasions where the laptop just powered off completely and refused to turn back on for upwards of 5 minutes. Power button would just flash a few times then go off again.

I figured this was most likely a hardware issue still but possibly it was software so I went ahead and installed Windows 10 Pro from scratch, just to rule out maybe some weird driver problem.

Once it booted up before I could even fully launch the Lenovo Vantage application in the new windows install it blue screened again. It continued to do this for a few days then the laptop completely stopped powering up at all. They place an order for another motherboard, which arrived and was installed today, finally appearing to fix the hardware issues. We checked windows for a bit before he left today and it looked fine and was not crashing anymore. When I ran my work software as well as intel benchmarking software I still have all the same throttling issues. I tried to go onto a youtube video to look up something and I noticed the laptop no longer has audio. It detects no speakers at all. On top of that X-Rite Color cannot pull profiles from their server throwing a invalid serial number error even though it confirmed my serial before it let me download the app, AND the Intel Management Engine 12 Firmware update cant install. It just proceeds to install, reboots windows, then says it has failed in the Lenovo app.

I am not even sure what to do now as there are so many problems, I mean I am going to list them again in a support ticket I suppose, but even when they can fix all the hardware problems, I need this laptop to actually perform at full specs without being throttled down badly. What is my recourse here? Do they ever refund after you have countless failures, or do they allow you to switch to another laptop with similar specs and NO thermal problems? Do they just keep replacing motherboards over and over and over?

I have an expectation that this should at the minimum run as per the advertised specifications when I bought it. This is a super expensive system.

I still have over 3 years of warranty left on this with on-site service.

Options

3783 Posts

12-02-2007

US

9023 Signins

187923 Page Views

• Views: 187923
  • Message 10 of 12

2020-09-29, 8:34 AM

Hello,

Given the variability in error messages, I am wondering if there might be a problem with one of the memory modules in the unit.

Try running MemTest86 overnight on the machine (the free version is more than adequate for this) and see if it reports any RAM errors.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete