Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

10-02-2019

Canada

7 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 1 of 5

Problem with my infrared camera.

2021-09-06, 3:18 AM

Hello,
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P53 laptop with an integrated camera. Under device manager I can see an integrated camera and an Integrated IR camera. Up to early june I was able to use the hello login with face recognition without any trouble. I was getting a RED led blinking beside my camera when I was logging in.
Now when I start windows and I get the screen where the Hello usually open the IR camera to logged me in, I get a message saying “preparing”, the eye doesn’t not move as it did before, I don’t see any activity (led blinking) at the camera and finally get a message that it couldn’t activate the camera and to use the pin to sign in. I can use my finger print reader to login without any problem so I suspect that the hello drivers from Microsoft are working fine.

Around the same time I also started having problem with the Windows 10 Camera app. When I was trying to use it, I was getting either of the following errors:

Can’t start the camera
0xA00F429F (0x80070002)

Close other applications
0xA00F4288

I know the integrated camera is working fine since I can use it with Skype, Zoom or Microsoft Teams.I have tried to reinstall the drivers on both cameras, no luck. I have tried from advanced options to reset the Camera app, no luck. I have checked the Camera access and everything seems to be normal and active. I even deactivate it and reactivate it with no luck. I found an entry in a board about a registry entry that seems to have fixed the camera app.

It is under:
\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform
and the key is: EnableFrameServerMode

I also created the same key under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform

Since the creation of both keys the camera application seems to be working. Mind you that some times it just died when I start it but next time it works ok.
But I still have the same problem with the Hello and IR camera not working. I have checked for a restore point but I don’t have any. I also don’t have the option of rolling a version back for Windows. I am currently running under 20H2 and I know that 21H1 is available. Anybody know if there is anything under 21H1 that may help with Windows Hello and the used if IR Camera? I have the Hello finger print reader enable to login and it works fine. So part of the Windows Hello is working.
Before trying to start playing with my windows configuration I would like to know if there is a way that I can test the IR Camera. There are sites where I can test the standard integrated camera but I haven’t found anything where I could test the IR camera. I would like to confirm that the IR works before starting to modify and troubleshoot windows hello.
Thank you,

Luc

Details for Windows version and system. It is in french But I'm sure you will be able to amke sense of it

Édition Windows 10 Professionnel
Version 20H2
Date d'installation ‎2021-‎01-‎09
Version du système d’exploitation 19042.1052
Numéro de série 

MOD: Serial number removed as it's a privacy risk on a public forum - Doc

Expérience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0

Nom du périphérique LAPTOP-3DR26S16
Processeur Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Mémoire vive installée 8,00 Go (7,74 Go utilisable)
Type du système Système d’exploitation 64 bits, processeur x64
Stylet et fonction tactile La fonctionnalité d’entrée tactile ou avec un stylet n’est pas disponible avec cet écran

Options

3743 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

290 Signins

18770 Page Views

• Views: 18770
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Problem with my infrared camera.

2021-09-06, 18:33 PM

Hello Luc56,

Greetings

Kindly try reloading the BIOS default settings, be sure to save and exit.
Then, from the support site, download the camera driver, save it on the desktop.
Next step, go to the device manager, fully uninstall the camera driver, delete it by ticking the box to completely remove.
Do not restart the computer yet. Go back to the desktop and install the camera driver.
Restart, observe and update us how it goes.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

10-02-2019

Canada

7 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2021-09-17, 4:57 AM

Hello Lorenzo,

Sorry if I could not reply faster I got busy and since the rest is working I forgot to put time to fix. Before I do it just want to check with you. You are talking about reloading de default setting of the UEFI Bios by entering the Bios upon reboot and then hit the F9 key to relaod de default setting. This should not cause issue with other software or application right.

Thank you

Luc

Options

2902 Posts

06-13-2013

United States of America

11454 Signins

63001 Page Views

• Views: 63001
  • Message 4 of 5

2021-09-17, 7:50 AM

Can I please ask you to state what is the driver version of your Integrated Camera and IR Camera? You can get that from Device Manager.

I ask because there was a defective update 10.0.22000.20193 to the Realtek camera driver pushed out in July for the P52/P72 which caused precisely the problems you're describing here, where Windows Hello no longer worked. The previous version of the Realtek camera driver was 10.0.19041.20180 (Realtek) released in March, 2021 and that worked fine. 

Just a few weeks ago Lenovo released a new and now corrected updated version of the Realtek camera driver for the P52/P72, and it is now 10.0.22000.20202 released August 27. Windows Hello and all other camera functions are once again working properly.

I have looked at the latest camera driver shown by Lenovo for the P73/P73 and it shows 10.0.19041.20178 (probably very similar to the old 20180 for the P52/P72). But perhaps there is a very new version 10.0.22000.x which, like the story for the P52/P72, perhaps it too has "broken" Windows Hello.

In any case, if you can provide the IR Camera driver version on your P53 it would be very useful, to try and understand what's really going on.

Options

5 Posts

10-02-2019

Canada

7 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2021-09-17, 12:07 PM

The current version for both the integrated camera and the IR camera is 10.0.19041.20178 dated 2021-02-23. Version similar to the good one for P52. It is the same version that is on the P53 support web site. The only difference is the date, in device manager it is reported as 2021-02-23 and on the web site the readme file for that version state the release date as 2021-04-07...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms