Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

11-09-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 7

P53s Excessive CPU Throttling

2020-11-09, 16:49 PM

Hello all, 

A few weeks ago I started experiencing random performance drops on my P53s. It first manifested as typing delay, sometimes lagging behind by a whole sentence. It has since grown increasingly worse, now intermittently making my workstation unusable for short portions of the day. 

After some standard troubleshooting (Drivers updated, windows updates installed, restore point, BIOS updated, another charger etc) and investigating, I discovered that my CPU is being DRASTICALLY throttled. Whenever my CPU utilization goes over 30%, it begins throttling down - sometimes to as low as 0.4Ghz. 

This isn't temperature throttling, as my temps are averaging between 45c-55c. 

This is an absolutely crippling drop in performance, and it is happening regularly. Can anyone help me resolve this issue? I haven't seen anything like it before. 

Options

379 Posts

09-04-2019

United States of America

292 Signins

4263 Page Views

• Views: 4263
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:P53s Excessive CPU Throttling

2020-11-10, 4:55 AM

I've never heard of such issues. The only throttling is thermal throttling. Unless you are certain you have ruled it out then get a laptop cooler with fans underneath. They should be moveable and point into vents on the bottom of the case. 

Options

3 Posts

11-09-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-11-10, 15:06 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I've ruled out thermal throttling as much as I can. If you look at the screenshot of Intel Extreme Tuning Utility in my original post, you can see the temperature of my CPU hardly goes above 54c, even during periods of heavy use. It isn't hot to the touch either; I can comfortably use it on my lap with no issue (although it is usually on a desk.)

This is a relatively new machine (less than 6 months old) so I doubt the thermal paste needs replacing. It is a puzzling issue for sure. 

Options

24 Posts

06-25-2019

United States of America

30 Signins

211 Page Views

• Views: 211
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-11-23, 18:44 PM

Hi,

I recently updated my p53s after refusing updates for several months, and I now have the same performance problems you've described: My cpu clocks drop to 0.4 ghz even when temps are <60C. This makes the laptop basically unuseable for most things, including zoom calls. Prior to updating I could get a cinebench r15 multicore score of around 800, and now I get barely above 400. I even have throttlestop installed with 33W/25W short/long power limits set and the only thermal throttling that should happen is when BDPROCHOT is tripped at 97C.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to restore my old drivers. I assume this performance problem is caused by one or more of the following:

• Intel dynamic tuning technology driver
  • Lenovo intelligent thermal solution driver
  • Lenovo power manager
  • Intel management engine software driver

I've also looked through the lenovo site for how to get in touch with tech support for this issue, but they don't give any contact info.

Let me know if you find any more information.

Options

3 Posts

11-09-2020

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-11-23, 19:06 PM
Yes, these are the same symptoms that I have been experiencing. After talking with a Lenovo rep, they recommended sending in my unit for in-warranty depot repair (a little overkill, but at this point I'm willing to try anything). If you open a support chat and ask for the Tier 3 Support number, they should give it to you. If the repair is successful I'll update here, but so far, no success. I did discover that having my laptop plugged into an (official Lenovo) dock greatly exacerbates the issue. When using the laptop isolated, it is slightly more usable, but still unacceptable levels of performance.
Options

24 Posts

06-25-2019

United States of America

30 Signins

211 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2020-11-23, 19:24 PM

Thanks for the response. My warranty actually expired only about a week ago, so I no longer get access to any kind of support chat, which I think is ridiculous. I also do not want to send this in for repairs as I need the laptop for work and the repair depot is apparently experiencing significant delays.

Next I'm going to try a fresh W10 install. I'll let you know how that goes.

A quick update: I installed TPFanControl and set the fan speed to manual at 7, which is the max, and it seems to prevent throttling down to 400mhz. This isn't a permanent fix as running at the full 5000rpms constantly would be bad for the fan, but TPFC also lets you set custom fan profiles so I'm going to try that out.

Options

24 Posts

06-25-2019

United States of America

30 Signins

211 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2020-11-30, 17:55 PM

I clean installed W10 on a new hard drive and manually updated the BIOS to 1.70/1.14 (as shown on the lenovo website, though in the UEFI bios screen it says it's version 1.68?). I now hit the correct cpu power consumption when running Cinebench R20: 29W for 28 seconds, then 25W for the remainder of the test. I still can't set custom power limits with throttlestop, but I can adjust the turbo time limit to whatever I want. I can also properly undervolt now which I don't think I could do before.

Edit: Custom power limits problem fixed. With this version of throttlestop (9.2, newest), I just had to check "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" in the FIVR screen. I can now set power limits to whatever I want, so I'd say my performance problems are completely fixed.

I will also note that after the clean W10 install I did not install Lenovo Vantage nor update any drivers from the lenovo site, except for updating the BIOS which I pulled from here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p53s-type-20n6-20n7/20n6/20n6cto1ww/downloads/ds539061-bios-update-utility-bootable-cd-for-windows-10-64-bit-and-linux-thinkpad-t490-t590-p53s-p43s. I don't seem to have any problems without Vantage, though I can no longer set a battery charge threshold and I might reinstall Vantage just for this.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms