06-29-2008

AU

357 Signins

1612 Page Views

• Views: 1612
  • Message 1 of 9

P73 and 2560x1440 resolution

2020-06-10, 3:32 AM

Is it possible to run the P73 at 2560x1440 resolution to match the 16:9 ratio of the physical screen? This option seems to be missing from the windows display resolution settings.

2560x1600 is available but this provides vertical letterboxing on the left and the right.

Similarly 1920x1080 and 1600x900 are available which line up with the 16:9 ratio also.

I can appreciate the preference is to run at the native 3840x2160 and then use scaling. That's also my preference but unfortunately I occassionally have to run legacy programs or ones that behave poorly with regards to DPI scaling.

Solved! See the solution
Options

2458 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10935 Signins

58856 Page Views

• Views: 58856
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:P73 and 2560x1440 resolution

2020-06-10, 13:12 PM

If the nVidia drivers for the Quadro (notebook) work the same way they do for GeForce (desktop), you can define a custom resolution of 2560x1440 through nVidia Control Panel.

I don't know if you are running your P73 BIOS Config -> Display set to in "hybrid graphics" (which uses a combination of Intel GPU and nVidia GPU, depending on performance need and "forced" program settings) or "discrete" mode (which uses only nVidia GPU 100% and totally disables Intel GPU, but if you're normally always plugged into wall power and not running on battery, why not set to "discrete" and get the maximum performance out of the nVidia graphics you paid for, all the time? 

Anyway, I run my P70 (FHD 1920x1080) "discrete", I run my W530 (FHD 1920x1080 "discrete"), and I plan to also run my own P73 (4K 3840x2160) arriving in two weeks as "discrete".

I have a desktop machine that has an Eizo CG318-4K monitor with "native" resolution of DCI 4K (4096x2160) but also supports UHD 4K of 3840x2160 and lower resolutions.  My own preference on this monitor is NOT to run at 4K because it's simply too small for my eyes.  Like you, I love 2560x1440 (which on my Eizo with its screen size which is not true 16x9 actually leaves small black bars on left and right but they don't bother me). However as you've observed, 2560x1440 is not necessarily a standard resolution,  apparently not for the P73 4K screen and also not for my Eizo.

My desktop machine has an nVidia GTX 1050ti graphics card, which uses the desktop GeForce drivers.  So I have created a "custom" resolution of 2560x1440 using nVidia Control Panel.  Once created and selected there, it shows up in Windows desktop resolution as well.  I'm sure it works the same way on the P73, using nVidia Control panel there (are you running "discrete"?).

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2458 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10935 Signins

58856 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2020-06-10, 13:23 PM

NOTE: because of defects in the current Forum software, images that are wider than the left/right boundaries allowed are re-sized (i.e. squeezed horizontally to "fit" and squeezed vertically to keep the original aspect ratio) without offering any way for a user to actually view the image in its original size.  This produces essentially unreadable images unless they are very limited in original width.

Unfortunately, my first screenshot is a perfect example of an image I was providing to document and clarify by visual example my text response, which has now become essentially unreadable because it is now so tiny.

However you can actually see the image in its original size if you outfox the Forum software.  Just push the REPLY button as if you were going to reply to me.  Then push the QUOTE button, which will insert all of my text and images in your supposed reply composition area.  You're not actually going to SUBMIT this reply (by not pushing the SUBMIT button), but this method for requesting quoted text in your reply will actually present the images in my own post IN THEIR ORIGINAL SIZE FOR YOU TO SEE... inside your reply composition area!

Sure, it's in this fake "reply" which at the moment contains my own post's text and images in the "quoted text" area of your reply, and which you're about to flush and cancel (not with any CANCEL button that for some reason doesn't exist thanks to Forum software under-design, which also doesn't even offer a PREVIEW button but only provides a SUBMIT button) but simply by pushing the BACK button in your browser window).

I know, seems crazy to have to jump through this hoop. But that's how you outfox the Forum software using the only method or trickery available to see someone's posted images in their original size, which have unfortunately been "miniaturized" for normal viewing by resizing via Forum software mis-handling of images.

Options

548 Posts

10-03-2011

CA

2889 Signins

14750 Page Views

• Views: 14750
  • Message 4 of 9

2020-06-11, 3:17 AM

With P73 in 'Discrete only' mode, and Windows 10 April 2020, there is an option to chose the desired resolution w/o much tinkering, right in Windows Display settings.

Options

99 Posts

06-29-2008

AU

357 Signins

1612 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2020-06-19, 20:22 PM

test reply

Options

99 Posts

06-29-2008

AU

357 Signins

1612 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2020-06-19, 20:23 PM

Thanks that fixed it DSperger. With hybrid mode you can't do this from the NVIDIA control panel but you can from the Intel Graphics Control Panel.

I have now written up several posts in much more detail. However, every time I try to post I get an "Oh wrong!" message that basically renders what I have written unrecoverable (after pressing submit you are taken to a new form that doesn't have the content, and pressing back shows the reply form but with blank data.

While I'd like to contribute meaningfully I'm not going to waste my time further with this forum software.

Options

2458 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10935 Signins

58856 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2020-06-19, 20:43 PM

@ adante wrote:

Thanks that fixed it DSperber. With hybrid mode you can't do this from the NVIDIA control panel but you can from the Intel Graphics Control Panel.

Glad you got it resolved. Perhaps you have tried to answer my other questions, and got beaten by "Oh, wrong".   My own experience is that the new forum software problem is that it automatically logs you off if you don't submit your composition (reply or new) within a reasonable time window. I have learned to failsafe myself when I spend a very long time responding or composing, by manually copying to the clipboard my entire comosition area.  I use "CTRL+a" (to "select all") and then right-click and select COPY.  Then I can push SUBMIT, and even if I get flushed with "Oh, wrong" (along with the "Sign In" button now once again active at the top of the screen, I can go through the requested signin and right-click/PASTE what I'd previously preserved to the clipboard into the newly blank composition area. And now for sure when I push SUBMIT it will go this time.

This forum software problem has been reported to the webmaster. But I am in 1000% agreement with you, it is super-annoying  when you spend a goodly amount of time composing an answer, only to lose it when you push SUBMIT. That's why I devised my own self-protection to that loss, by copying to the clipboard before pushing SUBMIT.

Anyway, I really did want to know the rest of the details of your situation. Are you also using the laptop screen along with the external monitors, or just the external monitor.  In theory (at least with my P70) all external monitors are supposed to be managed by the nVidia graphics.  Only the laptop screen is managed by either Intel/nVidia if you use "hybrid", and nVidia-only if you use "discrete".  I don't know (yet) if the graphics architecture in the P73 works the same, but will find out for myself next week when I receive my own P73.

But to the point, why use 'hybrid" at all (which involves Intel Graphics Control Panel) if you're plugged into wall power? Why not use "discrete" and utilize nVidia for the laptop screen as well?

If you're saying you "fixed" things relating to your external monitor by using the Intel Graphics Control Panel, that implies to me that the Intel graphics was involved with your external monitor.  This contradicts my intuition based on P70 architecture and suggests Lenovo has revised things with the P73. I honestly would have thought you'd have to tweak nVidia Control Panel for external monitors, not Intel Control Panel.  But then again I never run "hybrid", and I don't have a P73 to confirm.

Now of course if you don't have nVidia graphics but only built-in Intel, obviously they must have engineered things so that external monitors are supported by the Intel GPU. And obviously that would mandate use of Intel Graphics Control Panel since there simply is no nVidia Control Panel as there's no nVidia hardware present.

Nevertheless if you've solved the problem, that's really what matters.

Options

99 Posts

06-29-2008

AU

357 Signins

1612 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2020-06-20, 0:41 AM

Hey DSperber, yeah I did try to answer but here goes again (using your protection mechanism, ha)

@ DSperber wrote:

Anyway, I really did want to know the rest of the details of your situation. Are you also using the laptop screen along with the external monitors, or just the external monitor.  In theory (at least with my P70) all external monitors are supposed to be managed by the nVidia graphics.  Only the laptop screen is managed by either Intel/nVidia if you use "hybrid", and nVidia-only if you use "discrete".  I don't know (yet) if the graphics architecture in the P73 works the same, but will find out for myself next week when I receive my own P73.

My question was pertinent to the laptop screen. I do use external monitors, but this depends on my location. At work I have a 43" and a 30" (yeah....) that run via the lenovo 40AN gen2 thunderbolt 3 dock (43" is powered via tb passthrough, 30" is powered by displayport. I would have preferred to power the 43 via displayport but the 40AN is sadly not capable of that)  At home I've got dual 40" 4k screens that are connected via thunderbolt to a 1070ti eGPU hosted in a Razor CoreX enclosure.

I use the laptop screen in both configurations and like to change the resolution depending on configuration. As to exactly what honestly depends on a number of factors - desk orientation, time of day, how much caffeine I've had etc etc. I appreciate display scaling is an alternative but frequently use legacy (and not so legacy) apps where the scaling does not work well.

But to the point, why use 'hybrid" at all (which involves Intel Graphics Control Panel) if you're plugged into wall power? Why not use "discrete" and utilize nVidia for the laptop screen as well?

I do use my laptop as an actual laptop (without power) fairly regularly (more than a few times a week) so would prefer to stick with hybrid if possiible. That said, with my previous thinkpads (t61p, W520, W530, W540, p51 I think?) I have had varying levels of issues with the hybrid which has occassionally led me to turn it off where possible (and being burnt in some caess where this was impossible e.g. W540) so might end up doing it with the p73 depending on how the cost/benefit balances out.

If you're saying you "fixed" things relating to your external monitor by using the Intel Graphics Control Panel, that implies to me that the Intel graphics was involved with your external monitor.  This contradicts my intuition based on P70 architecture and suggests Lenovo has revised things with the P73. I honestly would have thought you'd have to tweak nVidia Control Panel for external monitors, not Intel Control Panel.  But then again I never run "hybrid", and I don't have a P73 to confirm.

Sorry, just to confirm again, I was trying to get the resolution setup on the native laptop.

I'm afraid I'm just in laptop mode right now so not exactly sure what things look like with other devices plugged in. I'll try to take a look next time I am connected, if you are interested.

Thanks again for the conversation! Always nice to have an in depth one with someone and you sound like a real enthusiast!

Options

2458 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10935 Signins

58856 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2020-06-20, 13:10 PM

Glad you overcame the "oh, wrong" gremlin with my trickery, even if it really shouldn't be necessary!  Hopefully the new forum software issues (and there are MANY!) will eventually be corrected, sooner rather than later.

It hadn't even occurred to me that there was alternate Thunderbolt technology available to support external GPU and external monitors via a dock (either the T3 dock from Lenovo, or something like this 13-in-1 USB-C functional mini-dock from TOTU which is what I bought for my to-arrive P73).  My mindset is still thinking P70, with built-in GPU either Intel and/or nVidia, onboard HDMI and miniDP connectors, etc..  That's why I was baffled how your external monitors could somehow be handled by the built-in Intel graphics if you weren't using built-in nVidia GPU.  Never even thought of a dock (since I actually don't own one) and its implications.

Anyway, you've got it all sorted out now.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete