Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

03-27-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 8

P70 - Updated BIOS yesterday, now AX WiFi which was working no longer works.

2021-03-27, 11:09 AM

Well that's annoying!

I reinstalled Windows on my Lenovo P70 yesterday and all seemed well, in doing a check for updated drivers Lenovo Service Bridge told me that there was an updated BIOS so hey, no worries, installed that too.

Noticed last night when I tried to use the machine on WiFi that the WiFi was turned off and couldn't be turned back on again ... hmmm ... now I swapped the WiFi card to an Intel AX card several months ago as I was doing some work with AX access points and it has been working fine so I'm sure Lenovo wouldn't have done anything so sneaky as to retrospectively blacklist the AX card would they? 

It seems that the answer to that is "of course they would" ... pop the original WiFi card back in and it works fine, pop the AX card back in and it just says that WiFi is off and can't be turned back on again under Windows network settings.

Grrrr! Thanks Lenovo ...!

Options

3196 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

256 Signins

16150 Page Views

• Views: 16150
  • Message 2 of 8

Re:P70 - Updated BIOS yesterday, now AX WiFi which was working no longer works.

2021-03-27, 17:14 PM

Hello Bassfiend,

Greetings

Is the AX Wifi under the list of compatible parts?

Can you provide more details about the AX card that you're using?
Update us soon as convenient

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

8 Posts

03-27-2021

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2021-03-28, 0:34 AM

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't know whether Lenovo have a recommended / compatible part WiFi 6 card for the P70, certainly the P70 BOM / assemblies document that I have has nothing newer listed than an Intel 8260 in it.

The card that I was using (and had been using for several months) is this Intel AX200 one (image attached) - if it had simply not worked from the outset it would have been less annoying.

It's not that it's even trapped and flagged at boot time - it boots and seems to run fine, even installs all the drivers, except that there's no WiFi connection and if you go to the WiFi icon in the task bar then it says WiFi is turned off and no matter what you do you can't turn it on.

I have five Lenovo laptops of various models and vintages and love working on Thinkpads because of how serviceable they are (my P70 is now 'fully loaded' with 64GB RAM and an additional 2TB of PCIex3 NVME and 2 x 8TB Samsung QVO drives) but the insistence on whitelisting of parts is always a pain...

Cheers

Phil

Options

508 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

771 Signins

5584 Page Views

• Views: 5584
  • Message 4 of 8

2021-03-29, 5:11 AM

Hi Phil, I have the same card in several P50 (with the same November 2020 BIOS) and P51 computers with the latest BIOS working fine.

If Lenovo had blacklisted the card it should not have booted at all?

I suspect something else is preventing the card from working properly.

Firstly, what Intel Device drivers have you got installed? Do you get the ones with Intel Driver Update utility? Is Bluetooth working?

Have you tried toggling flight mode on and off?

Have you got a second one to try?

If you use the above card in a different machine, is it working?

Can you downgrade the BIOS?

Options

508 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

771 Signins

5584 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2021-03-30, 10:16 AM
Hi Phil, I just updated my P50 to AX210, it works fine with the 22.30.0.11 driver I was using with AX200. If you give it another go, please make sure to install the corresponding device driver.
Options

8 Posts

03-27-2021

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-03-30, 11:52 AM

If Lenovo had blacklisted the card it should not have booted at all?

Yes, that's the only bit of this that is puzzling me...

I suspect something else is preventing the card from working properly.

Possibly - just seems very odd that it occurred *AFTER* Lenovo Service Bridge told me that there was a BIOS update available and I updated the BIOS. It had been working fine up to that point.

Firstly, what Intel Device drivers have you got installed? Do you get the ones with Intel Driver Update utility?

Right now I just have the original card drivers installed as I had to swap back to the original card as I needed the P70 back up to work on.

The AX card had been working with the default drivers that Windows downloaded as it clean-installed itself ... and it had been working on WiFi and Bluetooth with that fresh Windows install as I'd used WiFi to download software that I was reinstalling on it and had been using my BT mouse. It's just that the last thing I'd done was plug in power and Ethernet before doing the BIOS download and update so from that point on it had been tethered.

Is Bluetooth working?

It had been but I'll be honest and say that I don't actually know whether it still was working as when I was untethered and found that WiFi wasn't able to be turned on I didn't have any BT devices that I was using. Today looks to be turning out fairly quiet so I will try to do a bit more diagnosis.

Have you tried toggling flight mode on and off?

Yup - neither WiFi nor Flight Mode could be toggled on or off. Nor could I go into the WiFi settings page and turn the WiFi on again - clicking the "switch" just started a never ending spinning wheel of doom while Windows tried to enable WiFi.

Have you got a second one to try?

Unfortunately no ... I've not needed to do any AX testing on any other machines so they're still on 9xxx or 8xxx cards.

If you use the above card in a different machine, is it working?

Yes ... I tried it in another machine and it seems to still be working fine.

Can you downgrade the BIOS?

Not as far as I can see ... I did look for a "past BIOS download" link initially but couldn't fine one... :-)

Thank you for the suggestions and queries ... I'll try to take another look at it later today if I can get my invoicing finished. Month-end and self-employed makes for fun filled periods of admin if I want to be able to buy toys next month. :-)

Cheers

Phil

Options

508 Posts

12-24-2011

United Arab Emirates

771 Signins

5584 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2021-03-30, 12:22 PM

Great to hear Phil,

If you have wired ethernet available, just swap in the new card and let Intel Driver & Support Assistant download the updated Wifi and Bluetooth drivers for you after you power it back up.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html

If you don't have wired Ethernet available, first download from Intel site the correct drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30208/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30251/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10

or let Intel Driver & Support Assistant download the latest driver for you on your current adapter.

The updated driver pack will be good for the existing card as well.

Options

4272 Posts

12-02-2007

United States of America

9151 Signins

198453 Page Views

• Views: 198453
  • Message 8 of 8

2021-04-03, 13:03 PM

Hello,

When I upgraded my ThinkPad P50 from an 8260 to an AX200, I had to download the device drivers for the AX card over the Ethernet connection.  After those were installed, the machine worked as expected.

If you are changing out a network adapter, it is always good to first install (or at least download and have ready) the device drivers for the new network adapter.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)P51sP72 (20MB-*)P43sS230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)X1e gen3X1 Yoga gen 5X12 gen1X13 gen1Yoga 370

Communities: English Deutsche Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Język Polski Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms