Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

01-23-2009

New Jersey

28 Signins

213 Page Views

• Views: 213
  • Message 1 of 2

Problems with Intel AMT and Thinkpad TPM

2009-01-23, 3:53 AM

I've had my W500 (4058/4GB RAM/Vista Business x64) for a little over a month, but recently have been having problems with it.  It will no longer reboot either from Windows or even the BIOS without getting stuck with a black screen just before starting POST.  I have to force it to turn off by holding the power button and press it again to start booting.  When it does boot, it sits with a blinking cursor for about a minute before starting to load the OS. 

When Windows loads, the TPM can't be found and the Intel Management Engine Interface (AMT) fails to start with a Code 10. 

I've tried flashing the BIOS to 1.20 and booting without the hard drive but the boot and reboot issues don't change. 
I've tried disabling the TPM chip as well as clearing it, I've reloaded all of the drivers, done a System Update and all Hotfixes, and it still can't seem to find the TPM chip and has the same problem with the Intel MEI.

I talked to tech support and they want me to depot it for a planar replacement.  Apparently this is a possible failure mode for the TPM chip.

This will probably be the last Thinkpad I buy.  I've used them for years, but those I have bought recently (5 of them in 1.5 years) have not been reliable.  This W500 is a replacement for a T61p that failed after just over a year, and another one of my T61p notebooks failed after about 8 months.  I really hate sending a machine in that is essentially brand new but unless there's something I've missed, the tech I talked to said I have no other options. 

If anyone can think of anything I haven't tried, I would certainly be grateful!

Thanks

Options

350 Posts

02-20-2008

Finland

1618 Signins

11854 Page Views

• Views: 11854
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Problems with Intel AMT and Thinkpad TPM

2009-01-23, 12:41 PM

Things to try.

- Remove battery the try to boot. broken battery can make pc stuck.

- Remove any usb deviced. Broken usb device can hang pc when it checks installed hardware.

- Remove dvd-drive.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms