09-08-2020

DK

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 3

P53s Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 dock nor working properly with 3 monitors

2020-09-08, 10:08 AM

Hi, I trying to get a thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 attached to a P53s to work with 3 external monitors. I can get a image on all 3 monitors, but the third is in very low resolution (around 800x600). I have updated all there is to update, including firmware for the dock but nothing helps. 

The monitors are running in 1920x1200 resolution, but even if I set them to 1920x1080 it doesn't help on the third monitor.

What can I do?

Options

1062 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

127 Signins

5891 Page Views

• Views: 5891
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:P53s Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 dock nor working properly with 3 monitors

2020-09-08, 10:41 AM

@ redgdfgdfgdfg wrote:

Hi, I trying to get a thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 attached to a P53s to work with 3 external monitors. I can get a image on all 3 monitors, but the third is in very low resolution (around 800x600). I have updated all there is to update, including firmware for the dock but nothing helps. 

The monitors are running in 1920x1200 resolution, but even if I set them to 1920x1080 it doesn't help on the third monitor.

What can I do?

Hi there and Welcome to the Community Forums.

The ThinkPad P53s has these graphics and display specs: 

• Intel UHD Graphics in processor and NVIDIA Quadro P520, 2GB GDDR5 memory;
  • Supports external digital monitor via HDMI or USB Type-C;
  • Supports 3 independent displays with 2 external monitors plus system LCD screen.
  • Max resolution: 3840x2160@60Hz (USB-C); 3840x2160@30Hz (HDMI)

3 Independent displays means it supports 3 total (in built one + 2 external monitors)

This is the reason why the last of your 3rd external monitor is very low resolution. It simply does not have enough bandwith to support more.

Hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

26 Posts

08-16-2019

RO

131 Signins

1088 Page Views

• Views: 1088
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:P53s Thunderbolt 3 Gen 2 dock nor working properly with 3 monitors

2020-09-09, 8:44 AM

sounds like you need to disable the laptop's built-in display. 

if it still doesn't work, i suggest you check the thunderbolt cable. 

other items to check, keeping in mind that you total bandwidth to the dock is 40 Gb/s:

• do you have any other high speed USB 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 devices, such as external storage?
  • is the dock's power supply plugged in? it can, under some conditions, operate without it, even though the manual says it can't.
  • is the dock allowed to ventilate? mine gets pretty warm to the touch when connecting everything to it, so i never put anything on top of it.
  • do you also use the audio and network ports on the dock? i gave up on them, since i found that the sound from the dock is inferior to what the laptop outputs, and the network port doesn't work properly with CAT6 cables (or at least the one i plugged in).
  • just as a check, do you have the latest firmware?
  • did you also try changing the inputs for the monitors, between DVI and HDMI, making sure not to use that HDMI port that is not supposed to be used simultaneously with the DVI above it? if you can, did you try the front thunderbolt connector and plug in a monitor there?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete