Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

12-13-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 31 of 52

Re:P73 owners: have you upgraded to 2004/20H2 successfully??

2020-12-13, 11:35 AM

Dedicated Graphics is a NVIDIA Quadro P620 (running latest Driver from NVIDIA website).

Changes to the Laptop after purchase are as follows:

New 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD added to 1st Slot A NVMe0.

Stock 256GB Samsung MZVLB256HBHQ-000L7 NVMe SSD moved to 2nd Slot B NVMe1.

New 2TB WD Blue WD20SPZX-75UA7T1 HDD added to SATA drive slot with New Drive Caddy Bracket & Drive Adapter Cable.

Stock 2x8GB (16GB) RAM moved to underside rear memory slots. 

New Samsung 2x32GB (64GB) DDR4 2666MHZ SODIMM RAM MFG #:M471A4G43MB1-CTD added to under keyboard memory slots.

Lenovo USB-C to Ethernet Adapter 4X90S91831 attached to Thunderbolt USB-C port.

Logitech M325 Wireless Mouse with USB.

2x SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Drives (32GB & 64GB)

5TB WD My Passport USB 3.0 Drive attached via USB-A to USB-C cable to Thunderbolt port.

(SSD Firmware's Updated).

Tried 2004, 20H1 & 20H2 with all USB's removed (no sticks, no mouse, no USB NIC, no USB HDD... i.e. Laptop only... always get unsuccessful OS installs (or explorer.exe crashes with no desktop icons, no taskbar icons, no start menu for many minutes on 2004, repeat after next crash, repeat, repeat, until I disable the "Server" service and then the crashes stop on explorer.exe and the Laptop boots into Win10 Pro 2004 nice... but I can't run without "Server" service).

For what it's worth, same thing (explorer.exe crashes, no icons, no start menu) happens on various customers ASUS H87M-E & H170M-PLUS motherboards on 1909/2004/20H1/20H2... and I have to revert them back to 1809 or restore a backup image of 1809.  (Explorer.exe crashes stop, desktop icons appear, start menu works, windows boots nice when the "Server" service is disabled on these motherboards too... but I revert customers back to 1809 as I don't want to leave the "Server" service disabled).

It took me many days disabling all services and re-enabling one service at a time to determine the "Server" service is what causes the explorer.exe crashes and symptoms.  That service does many things, and there appears to be no driver or update to fix it yet.  I don't know the true root cause of that 1909/2004/20H1/20H2 explorer.exe crash and symptoms, but it's related to that "Server" service or another service/function/driver/program that depends on it. 

Win10 1909/2004/20H1/20H2 is still problematic on some hardware.  Other PC's work fine.  I don't know what Microsoft is doing but MS not fixing issues from 1909 and forward for some hardware is getting old.  I don't like running 1809 (or 1903) on various customers PC's (Residential and Businesses).  1909 and forward OS's have been out long enough for drivers and fixes to be created and getting known existing problems resolved.

I bought this laptop new this year in March, it shipped with 1809 on it, it had problems upgrading to 1909 (and then again later to 2004 at end of May).  I then formatted it, installed 2004 clean and had problems, formatted and installed 1909 clean and had problems, eventually disabled Secure Boot in BIOS and reinstalled 1909 and got it to work, then re-enabled Secure Boot.  New Laptop and now I can't install anything after 1909 successfully. I've been waiting all year... wish I had bought another brand of laptop now... getting real tired of it all, plus the slowness during Power On/Post (might be all the RAM or dedicated graphics) etc.

P.S.  I wasn't getting offered 2004+ either, until I changed the Diagnostic & feedback to Optional and waited a few days (from Required).

(Could just be a coincidence).

This poster says he's using a P73 on 20H2: 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/P73-games-and-other-apps-are-lagging-on-external-displays/m-p/5054759

I also got this on the P73 a couple of times trying to install 2004:

Lenovo ThinkPad P73 Type 20QR Model: 20QRS00400, i5-9400H CPU, NVIDIA Quadro P620 GPU, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SDD, 256GB Samsung NVMe SSD, 2TB WD Blue HDD, 80GB Samsung RAM (2x8GB + 2x32GB), Lenovo USB-C to Ethernet Adapter 4X90S91831, ToughBuilt Quick Access Laptop Bag TB-EL-1-L2, Klein Tools 58889 Padded Adjustable Shoulder Strap
Options

2641 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11252 Signins

60786 Page Views

• Views: 60786
  • Message 32 of 52

2020-12-13, 21:22 PM

I'm a bit baffled.

In theory, the MS "fix" is contained in KB4586853 which was officially released on Nov 30. I just checked my P73 which is still at 1909, and KB4586853 is not yet installed. So this would certainly explain why Windows Update on my P73 still doesn't offer 20H2, but instead still says "2004 is coming". If this "errant upgrade blocker" bug will actually be "fixed" when KB4586853 gets installed, obviously until it's installed any upgrade beyond 1909 is still "blocked". So at least this would explain why nothing has changed for me since Nov 30 when theoretically this "fix" was released.

Nevertheless, the "fix" KB4586853 is actually available right now with manual download from the Microsoft Update Catalog site.  Maybe it will truly get pushed out and appear automatically to everyone through regular Windows Update this next "official Windows Update Tuesday", which is Dec 15 only a few days from now. Maybe I should just wait a few more days for it to appear naturally.

But what puzzles me is that there are a total of 10 different versions of the update available, of which TWO versions seem applicable to Win10 x64 systems like on my P73:

The two versions applicable to Win10 x64 systems are named "preview for Win10 version 2004" and "preview for Win10 version 20H2", each of which has a further qualification of "applicable to Win10 version 1903 and later". I don't understand the difference here, except maybe that one update is for systems currently already at 2004 and the other update is for systems currently already at 20H2.  That makes sense I suppose, but what about systems (like my P73) that are still at 1909 or even older still at 1903???

Shouldn't there have been say two more versions, specifically one for systems currently at 1903 and another one for systems currently at 1909?  Or perhaps at the very least perhaps just one more version usable on both 1903 and 1909?  These two final options seem to be all that's left when you've already provided "specifically for those at 2004" and "specifically for those at 20H2" with the fix theoretically applicable to ANY SYSTEM 1903 OR NEWER. So what happened to that third (or maybe third and fourth) seemingly needed versions??

In other words if the update is applicable to Win10 version 1903 and later, shouldn't that be enough distinction??  Sure, if specific unique versions of the fix apply specially to those already at 2004 and yet again differently for those already at 20H2, why isn't there the seemingly missing yet required version for everybody else "at 1903 and later", i.e. those at 1903 and 1909?

So I challenge you: given what's there on the MS site, which of the just two Win10 x64 versions available is actually usable and will/should be automatically applied to a 1903 or 1909 system, not yet at 2004 or 20H2??

Bottom line: for right now, KB4586853 is absolutely NOT YET ON MY P73. So if I really wanted to manually download and apply it right this moment instead of waiting until Tuesday, exactly WHICH ONE OF THESE TWO WOULD I NEED TO GET for my P73 still currently at 1909?

Surely it can't be possible that MS forgot to post the missing but seemingly needed third (or third and fourth) variants of the fix package. for users still at 1903 or 1909?

Options

7 Posts

12-12-2020

Canada

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 33 of 52

2020-12-13, 21:57 PM

Hello Folks, while being on 1909, I tried to manually install the KB4586853 and it failed to do so, as the prerequisite are either 2004 or 20H2. The binaries of this KB are identical for 2004 and 20H2. It is fair to assume that while installing 20H2 and having the updates enabled, it should automatically download the KB4586853.

As per USATC, yesterday I made a last upgrade attempt, that has proven to be disastrous😨, where I uninstalled and deleted the drivers for the Realtek CardReader. The upgrade went through 100% (i.e.: no more 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 error) and then upon the first login, I got another BSOD saying the following other driver was responsible: TbTBusDrv.sys. Most likely Thunderbolt drivers 😢 Then, after a reboot, I reached another BSOD: Stop code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

For this point on, with 20H2 installed, I never been able to boot to Windows 10 (note: I didn't tried the Safe Mode)🙄 As I could NOT boot to Win10, in order to rollback toward 1909, I have been forced to use the WinRE and then uninstall the faulty 20H2 (all from WinRE) ... luckily a new "Uninstall latest quality Update" option was available from the Recovery Environment😓

Based on the above cascade of BSOD, I am have forced to conclude that the Lenovo P73 computer is not ready for an upgrade toward 20H2.

As I have been really afraid to get stuck with a non-functional Win10, I will stay with 1909 for a little while.

PS: In my case, the 1909 upgrade, from last year, went very smooth.

Options

11 Posts

12-13-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

135 Page Views

• Message 34 of 52

2020-12-14, 4:01 AM

Clean install of 20H2 successful. 

First batch of Windows Updates Downloads completed and system booted.  Continuing with updates (after image backup taken).  Basically:  Downloaded 20H2 .iso from MS, again, on 12/07/2020.  Mounted it, copied files to FAT32 USB. BIOS set with Secure Boot, Hyper-V and VT-d enabled, Biometrics disabled, all USB's attached, Network attached.  Booted from USB, Ran 20H2 install, Selected Custom Install, Deleted existing Windows partitions, installed 20H2 which booted to desktop fine.  Device Manager showed many devices without drivers.  Downloaded Windows Updates, waited for all to download.  Booted. Taking image backup now.  Will continue and see if there are more Windows Updates. 

Update:

Windows Updates completed and system booted (there are many optional Windows Driver Updates available, but I haven't installed any of them, descriptions are vague).  All updates completed from Lenovo Support Download website (LSB with Scan).  Lenovo Vantage installed, no additional updates.  Still some devices in Device Manager without drivers, but not many.  The devices below still need addressed:

Update2:

Installed Intel Chipset Drivers from Lenovo Website manually, booted.  All Device Manager entries are now OK.

Lenovo ThinkPad P73 Type 20QR Model: 20QRS00400, i5-9400H CPU, NVIDIA Quadro P620 GPU, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SDD, 256GB Samsung NVMe SSD, 2TB WD Blue HDD, 80GB Samsung RAM (2x8GB + 2x32GB), Lenovo USB-C to Ethernet Adapter 4X90S91831, ToughBuilt Quick Access Laptop Bag TB-EL-1-L2, Klein Tools 58889 Padded Adjustable Shoulder Strap
Options

2641 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11252 Signins

60786 Page Views

• Message 35 of 52

2020-12-14, 7:28 AM

@ USATC wrote:

Clean install of 20H2 successful. 

Excellent work!!!  And I would let those optional driver updates apply. Certainly no problem with the Intel/nVidia drivers for your display (I'm guessing you have your BIOS set to "hybid" as per factory default so that both Intel GPU and nVidia GPU are visible and need drivers, as opposed to "discrete" for nVidia-only which conceptually vanishes the Intel GPU from the hardware that Win10 sees so that only nVidia needs drivers).

This then proves out the final SIXTH method of getting to 20H2 successfully, which I have wanted to try myself but have avoided for logistical reasons.  My own P73 isn't actually mine but was purchased and built-out by me for a friend. I am in LA while she is in Virginia.  So all of my post-purchase "tech support" is remote, generally completely self-sufficient but on some occasions I need remote hands-on for special assistance.  Making things worse her internet connection is provided through Verizon Cellular which is only at about 5Mb/s, making anything involving a significant download very very time consuming.

In other words, I've been avoiding what you just did, which is what I refer to as "the final solution". If I were to have taken that extreme action I would then have had to spend a week re-building the operational production environment, reinstalling all 3rd-party apps and customizing, etc. Very difficult and time consuming for me, and the machine would have been unavailable to her for at least a few days.  Obviously that's why I simply wanted to upgrade the existing 1909 system to 20H2 while retaining all currently installed apps etc.

It certainly was really hard to believe the hardware inside the P73 itself would truly be incompatible with a from-scratch cold 20H2 Win10, and you've now proven that this hunch was true. So it's something in the existing currently installed 1909, derived originally from the factory-delivered 1903 Win10 itself and then derived from whatever has gotten installed and updated since delivery, which is causing the conflict with 20H2 for you.  And, same story for me, with June 2020 as the starting point and then whatever I did to it over the past 5 months or so.

So you've now completed the final data point. Incidentally the "Intel chipset INF utility" solution to your missing system hardware devices is something I was about to mention to you when I finally got around to seeing your post late tonight. And then I also saw your additional edits where you had already found that one yourself and fixed it.

That's great news. Unfortunately you're really back starting all over again at "factory, out-of-carton" state. And everything you need to reinstall to recreate your previous 1909 production environment, well I'm sure you're willing to invest that time and effort. I, too, would be willing to do that on my own P73, if I actually had it in my hands again. But it's in the hands of its rightful owner in Virginia and is used and needed 24/7 by her. I can't easily ask to have it sent back to me for a week, or enlist her participation for at least a few serious hours of "start from scratch" (like you did) and then have me work remotely over the next few days while she has no access to it, me rebuilding her prior system from the ground up all over again.

Yes, I have all the needed backups (Macrium Reflect for "system image" and everything on Windows C-partition, as well as NovaBACKUP for all "folder/file data" on C as well as the other "data partitions" spread across the 512GB M.2 NVMe factory SSD and 2TB M.2 NVMe Samsung EVO SSD. So it's not that I couldn't rebuild everything successfully within a few days. It's just the time and energy required.

Anyway, the current issue still exists for all (or many?) P73 owners, who may not have the time, interest, desire, or willingess to take such an extreme action to get to 20H2. There really should be nothing preventing this from happening normally same as the upgrade to 1909 was "normal Windows Update". Something in the existing original and current Lenovo-installed and Vantage-maintained Win10 1909 system is what is obviously incompatible with something in 2004/20H2... yet to be discovered and really resolved. Whatever is the true defect in the MS component which is currently falsely detecting a non-existent incompatibility, that is what is actually blocking moving forward from 1909 in the current installed system.

Excellent find. Thanks very much for spending the effort I know you've spent on this with your own P73, punctuated by this final "extreme" action of a total clean from-scratch cold start-over wipe-and-reinstall of 20H2 Win10... which in the end was successful.

You have emerged victorious. Now get started rebuilding everything you used to have in your production 1909 system.

Options

11 Posts

12-13-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

135 Page Views

• Message 36 of 52

2020-12-14, 13:08 PM

This P73 was formatted and 1909 installed clean the day I bought it.  Then Lenovo Updates and Vantage Updates and Windows Updates.  So nothing as shipped remained (but Lenovo Updates downloaded onto 1909 after the clean OS install of course).

I could not get 2004 to install clean with a format etc. on this P73.  I could not get 2004, 20H2 installed over 1909 via in place upgrades by mounting respective .iso's either, nor using MS's website via Update Now, nor using the Media Creation Tool upgrade.

I did not want for format, but did.  I like having a newly rebuilt PC, and do reformat at times.  I don't like reinstalling and configuring all applications and redoing all the customizations... which I am still doing.  I run a computer business, and do remote support and build and sell new computers, build and support websites, etc. (in business since 2012, and in the computer field for over 40 years as SME and final in-house support on Mainframes, Servers and PC's).  I haven't had much luck doing 1909/2004/20H2 upgrades remotely (or in person) due to OS problems, causing a restore of the system.  It has gotten to the point where it's not safe to do updates or upgrades of residential/business PC's anymore due to OS problems (since 1909).  I have done clean installs many times on many different types of PC hardware and way too many fail on 1909/2004.  I have too many customers still on 1809 and one on 1903 and another on 1803, all because of OS BSOD's during installs or explorer.exe crashes after the installs on 1909/2004.  20H2 failed to upgrade 1809 on 2 different PC's with different motherboards last week.  This is not just a Lenovo or P73 issue.  Had problems on Dell, Toshiba, Acer, HP, ASUS, Lenovo and others trying to upgrade to 1909/2004/20H2, and even clean installs of 1909/2004 failed on brand new store bought PC's and in house built computers.  It's past the point of not being comfortable to build new computers or upgrade existing PC's.  The OS's for 1909+ are not mature.  1909/2004/20H2 does work on some PC's though.  It's just not safe to touch anyone's PC anymore (as most people don't have 2 drives or backups).  Basically wait for a failure, then you can try to fix it, but don't touch it otherwise.

I got tired of waiting on my own P73 PC, and I had already tried clean installs of 2004 many times.  This time it worked on 20H2.  YMMV.

Hyper-V is working and it's nice to have Macrium Reflect viBoot, as I mount the last image and restore files from backup (plus I am using other backup types from RoboCopy, WD Backup, File History).  I have also started the image backup in a VM and login to 1909, export favorites from Chrome/Firefox/Edge/IE/Brave, check installed programs, check taskbar and desktop icons and icon positions, check Start Menu customization, Task Scheduler exports of custom tasks that I created for RoboCopys, FDResPub, IPChangeNotifications, check Marcium Reflect schedules/times/retention settings etc.  20H2 is working: it's running VM's, Macrium viBoot is running the previous 1909 OS in a VM (Win10 Pro 20H2 as the Host OS).  Getting real use out of this "Workstation" now with 80GB of RAM and 3 internal drives.

Options

2641 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11252 Signins

60786 Page Views

• Message 37 of 52

2020-12-16, 5:38 AM

On the off-chance my in-place upgrade attempt (and failure) was because KB4586853 (aka "the fix, supposedly") had not yet actually been "release hold" published until Dec 11 even though the official fix was theoretically released on Nov 30, I decided to give the in-place upgrade one more try.  Maybe KB4586853 would now come down in the batch of "downloading updates" which is a pre-step to the new Win10 install since its "release hold" had been dropped, whereas maybe earlier I never really got it.

Anyway, it still failed. It was far enough along to have done the first reboot, to start the real install, and gotten perhaps 40% along the way when another reboot got tripped and when things came back up I was not still in the install process and continuing on, but instead was simply back to regular Win10 desktop at the same 1909 I had started at. Looks like the new 20H2 install had simply terminated on its own. There was no pending error message on the screen requiring my response, or no explanation or anything.

I'm reserving this weekend to do a full "wipe and clean" full reinstall-from-scratch using the 20H2 media, like @USATC did. And then I'll spend the next two days finishing up with the complete set of 3rd-party app reinstalls and other customizations to get the machine back to its original "production" condition but now running at 20H2.

Hopefully that will put this nightmare behind me.

Options

7 Posts

12-12-2020

Canada

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 38 of 52

2020-12-20, 6:25 AM

Hello Folks, as I could NOT spend (about) two weeks to reconfigure my P73 (i.e.: too many settings, configs, apps) after a clean install, I resumed my 20H2 upgrade mission. After several attempts, I found-out that by disabling the "Enhanced Windows Biometric Security" from the "BIOS -> Virtualization", I was able to successfully go through the whole 20H2 upgrade and then the first login without any BSOD😊

When I tried to re-enable the "Enhanced Windows Biometric Security", I faced again a BSOD: Stop code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, while re-booting. I then kept it disabled.

There is something weird with this option that Win10 20H2 does not like🙄

After about 30 hours, my P73 is still very stable ...🙏🤞

Options

11 Posts

12-13-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

135 Page Views

• Message 39 of 52

2020-12-20, 6:44 AM

I had Biometrics disabled in BIOS too, from a few months ago per MS & Lenovo suggestion, and the 20H2 upgrade via .iso and via Windows Update didn't work for me. 

I had also tried the upgrade with Virtualization and VT-d disabled with no success.

Which is what I was referring to on a previous post of mine:

(Previous attempts to upgrade to 2004 and 20H2 failed, via .iso in place upgrades or clean OS installs, even with Hyper-V disabled in Windows and BIOS and other previous BIOS recommended changes).

The difference this time on a clean install was that I downloaded the 20H2 .iso again (MS said they had to rebuild it), and 20H2 had been out for a while, which may have installed additional fixes.  Upgrade via Windows Update to 20H2 failed, even with the BIOS changes.

I had Biometrics still disabled during the clean install of 20H2 (Virtualization & VT-d enabled).

(Kernel DMA Protection enabled after the 20H2 clean install with no issues.  It was disabled during the clean install).

Glad the upgrade worked for you though with Biometrics disabled in the BIOS.

Update:

I just now confirmed what @jlamontagne said, that having Biometrics enabled in BIOS while running 20H2 causes BSOD Stop code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

Disabling Biometrics in BIOS again allowed 20H2 to boot fine.

@jlamontagne:

Did you do a .iso upgrade to 20H2, or was it a Windows Update upgrade to 20H2?

Options

2641 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11252 Signins

60786 Page Views

• Message 40 of 52

2020-12-20, 16:38 PM

Well, this morning was when I was supposed to attempt a full reinstall-from-scratch using the downloaded 20H2 Win10 installation media.

But with the recent revelation that apparently MS had rebuilt it, so that a fresh download was needed, I had put that pre-step on this morning's agenda. Because the P73 is actually located remote from me (out in the boondocks of Virginia, with me in Los Angeles) and has a very slow internet connection (via Verizon Jetpack, or Verizon cellphone hotspot, but both are severely slow like 4Mb/s at best) I had originally built the USB flash drive here and mailed it to my friend (the true owner of the P73).  So now I'm in the process of waiting for a good 1-2 hours (at best?) for the 4GB download to complete.  Only then will I be able to actually begin the Win10 install.

But before I began this new download I did have her reboot the machine and get into the BIOS, so that I could DISABLE that "enhanced Windows biometric security" option. My plan was to then first retry using Windows Update Assistant with the BIOS setting changed, and maybe hopefully the "hardware conflict" presumably incorrectly somehow triggered by this BIOS feature being ENABLED would then disappear, and the 20H2 upgrade could actually get applied completely. That was the operating theory.

Well, imagine my disappointment to discover that the feature already was DISABLED!! I never did that myself so that must have been how the P73 arrived from the factory when I bought it in June. As to why it may have been ENABLED for both of your P73's so that you both had to DISABLE it yourself, I can't explain.  But I can only say that it already is DISABLED on my P73, so that can't be why I've been completely unsuccessful in forcing 20H2 to apply automatically via standard Windows Update or manually via Windows Update Assistant, as well as via in-place upgrade method of reinstall, running 20H2 SETUP.EXE from currently operating 1909 Win10). For me everything I've tried has failed, and I've already had this Biometric feature DISABLED.

So, I don't know whether to be [somewhat] optimistic or pessimistic regarding the expected outcome of my "last resort", namely doing a clean from-scratch new install with latest-and-greatest build of 20H2 install media, and then rebuilding the machine to "production" over the next few days. Given that the Biometric feature has always been DISABLED, the chances of success of this morning's upcoming clean install really depend on MS having finally fixed the true underlying problem that has been causing the false and incorrect "hardware/driver incompatibility" error. I'm still baffled that KB4586853 purports to be this magic fix, but it can't be manually downloaded and applied to a 1909 system because MS has only posted two versions of the fix, one for 2004 systems and one for 20H2 systems.  There is none available for 1909, so how can this fix ever get into my 1909 system to let 20H2 actually be applied??  Clearly somebody is missing something here.

Anyway, in a few hours time my newly refreshed brand new 20H2 installation USB flash driver will be built, and I can make use of it. And then we shall see what we shall see.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms