Options

11 Posts

08-27-2020

CA

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 20

Power Manager Driver has been recently updated....

2020-08-27, 18:14 PM

I own a ThinkPad P72 and this past June, 2020, the Power Manager driver was updated. I am simply trying to change the battery charging choice and I KNOW that the Power Manager driver has the lastest update but....my computer says it can't see it. I am not super technically inclined so hopefully someone can talk me through getting this resolved in a fairly straight forward manner. TYIA Sharron

Solved! See the solution
Options

2507 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10970 Signins

59026 Page Views

• Views: 59026
  • Message 2 of 20

Re:Power Manager Driver has been recently updated....

2020-08-28, 14:23 PM

What are you trying to do regarding battery charging?  Set the low/high thresholds for triggering starting/stopping charging?  This is done through Lenovo Vantage.

I have a P70 and Device Manager -> System Devices -> Lenovo Power Manager shows that the driver is version 10.0.127.0 dated 5/13/2020.  This may or may not match the story in your P72.

Regardless, setting the battery charging thresholds is done via Lenovo Vantage:

Device -> My Device Settings -> Power tab -> Battery Settings -> enable "battery charge threshold", and you can set the start/stop limits.

Options

11 Posts

08-27-2020

CA

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 20

2020-08-29, 18:27 PM

Thank you for your reply....really appreciate it. I am aware that I change things through Vantage, which is where I always make my changes. And yes, that is EXACTLY, what I am trying to do....change the battery thresholds. When NOT using my battery, I like to keep it at a threshold of 75%  as recommended, in order to save your battery's life. But.....when going away with my laptop where there is no WiFi and have downloaded things from Netflix, I tend to like to get it up to the 100% for the time I am using the battery before having to plug it in somewhere. That is simply the background of why I want to change the thresholds back and forth. Well, after the latest update....which was done for my laptop during the first week of June, everything on that Power Management page is unattainable....all dead links. I can't get at anything to do with my battery charging. Very frustrating as it was working right up until that time. 

My husband checked the drivers and they were ALL there but my computer doesn't see that Power Manager driver as if it isn't there. There lies the issue. 

Hope that I explained myself well enough for you to understand. 

Thank you,

Sharron

Options

11 Posts

08-27-2020

CA

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 4 of 20

2020-08-29, 18:32 PM

I get this message..... "The Lenovo Power Manager driver is not installed or not working properly. Please run Windows Update or manually install it from here. After the installation, restart your computer." which is why we checked the drivers. The Power Manager Driver IS there with the latest version but my computer is saying it is not there....which it is. LOL  

We are there, stuck at what to do next. We may trying to re-install the driver and hope that doesn't screw something up.  

Options

11 Posts

08-27-2020

CA

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 20

2020-08-29, 18:47 PM

Lenovo Power Manager (Windows 10 Version 1703 or Later) - 10 [32,64] - 10.0.127.0

Successfully installed: 2020-08-05 9:32 a.m.

The update you have stated in your post is dated May of this year. There has been an update since to my laptop, as indicated directly above in this post. We are thinking with THAT most recent update, it has screwed something up and now I can no longer get at changing the battery thresholds. 

Options

2507 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10970 Signins

59026 Page Views

• Message 6 of 20

2020-08-29, 20:58 PM

The driver date is from May. But as it turns out, Lenovo System Update (which I sometimes run standalone, by itself, rather than from within Lenovo Vantage simply because I've been running System Update for many years before Lenovo Vantage even existed) appears to have been how/when I got that latest Power Manager Driver version installed.

And as you can see from the history, that 10.0.127.0 driver actually was installed just two weeks ago, on 8/12/2020.  So I'm obviously running the same version you are.

And on my P70 going into Battery Settings through Lenovo Vantage, everything seems to work fine.

The  "Battery Charge Threshold" switch is ENABLED, and I can get into both the start and stop charging limit dropdowns with no problem.

Options

11 Posts

08-27-2020

CA

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 7 of 20

2020-08-29, 21:58 PM

I just shut down my computer and when it restarted....a window comes up with: "Power Mgr.exe:  OX0000007E The specified module could not be found".

Options

2507 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10970 Signins

59026 Page Views

• Message 8 of 20

2020-08-29, 23:06 PM

No issues with my P70 after shutting down and restarting.

The location of the installed "Power Mgr.exe" is as follows:

And the actual software download page for my P70 (Manual Update -> Power Management) points to this very driver version we've been discussing.

The README has the title: "Software name      Lenovo Power Manager Driver" and it is applicable to both my P70 as well as your P72 (as well as many many other machines).  Can you download that installer manually and then RUN it yourself?  That's actually what System Update does automatically but you can manually download and install the very installer.  Presumably that should install it.

Options

11 Posts

08-27-2020

CA

7 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 9 of 20

2020-08-30, 0:25 AM

The Lenovo Power Manager driver is not installed or not working properly. Please run Windows Update or manually install it from here. After the installation, restart your computer.

With the above error message marked with a big Red X, on the first page of the Power Manager, clicking on the results in nothing. The link is dead due to the above stated issue and therefore can't get into the next page to create the battery thresholds.

Not sure what else to do....it is like running around in circles. The driver is there but my laptop says it isn't. When checking for all updates.....of course it says everything is up to date and lists the lastest versions and of course that one for the Manager is there as big as life. 

Any other suggestions??? 

Thanks BTW for your assistance in my posts. 

Options

2507 Posts

06-13-2013

US

10970 Signins

59026 Page Views

• Message 10 of 20

2020-08-30, 10:25 AM

@ Javabean wrote:

The Lenovo Power Manager driver is not installed or not working properly. Please run Windows Update or manually install it from here. After the installation, restart your computer.

With the above error message marked with a big Red X, on the first page of the Power Manager, clicking on the results in nothing. The link is dead due to the above stated issue and therefore can't get into the next page to create the battery thresholds.

I'm not sure I know when you are getting this error message.

Do you have the "Lenovo Vantage Toolbar" enabled (from right-click on Taskbar -> toolbars)?  If so, you should see the battery icon along with the "plugged in" icon on the right end of your taskbar (just to  the left of the system tray "notification area"). And if you hover the mouse over the battery icon you should get a flyout help that shows the current battery charge percentage, as well as the fact that you are plugged in and not charging (or whatever).  Is that true?  Does that happen? Or not even that?

Then if you left-click on that battery icon you should get a popup that looks as follows:

Do you get that far?

And if so, and you click on the "All Settings"link button, you should next get the following:

Do you get that far?

And of course from this point you can look at Battery Details (a separate additional popup window providing battery statistics).  Or, you can click on "Battery settings" to go to the charging threshold parameters shown in my earlier screenshot.  Do you get that far?

I'm just trying to know exactly when you get the error message about Power Manager Driver not installed.

And of course one final question: do you have "system image" backups available (from a regularly scheduled daily/weekly/monthly regimen of automated backups to external USB drive or cloud), using something like Macrium Reflect or NovaBACKUP or similar?

What about a recent f"system restore" (much less reliable to recover from than a genuine nightly "system image" of the Windows C-partition and the other small EFI system boot partitions)? I actually have my own restore point function DISABLED in all my PC's which use SSD (SATA or NVMe).  I instead use nightly "system image" backups (with Macrium Reflect) to take nightly copies of the working operational Windows system, retaining a week's worth of older generations. Even older versions can be specially retained to go back even further in the event of a disaster recovery that might need that.

In the event of a disaster or some insurmountable problem today that I simply cannot recover from, I at least can restore the entire Windows system from last night's "system image" backup. Things were working fine last night when the backup was taken and they will work fine again after restoring from last night's backup. Worst case, restore from an older image backup.

Having regular backups taken allows you to restore from a recent (or relatively recent) nightly or weekly etc. image of your working system. This is inevitably much easier a disaster recovery method to deal with (i.e. then coming forward to recreate any other updates to Windows that might have been done since the date of the image you restored from) than taking the ultimate extreme recovery approach of actually reinstalling Windows from scratch, and then reinstalling all Lenovo and 3rd-party software products and customizations... as if this were factory carton un-boxing day. You should really never find yourself in an involuntary position of being forced to reinstall Windows as your only remaining disaster recovery option.

I myself use BOTH (a) Macrium Reflect to take nightly "system image" backups of Windows C-partition, as well as (b) NovaBACKUP to take monthly-FULL and nightly-INCREMENTAL "data" backups of all my folder/file data across not only C but also D, E, F, etc. I use NovaBACKUP for "data" (i.e. not for Windows system operational integrity, but for my own personal "data") recovery because I prefer its functionality and GUI to that of Macrium Reflect (even though Macrium Reflect also can perform "data" backups). And I use Macrium Reflect for "system image" Windows backups (even though NovaBACKUP also provides that same capability) because I prefer its functionality and GUI to that of NovaBACKUP. Everything gets backed up to an external 4TB USB 3.0 drive (and if I were paranoid I could duplicate the backups to a second external drive or RAID NAS, for redundancy to ease my mind).

Most important is that I never want to lose any data, and I don't want to ever have to go back and install Windows from scratch unless there's some real reason. I only want to have to go back as far as last night or maybe a day or two older, if I lose Windows operational integrity in some fashion (e.g. your current inexplicable loss of Power Manager Driver). Similarly, if I accidentally delete a file, or corrupt it or just want to get back (permanently or temporarily) to some previous version of a folder/file of "data" (which has nothing to do with Windows, no matter whether it's stored in some C:\Users location or off of C in some other non-C partition folder/file), I want to be able to use NovaBACKUP to quickly and easily recover that "data", typically in just seconds.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete