Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

11-24-2019

Russian Federation

10 Signins

53 Page Views

• Views: 53
  • Message 1 of 9

P53 Thinkpad not starting after blocked firmware update (Esc + F1 + F4 leds blink)

2019-11-24, 17:48 PM

Hi all,

Here are the startup that led to the situation :

- PopOs! (Ubuntu derivative) proposed firmware update, I accepted, the OS downloaded them and rebooted

- after additional 1-2 reboot, my lenovo P53 remained stuck on the firmware update screen "Flashing embedded controller.. Please do not power off"

- after ~16 hours on this screen, and all fans working at their maximum speed, I tried to switch the laptop off, but the power key was unresponsive

- I unplugged the alimentation cable. After like 2 hours the laptop battery was empty and the laptop stopped

Now:

- the power button is unresponsive, doesn't do anything (not even a light flashing)

- when I plug the alimentation cable, the Esc, F1 and F4 keys flash for a fraction of a second

I tried :

- pushing the emergency reset button with and without the alimentation cable

- removing the battery for a few minutes, pressing the emergency button then pushing the power button

Without any result

Any help would be welcome, it's not even my laptop ?

Cheers

Options

2 Posts

11-25-2019

Germany

4 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: P53 Thinkpad not starting after blocked firmware update (Esc + F1 + F4 leds blink)

2019-11-25, 0:35 AM

Hi!

I have a very similar problem with my P53. After successfully updating the BIOS I went on using the laptop on battery, then decided to connect it to the charger. The charger LED (the one near the power cable socket at the back side of the laptop) turned orange and then afer several seconds it crashed and woudn't turn on anymore.

I tried to disconnect it from the charger and press the emergency button and it started working again but on battery only. Every time I connect the charger it crashes. I tried two different chargers (170w and 230w) just to be sure that it wasn't the charger's fault. Similar behaviour occurs when I try to charge the battery while the laptop is off.

Update:

Just to make sure it's not a battery defect, I opened the service hatch and unplugged the battery and tried running with the PSU alone. The result was the same:

- Orange LED next to the PSU connector (it turns off when the system crashes)

- System stops working after a couple of seconds and won't start again, until I press the emergency button

Options

4 Posts

11-24-2019

Russian Federation

10 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

Re: P53 Thinkpad not starting after blocked firmware update (Esc + F1 + F4 leds blink)

2019-11-25, 14:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

I've called Lenovo support, they say the motherboard has to be changed.

Also they said it's normal for the firmware update process to last hours, if not days. To be fair I'm a programmer and I doubt it, I think such an update lasts seconds or minutes, but days? Any feedback is welcome on this point. I think the update just hang.

Options

64 Posts

03-16-2016

United States of America

1526 Signins

5585 Page Views

• Views: 5585
  • Message 4 of 9

2019-11-25, 18:28 PM

wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

I've called Lenovo support, they say the motherboard has to be changed.

Also they said it's normal for the firmware update process to last hours, if not days. To be fair I'm a programmer and I doubt it, I think such an update lasts seconds or minutes, but days? Any feedback is welcome on this point. I think the update just hang.

Yeah that is definately BS.  I've done hundreds of firmware updates on desktops, laptops, servers, routers, ect. in my 30 years in IT.  The longest time I've seen a firmware update take is ~ 1/2 hour and that length of time is a rarity.  If an update hasn't finished in an hour, you can be sure it's failed.

Options

2 Posts

11-25-2019

Germany

4 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 5 of 9

2019-11-25, 19:03 PM

I've never heard of a Firmware update taking that long. As Gateman says, if it takes over 30 minutes, chances are good that it failed in some unexpected way.

The really strange thing is, my update actually finished with no errors. My system rebooted and worked just fine off battery. The Power supply seems to kill it somehow.

Options

141 Posts

11-12-2019

Israel

228 Signins

3525 Page Views

• Views: 3525
  • Message 6 of 9

2019-11-25, 21:25 PM

Of course firmware update on a modern laptop taking more than a few minutes is a complete and utter BS. The person who told you that it's normal for a firmware update to take hours or days is unfit for their job.

pythosoft: you have a different issue. May be related, may be not. I'd suggest you to open a separate thread if you want to try a help from community. Either way, the symptoms you are describing usually point to a problem with the motherboard, and for such cases your best course of action is warranty service.

Options

4 Posts

11-24-2019

Russian Federation

10 Signins

53 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2019-11-28, 10:44 AM

Thanks all for the comments and feedback!

Options

1 Posts

07-22-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 8 of 9

Re:P53 Thinkpad not starting after blocked firmware update (Esc + F1 + F4 leds blink)

2020-07-22, 19:10 PM

I just got P53 and have been having issues with a mouse and keyboard lag when connected to the USB C docking station. I unhooked everything and started updating all the firmware and drivers. When I got to the BIOS it seemed like it was going fine and then it rebooted and went to a black screen and the power button light steadily flashes. I waited 10 minutes with no changes, so I then held the power button down for various lengths of time. Like 60 seconds. Nothing happened. I unplugged the power and tried. Nothing. I left it unplugged and carefully took off the bottom cover and disconnected the battery wire. It powered off and booted up fine. 

I used it for another week and dealt with the lag and it also wasn't copy and pasting text if I copied from a window on the laptop monitor and not the external monitor connected to the docking station. Weird. So I went at it again. Uninstalled a lot of drivers via Device Manager. Without connecting a mouse, keyboard, dock, or monitor, I tried installing drivers and updates manually from the Lenovo support site for my model laptop. I got to the BIOS update again and it did the same thing. I am stuck again with the flashing light on the power button and a black screen. I am going to let it sit here for 2 hours and then I'll disconnect the battery again.

I didn't see a posted solution to this BIOS update issue. Hoping that some of my other issues are all linked together.

Options

4018 Posts

12-02-2007

United States of America

9086 Signins

193558 Page Views

• Views: 193558
  • Message 9 of 9

Re:P53 Thinkpad not starting after blocked firmware update (Esc + F1 + F4 leds blink)

2020-07-23, 9:40 AM

Hello,

You may want to try using the bootable CD method instead of installing the firmware while online.

The BIOS (UEFI) firmware update can be downloaded from https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p53-type-20qn-20qq/downloads/DS540999.

You may need to borrow an external USB CD/DVD drive to create a bootable disc to boot the ThinkPad P53 from.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms