Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

03-27-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

6 Signins

60 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 6

P70 - USB 3 port power?

2021-03-27, 11:22 AM

Has anyone else with a P70 noticed that the three USB ports on the right hand side are not able to supply enough power for a USB attached 2.5" HDD or SSD?

I thought that I just had an issue with Windows not picking up USB HDD and SSD drives on those ports as you'd plug a drive in, you'd get the Windows "new device" sound followed almost immediately by the "device removed" sound ... the port on the left works fine with USB HDDs and SSDs and the lightning ports on the back are fine with them too. The right hand side ports are all OK with USB pen drives and USB connections to my PicoScope but SSDs and HDDs - nope...

Thought that I'd try using a powered USB 3 hub on the right hand side ports and see what happened and that was absolutely fine with connecting a USB 2.5" HDD or SSD so it looks like there's a power constraint on those ports which is annoying on what is supposed to be a "Workstation" grade machine.

I'm sure that I didn't have issues with using external USB drives originally and of course my Warranty expired in November 2020 ... **bleep**!

Anyone else hit this?

Options

1570 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

103 Signins

7885 Page Views

• Views: 7885
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:P70 - USB 3 port power?

2021-03-27, 17:09 PM

Hello Bassfiend,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

I suggest that you share the machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK) from the sticker as it would help us detail more about your machine variant.

It would also help running diagnostics.

Update us how it goes.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

6 Posts

03-27-2021

6 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-03-27, 22:46 PM

Thanks Lorenzo ...

The sticker in the battery bay says "Type 20ER-S00500 S/N xxxxx"...

Cheers

Phil

Moderator comment: Serial number(s) removed to protect member from mischief. (NateS)

Options

1570 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

103 Signins

7885 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-04-14, 19:44 PM

Sorry for the late reply.

I suggest that you share the machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK) from the sticker as it would help us detail more about your machine variant.
It maybe power related as most external device may require it but the machine type model can help us check specific to the machine.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

6 Posts

03-27-2021

6 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-04-15, 18:06 PM

Hi Lorenzo,

The only sticker that I can see on the unit is the one that I gave you the details for above - that's inside the battery compartment.

I don't see any other stickers on it...

You said about running diagnostics - what diagnostics are you suggesting?

Cheers

Phil

Options

1570 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

103 Signins

7885 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-04-30, 20:37 PM

Sorry for the late reply

Kindly check the link for BIOS diagnostics
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p70/videos/vid100750-how-to-enter-the-bios-setup-utility-in-window-8-10

For diagnostics via support site:
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ph/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-p-series-laptops/thinkpad-p70/diagnostics

Hope this helps

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms