Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

10-23-2019

United States of America

16 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 1 of 13

P53: WWAN status as shipped

2019-10-24, 0:08 AM

I found this thread a couple of days after ordering a new P53 with the intention of installing a second SSD after it arrived.  I called tech support to see if i would be able to do that.  The rep was very vague on details but did advise me to cancel the order and re-order with two SSDs - which I did.  

And then to make matters worse - I decided within hours after placing that order that I really would like to get the WWAN feature - allowing the use of a sim card to connect to the internet via wireless service.  I had initially assumed that all i would have to do is add the chip/card (ThinkPad Fibocom L850-GL CAT9 M.2 WWAN) if i wanted it later - but after the fiasco with adding an SSD, I figured it may not come WWAN capable (with the antenna) if the feature was not ordered.  Some other machines do, and only require the addition of the modem card (L850-GL).  Others don't and require the installation of an antenna (which some have odded successfully to other Lenovo models - after getting the parts elsewhere).

Here's the modem, which can be purchased separately:

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/mobile-broadband/4g-lte/NET-BO-TP-Fibocom-L850-WWAN/p/4XC0R38452

I called Lenavo and neither the sales nor the tech depts could tell me whether the machine would come WWAN capable - needing only the L850-GL to work - or whether it would not be WWAN capable (because no antenna was installed at the factory). 

So, if it isn't too far off topic, does anyone who purchased a P53 know whether their machine came WWAN capable with the antenna installed but not the L850-GL modem?  To add WWAN when ordering only costs an additional $93 - so there is some chance it only needs the modem.  

Thanks very much for any info.  

Moderator note: moved post to its own thread.  Edited subject to match content.  Was: Re: Thinkpad P53 Storage kit

Options

9357 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78094 Signins

2243975 Page Views

• Views: 2243975
  • Message 2 of 13

Re: P53: WWAN status as shipped

2019-10-24, 0:56 AM

wrote:

So, if it isn't too far off topic, does anyone who purchased a P53 know whether their machine came WWAN capable with the antenna installed but not the L850-GL modem?  To add WWAN when ordering only costs an additional $93 - so there is some chance it only needs the modem.  

I don't have one and can't answer your question directly.  Looking at the base spec, they come 3 ways: with WWAN, WWAN upgradable, and fuggedaboudit.  Do you have the MT-M of the machine you  ordered?  If it was pre-configured it should be possible to figure out how it will come.  If it was CTO (configured to order) it won't be possible to know, most likely.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_P53/ThinkPad_P53_Spec.PDF

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

11 Posts

10-23-2019

United States of America

16 Signins

151 Page Views

• Message 3 of 13

2019-10-24, 1:29 AM

Thank you for that link.  I came back here to post it myself after just finding it.  

Here's the pertinent text, copied below:

• Wireless WAN upgradable
• Integrated Mobile Broadband 4G LTE-A, Fibocom L850-GL, M.2 card

* For non-WWAN model, it means the model is NOT WWAN upgradable 

That appears to give 3 options.  Upgradable, functional or not upgradable.  

The order page for the customizable P53 only offers two options:

No WWAN 
or
WWAN  The Fibocom L850-GL 4G LTE-A cat 9 card will be automatically added for $90
------------------

I would read that to mean if you don't order the fully operational option, you get the non-upgradeable model.  There is no choice offered for an "upgradeable" option. 

Dare I cancel my order again?  Yikes.   

Options

12317 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40508 Signins

427409 Page Views

• Views: 427409
  • Message 4 of 13

2019-10-24, 1:39 AM

I read the spec the same way, so I would guess that if you don't buy the card initially, you don't get the antenna.  I would not like to try to get a failed LCD repaired under warranty ifI took the lid apart to add an antenna.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

434 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

388 Signins

1696 Page Views

• Views: 1696
  • Message 5 of 13

2019-10-24, 9:53 AM

Hi there, Syncros! 

Welcome to the Lenovo forum discussion! 

Based from the reference manual of the Lenovo ThinkPad P53 https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_P53?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6, some model variant of the Lenovo ThinkPad P53 will come with the WWAN (Fibocom L850-GL) by default. You can check the link that I have provided for the complete specs. Also, if you want to know the models that come with the WWAN, from the main page, kindly look for the WWAN click the funnel like icon to filter it and check the Fibocom, then you can see all the model number that come with the WWAN. 

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

6 Posts

10-18-2019

Singapore

5 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 6 of 13

2019-10-24, 15:18 PM

As shown with my recently ordered P53, if you dont order the WWAN, there so no extra 4G antenna for the WWAN module on the empty slot on the right, all they wired to is just the black/grey wifi antenna to the existing wifi module.

Also the SIM card tray is empty with no active sim card circuitry, so if you want WWAN , you need to get it when ordering.

Options

11 Posts

10-23-2019

United States of America

16 Signins

151 Page Views

• Message 7 of 13

2019-10-24, 23:54 PM

Thank you very much.  I really appreciate you taking the time to share the info you have.  

I got a quote for a new order with the WWAN installed and functional. 

However, in the process, they told me that I could not get WWAN with the screen I had chosen - the FHD (1920x1080) IPS, 500 nits screen.  

Instead, i am told i have to choose between the FHD (1920x1080) IPS, 300 nits screen or the UHD 4k screen.  

That seems odd, although the WWAN antenna is behind the screen.  Anyone ever hear that before?  

I would go with the 4k, except i'm worried about battery life.  I need to find out how much shorter it would be. 

Options

12317 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40508 Signins

427409 Page Views

• Views: 427409
  • Message 8 of 13

2019-10-26, 4:06 AM

I don't know for certain, but I would guess that the 500 nit screen generates slightly more EMF that, when added to the EMF from the WWAN antenna, put it over the limit for FCC certification, which is needed before a device can be sold in U.S.  I remember a similar situation with a Yoga 260.  They couldn't get it certified with a WWAN antenna and modem.  Lenovo had already advertised the fact that WWAN was an option so they needed to design a different motherboard with soldered memory.  Apparently soldered memory generates slightly less EMF interference than socketed memory.  If you wanted a WWAN modem, you also got soldered memory.  It seemed very strange to me at the time.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

11 Posts

10-23-2019

United States of America

16 Signins

151 Page Views

• Message 9 of 13

2019-10-26, 18:34 PM

Thank you, Rich.  I thought it was something like that.  But I followed my intuition and called the sales rep back and asked her how she reached that conclusion.  She said she had trouble ordering it on her system.  i told her I could load it and order 500 nit display with WWAN on the consumer website.  She told me to do so and send the cart number to her.  I did and she converted it into a quote with no problems ... so we ran with it.  I ordered it yesterday evening.  Fingers crossed!  

Options

11 Posts

10-23-2019

United States of America

16 Signins

151 Page Views

• Message 10 of 13

2019-10-26, 20:40 PM

P.S.  I also learned that the P53s can be ordered with just the antenna and upgraded later with the modem card.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms