Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

24 Posts

12-13-2009

Minnesota

69 Signins

478 Page Views

• Views: 478
  • Message 1 of 3

Playing Blu-ray media

2010-10-28, 16:21 PM

Having just performed a clean install of Windows 7, I'm in need of the Win DVD and Corel DVD to make my blu-ray player work.  The Lenovo support website won't let me do that because I don't have the old versions already installed.  How do I overcome this problem?

Options

202 Posts

07-30-2009

Netherlands

979 Signins

3811 Page Views

• Views: 3811
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Playing Blu-ray media

2010-10-29, 22:30 PM

Depending on what W5xx series and preloaded OS you originally had, there would have been a DVD player in c:\SWTOOLS. After installing that you should be able to use one of the upgrade versions. That would not be PowerDVD Ultra Deluxe Mark II or 3D Mark II though, but an older version, so I'd actually recommend upgrading to the retail product anyway.

Lenovo Premium Business Partner
X1 Tablet 3rd gen | i7-8650U | 16Gb | 1Tb | WWAN | W10 Pro x64 | Thunderbolt 3 Dock
Options

325 Posts

10-26-2008

Los Angeles

539 Signins

7524 Page Views

• Views: 7524
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Playing Blu-ray media

2010-10-29, 22:45 PM

My understanding is that, from your original Lenovo system installation, you'll need to get this folder:

C:\SWTOOLS\Apps\bdplay

and also perhaps this folder:

C:\SWTOOLS\Apps\bdauth

Put them on the system drive under the new installation, then run:

C:\SWTOOLS\Apps\bdplay\setup.exe

Or you can instead just buy a better program to play Blu-ray discs, such as Cyberlink PowerDVD, and bypass this whole WinDVD problem altogether. (A version of PowerDVD is available that provides "some" 3D capabilities, although you'll need an external display capable of the higher refresh rates used for 3D.) One other drawback of your copy of WinDVD is that hackers like to crack the keys used for encryption of Blu-ray video discs, at which point newly-released discs begin using new keys. Thus, to play new discs, you have to wait for Lenovo to relay a software update from Corel to update those keys.

Good luck!

P.S. - Wditters and I posted responses at the same time -- to my knowledge, Lenovo distributed WinDVD and not PowerDVD with all of the Blu-ray equipped ThinkPads. At least, my Blu-ray equipped W700 came with WinDVD. The two are different programs from competing companies.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms