Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

12-13-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

135 Page Views

• Views: 135
  • Message 41 of 52

Re:P73 owners: have you upgraded to 2004/20H2 successfully??

2020-12-20, 17:51 PM

I had manually enabled the Biometrics settings in the BIOS myself.  I think it was to play with fingerprint recognition to secure the BIOS settings page via a fingerprint.

@DSperber:  Good luck today!  

Info about the Biometrics BIOS setting and BSOD's on Lenovo Devices:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4580649/stop-error-on-lenovo-thinkpad-that-has-kb4568831-or-a-later-update-and

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht511000-problems-caused-by-enhanced-windows-biometric-security-bios-setting-thinkpad

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/Windows-10-update-lant-month-Version-1903-and-now-Version-20H2/m-p/5051676

https://news.softpedia.com/news/you-d-better-stay-away-from-windows-10-version-2004-lenovo-says-530946.shtml

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-warns-this-windows-10-workaround-to-cure-lenovo-thinkpad-bsods-hits-security/

Makes you wonder if uninstalling Lenovo Vantage would allow the Biometrics setting to remain enabled in the BIOS (i.e. Vantage would no longer be accessing the PCI device configuration space at boot causing BSOD during install of 2004/20H2).  I don't need Biometrics enabled in the BIOS so I don't care if it's disabled.

Regardless, having Biometrics disabled didn't help me get 2004/20H2 installed via upgrade installs, and a clean install of 2004 didn't work either.

I think there are other issues that haven't been revealed causing other problems at times.

Lenovo ThinkPad P73 Type 20QR Model: 20QRS00400, i5-9400H CPU, NVIDIA Quadro P620 GPU, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SDD, 256GB Samsung NVMe SSD, 2TB WD Blue HDD, 80GB Samsung RAM (2x8GB + 2x32GB), Lenovo USB-C to Ethernet Adapter 4X90S91831, ToughBuilt Quick Access Laptop Bag TB-EL-1-L2, Klein Tools 58889 Padded Adjustable Shoulder Strap
Options

11 Posts

12-13-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

135 Page Views

• Message 42 of 52

2020-12-20, 18:34 PM

I just uninstalled Lenovo Vantage, rebooted the laptop, let Windows 20H2 start again.  Rebooted and went into BIOS and enabled the Biometrics setting.  Booted and got the same BSOD starting 20H2.  Disabled Biometrics in the BIOS and rebooted back into 20H2 successfully.

It's not just Lenovo Vantage causing this problem with the Biometrics enabled in the BIOS, as stated in the previous links.

Note: There was a "Lenovo Vantage Service" program to uninstall in Add/Remove programs, and a Lenovo Vantage "App" that also had to be uninstalled (i.e. 2 items to uninstall for Lenovo Vantage).  I used the MS Store to reinstall Lenovo Vantage afterwards.

Lenovo ThinkPad P73 Type 20QR Model: 20QRS00400, i5-9400H CPU, NVIDIA Quadro P620 GPU, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe SDD, 256GB Samsung NVMe SSD, 2TB WD Blue HDD, 80GB Samsung RAM (2x8GB + 2x32GB), Lenovo USB-C to Ethernet Adapter 4X90S91831, ToughBuilt Quick Access Laptop Bag TB-EL-1-L2, Klein Tools 58889 Padded Adjustable Shoulder Strap
Options

2646 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11262 Signins

60861 Page Views

• Views: 60861
  • Message 43 of 52

2020-12-20, 20:45 PM

Good news!  The newly refreshed 20H2 Win10 installation USB worked perfectly for a "clean install" (Biometrics security still DISABLED). So the P73 is now at 20H2.  Additional normal post-install Windows Updates are now proceeding (to finish up needed drivers, etc.).  No BSOD at any time.

Lots of work to do, of course, and it is just dreadfully slow. This is going to take lots of time, at least to get my fundamental software products installed so that I can really begin to move more rapidly through the buildout.  But I will persist, and it looks like it's all blue skies ahead. No storm on the horizon.

I certainly will install Vantage and let it do its thing as normal. But I will not ENABLE Biometrics.

Sad that this was really necessary. But in the end I will emerge victorious.  And eventually Lenovo and MS will figure out what's really going on.

Options

2646 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11262 Signins

60861 Page Views

• Message 44 of 52

2020-12-21, 6:47 AM

Following my end-of-day1 Macrium backup, I decided to call it a wrap. I might be able to get this all finished tomorrow, or Tuesday at the latest.

So far all is going well. Just one issue that I can't seem to resolve but maybe I'm just tired.  I will work on it again tomorrow, but if any of you here can give me some direction that would save time.  The problem is that using Vantage the battery settings for charging low/high threshold does not "stick".

I turn the toggle switch on, to enable the threshold functionality, get a popup message providing some caveat information, and then push the ENABLE button that's offered. This then allows me to change the low threshold and high threshold limits. There's no actual OK or SAVE or DONE button, so I assume simply having turned on the switch and set the value should complete the operation.  But after another 5 seconds or so the switch I just turned on suddenly goes back to off. and the 80/95 numbers I set reverts back to the original default 75/80. I cannot get my enable/numbers settings to "stick".

Interestingly, I let the battery drain down to 60 and then had her plug it back in so that recharging resumed.   And instead of going back up to 100 as it had been at as a result of the new 20H2 Win10 install with no power management to prevent going all the way back up, this time it only charged back up to the 80 which was the grayed-out charging-off default upper threshold value.  But without the switch enabled, why would it stop at all at that number or any other number?  Why wouldn't it just go up to 100 again?

So, at the moment the battery is running on AC line and not charging.  And it's at 80. But my objective tomorrow is to get this working again, with the threshold switch on and values of 80/95 installed.

Any thoughts? I don't have a problem with this same Vantage-controlled battery threshold functionality on my P70, or my W530, or my T495, all of which are also at 20H2.. 

Options

11 Posts

12-13-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

135 Page Views

• Message 45 of 52

2020-12-21, 10:13 AM

You have to turn on the Vantage Toolbar then click the Battery Charge Threshold (within the Toolbar) to turn it On so it turns blue... then enable the Battery Charge Threshold in the Vantage program again (I'd say that's a bug).  After getting the Battery Charge Threshold enable setting to stay on, you can then disable the Vantage Toolbar, and then you also have to unplug the battery and let the battery drain down to below the Stop Charging At setting.

After it's activated and charged back up to the Stop Charging At threshold setting, it's not discharging down to the lower threshold for me, but it does stop charging at the higher threshold Stop Charging At setting.  Battery Details Status says "No activity" (Click Toolbar/Battery Details), but it never drains down to the lower setting.  (I'd say that's another bug).  I am not going to do another Battery Gauge Reset.

I am thinking about just using the Lenovo Support website for updates via Lenovo Service Bridge (LSB) and just doing a Scan, and uninstalling Lenovo Vantage (and not using the Battery Charge Threshold or any other Vantage settings).

Update:

I just downloaded and installed the following Power Management software from the Lenovo Support Download page (first one was already installed), and then it wanted to boot, then when I started Lenovo Vantage it installed the Lenovo Vantage Service again, then I was able to Turn Off the Battery Charge setting in the Toolbar, then disable the Toolbar from Lenovo Vantage, then I was able to Enable the Battery Charge Threshold setting from within Lenovo Vantage - without needing to enable the Vantage Toolbar.

It still doesn't discharge down to the lower threshold setting.

Options

2646 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11262 Signins

60861 Page Views

• Message 46 of 52

2020-12-21, 19:50 PM

Apparently that was the required trick. Push the "battery threshold" button on the Vantage button bar first, to get it blue (i.e. ON).

Then go to "battery settings" where I discovered the switch there was already blue (i.e. ON).  No need to set it on separately.

And now I could indeed change the low/high threshold number values (to my desired 80/95) and it "held".  No reversion to the previous numbers of 75/80, and the ON/OFF switch remained at ON.  So looks good.

I then had her pull the power plug, and the battery charge level of 100 (where apparently it had returned to overnight on its own, most likely because regardless of whatever numbers were filled in last night the switch was actually in the OFF state) soon began to drop as expected.  I requested it remain unplugged until it gets down in the 60's, and then to plug it back in. It will no doubt start recharging and hopefully now move back up to 95-95 where it will stop charging.

That's the test.

And going forward, normal behavior is to always remain plugged in, but operating purely on AC power without any charging. The P73 is used as an office desktop machine, not a portable laptop. But there is a small "battery discharge leak" that is completely normal even while plugged in, so eventually over time the charge value shown of 94-95 will decrease very gradually, 93, 92, etc., until it eventually gets down below the low-threshold of 80, to 79. At that point charging will resume, once agin climbing back up to 94-95 where it will again stop.

That is the normal battery charge behavior pattern in all of my Lenovo laptops.

Options

2646 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11262 Signins

60861 Page Views

• Message 47 of 52

2020-12-21, 20:08 PM

On the subject of this thread, I've now heard from my Lenovo "lab insider" contact, regarding his array of machines which up until recently were all "stalled at 1909" just like my P73.  For him, this included his P53, 73, T470, T480 and T490.  None of them were offering 2004 or 20H2.

I contacted him yesterday to let him know that my "clean" 20H2 install using freshly rebuilt install media had worked successfully on my P73.

