Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

2646 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11262 Signins

60861 Page Views

• Views: 60861
  • Message 51 of 52

Re:P73 owners: have you upgraded to 2004/20H2 successfully??

2020-12-23, 14:27 PM

@ USATC wrote:

In case @DSperber isn' up yet, and since I am also running a clean install of 20H2, I will respond with my driver version:

Realtek PCIE CardReader Driver Version: 10.0.18363.21333

Thanks for "filling in" while I was in the trenches with my rebuild.  And my new install shows the same driver version as yours for that Realtek CardReader device.

So I have returned, after finally taking my final "new install GOLD Macrium backup".  Pretty much as expected, just about 3 full days of work to get everything reinstalled and stabilized, and Windows customized as desired.  Nothing lost in the battle, no damage, no new compromises.   All external hardware still works properly.

Only a few minor unexpected surprises during the rebuild:

(1) I install Office 2007 Home and Student, which is no longer being supported by MS. That doesn't matter to me but during Windows Update (for Office) that occurs post-install, there was a problem with an update pertaining to the MS Office File Validation file. This produced an error that took a little research to find out how to overcome it and resolve it. In the end I emerged victorious.

(2) I was visually very bothered by the fact that the "interior" of scrollbars were white instead of the light-gray they normally are.  This same standard Windows color element is also used by not only Windows but also other 3rd-party apps for various color schemes. Without the light-gray contrast against surrounding white areas, it's impossible to make out where one ends and the other begins.

Again, a little research pointed to a "scrollbar" Registry item with a default value of "200 200 200" that was supposed to be in HKCU\Control Panel\Colors as being responsible for this object.  Remarkably, it was missing!  Interestingly its second piece which is "scrollbar" with a default value of "212 208 200" in HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\Colors WAS PRESENT!  For some reason the first piece was missing, and the effect was that white color inside scrollbars and other objects.

So creating the missing Registry item and re-booting was all it took to get that resolved.  Again I emerged victorious.

And that's it.  Case closed. P73 now up and running again with 20H2, and Windows Update operating normally. No animals were harmed.

Options

2646 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11262 Signins

60861 Page Views

• Views: 60861
  • Message 52 of 52

Re:P73 owners: have you upgraded to 2004/20H2 successfully??

2021-06-07, 8:23 AM

Well, this story has another chapter.

I've been working with a friend who bought an X1 Yoga 4th Gen laptop at Costco, assisting him in the "build-out". It arrived with 1909 pre-installed.

Remarkably, I was once again unable to upgrade past 1909, after first applying all of the other updates (both Lenovo drivers/software as well as Windows Updates. Even though Windows Update told me feature 20H2 was ready and available, and even though it seemed to go through the application of the update, after rebooting it was still at 1909. Nothing had changed.

At first I thought it might have been the presence of my TOTU "dongle" (i.e. 13-in-1 port hub adapter via Thunderbird USB-C connector). I had two external HDMI monitors connected as well as an external USB hard drive. But even when disconnecting everything from the X1 and trying to install 20H2, it still failed.

Making it even worse, there appeared to be some kind of either missing or mal-applied updates, and some type of "corruption" seemed to have occurred. There was a red error message in the Settings -> Update -> Windows Update screen indicating that there was some incomplete situation, or something (sorry, I didn't write it down). When I re-clicked on "check for updates" it eventually finished with the same error message. So there was nothing I could do or apply to fix this, and yet I now seemed to have a broken and flawed Windows Update situation that there was no solution for.

Enter stage left: IN-PLACE UPGRADE!!!  Once again, this is the "magic sauce" which can apparently solve everything in one fell swoop (now that MS has installed the "fix" for the broken 2004/20H2 update in new Win10 installation media).

So, I did what I had done a few months ago to resolve my P73 story (at that time with a freshly rebuilt 20H2 Win10 install media USB, which contained the MS "fix"). This time I built a new 21H1 Win10 install media USB, and inserted it into the X1 (with its "broken" Windows 1909 that would not apply 20H2 naturally nor could it fix its own lack of integrity in the Windows Update situation).

Then just navigate to the root of the USB drive and run SETUP.EXE. This initiates the "IN-PLACE UPGRADE" process (offering to "keep your current data and installed apps", which is actually a total new install of the 21H1 Win10 base platform, completely replacing the existing broken/flawed 1909 Win10 that is currently installed, while simultaneously retaining 100% of your data and installed programs and all customizations.

And, since the X1 isn't a super-fast machine, about an hour later it finally reached 100% and rebooted and VOILA!!  I now had a new "perfect" 21H1 Win10 X1, which once again had full "integrity" as far as Windows Update was concerned. I also was now able to finally apply a firmware upgrade successfully to Elan TouchPad which Lenovo Vantage had tried unsuccessfully to install multiple times.

So, once again, IN-PLACE UPGRADE came to my rescue. And the X1 was jumped from its "broken 1909" state to a new "perfect 21H1" condition, while retaining all the programs and customizations I'd previously installed up to this point.

Good stuff.

NOTE: as learned from my most recent P17 build-out experience, Lenovo has decommitted the old Lenovo Vantage Version 8 product (with the blue "L" logo, and which supports the Vantage Toolbar on the taskbar). With 21H2 Microsoft is removing support for 3rd-party toolbars (e.g. Vantage Toolbar), and in anticipation of that Lenovo has introduced the new "Commercial Vantage" replacement Version 10 product (with a new red "L" logo). And there is no longer a Vantage Toolbar object to provide battery charge level, etc., and to initiate a quick launch of Vantage.

So part of the build-out of this X1 was to first uninstall the pre-installed Lenovo Vantage using \LenovoCommercialVantage_10.2104.10.0_v1\uninstall_vantage_v8\uninstall.bat (which must be RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR) provided in the expanded ZIP file downloaded from the Commercial Vantage Deployment Guide Package. And reboot.

Step 2 is the install of the new Commercial Vantage product, using \LenovoCommercialVantage_10.2104.10.0_v1\setup-commercial-vantage.bat (which again must be RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR). And reboot.

I then went to the Windows Start Menu, and "pin to taskbar" the new Commercial Vantage red logo program icon. This allows me to easily start the new Vantage from the taskbar, since there is no longer a Vantage Toolbar object. The loss of the visible battery gauge from the old Vantage Toolbar that is no longer present, well that isn't a problem for me. I run Aida64 and already showed the battery-related information (including charge level) in the Aida64 OSD. So I really didn't need the Vantage Toolbar battery meter anyway.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)