He replied that since Sunday Dec 12 which was just after the effective date of Dec 11 on which MS officially removed the "upgrade hold" on KB4586853 (formally and officially with a release date of Nov 30 but actually held back for release until Dec 11), all of his previously "stalled" machines now had all magically upgraded by themselves and all offered 20H2.  So he's still convinced KB4586853 actually IS "the fix" as promised by MS.  He can't imagine what makes my own P73 different, so that it never went through the same state-change automatically after Dec 11 as his machines all had.

And of course, my own "out in the wild" P73 experience (with a "real world machine", as opposed to a 'lab machine" which probably has never had any outside software products or customization applied beyond whatever Lenovo officially installs and delivers in their factory images, and probably has few if any external devices connected), as well as the similar experiences on all of the machines owned by real users being discussed here in this thread which match my own experience, well there's obviously something that makes them different. For us, there never was an UN-STALL after Dec 11. We all had to do something manual in order to get over the blockage and achieve 20H2 state.

He did mention that the Biometric Security BIOS issue was a long-ago known item, and that for now still it DID have to be DISABLED to prevent its own negative symptoms and consequences, at least for now until it gets fixed. But he doesn't believe that's relevant to our "20H2 blockage" problem as far as he's concerned.

Anyway, aside from the few days of unnecessary effort needed to get my P73 fully reinstalled and recustomized again, I don't mind as long as I've finally gotten the machine to 20H2 and operating normally again per Windows Update. And I now have full knowledge of whatever has been installed, and whatever has been updated, on this machine, starting from the ground up.

Options

4 Posts

12-22-2020

Poland

6 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 48 of 52

2020-12-22, 11:28 AM

Hello,

I had the same problem as @DSperber and @jlamontagne . Restart during update, then BSOD during attempted update recovery, then rollback. In my case I also started with 1909, which was version I received with my device.

I traced this also to RtsPer.sys - Realtek PCIe card reader driver. My first attempt was to disconnect computer from network, purge driver (so it won't reinstall) and then try to update - it went well... almost. As soon as I hit the desktop after update, i got BSOD on RtsPer.sys again - turns out that after update it re-enabled network interfaces and fetched driver from WinUpdate.

After that I disabled card reader in UEFI - Security / IO Port Access. System booted fine. But this screwed Windows installation a little (as post-install tasks were not done, OS was quite unhappy after BSOD). So I reverted it manually.

At this moment I was again at 1909 with Realtek card reader drivers already uninstalled, network cards disabled in OS and card reader disabled in UEFI. Started installation again, this time - it went fine.

Thus, question to you @DSperber - since you are running clean install of 20H2 - can you check what driver version are you using for that card reader?

Options

11 Posts

12-13-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

135 Page Views

• Message 49 of 52

2020-12-22, 12:51 PM

In case @DSperber isn't up yet, and since I am also running a clean install of 20H2, I will respond with my driver version:

Realtek PCIE CardReader Driver Version: 10.0.18363.21333

Options

4 Posts

12-22-2020

Poland

6 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 50 of 52

2020-12-22, 13:43 PM

Thank you.

I updated everything via ThinkVantage and Windows Update (including optional driver updates), and hand-picked driver for Intel ME Interface (one Windows selected had "compatibility issues", other from the list worked fine)

After that I went to UEFI, re-enabled card reader driver. Also checked for Biometrics settings and I had it enabled - so I disabled it.

After reboot 20H2 booted still fine. I forced card reader driver installation from WinUpdate - and it works fine now.

So, to recap. This may be not the optimal way, but worked for me:

1. Fetch 20H2 install.
    • I used Win10 download tool for that.
    • After installer was downloaded, I cancelled it
    • You can access it from C:\ESD directory later
  2. Disable network interfaces.
  3. Go to device manager, uninstall Realtek card reader drives with "remove driver" option selected.
  4. Reboot to UEFI
  5. In Security / Port access, disable Card Reader
  6. Reboot, check if it wasn't auto-installed, if was - goto 2.
  7. Run installer from point 1
  8. Wait till update finishes
  9. After successful boot, update everything:
    • run Windows Update to fetch all new updates
    • run Windows Update to fetch optional driver updates
    • run Lenovo Vantage to fetch any updates
    • run Windows Store to fetch any updates (in my case language pack was broken)
    • obviously do all necessary reboots in meantime
    • check Device Manager for any "incompatible" drivers, try to select manually other drivers that matches (in my case Intel ME interface)
  10. Reboot to UEFI
  11. Re-enable card reader. Disable Enhanced Windows Biometric in Security -> Virtualization (if enabled)
  12. Reboot to Windows
  13. Open Device manager, find PCIe device in unknown devices (that's the card reader), install driver via Windows Update
  14. ???
  15. Profit

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)