Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

134 Posts

06-29-2008

Australia

365 Signins

1652 Page Views

• Views: 1652
  • Message 1 of 1

RTX3000 malfunction when disconnecting from eGPU, prevents external displays

2020-12-02, 23:16 PM

I have a Razor Core X eGPU with a Zotac 1070Ti I connect my P73 to at home. Pretty much as long as I remember, whenever I disconnect the eGPU (I hit the 'disconnect' in the NVIDIA control panel tool similar to this, and do not just pull the plug out) it causes my RTX3000 to malfunction and show up like this in the device manager:

(edit: forum upload does not work)

https://imgur.com/a/R15tC3e 

It does not happen all the time but appears to be maybe 50/50? It may be related to the length of time it is connected and whether the monitors have gone to sleep (but this may be apophenia)

In the short term, I can remove the GPU from device manager and reboot my machine and it works fine. 

In the medium term, I can purge the drivers drivers via DDU and then install a set from nvidia.com (from memory the GeForce 10 Series GTX 1070 drivers). This normally sorts it for a while (ie the RTX3000 no longer errors on disconnecting the eGPU), but eventually this behaviour starts happening again (Not sure why but speculate some form of behind the scenes driver updates) and it is tiresome to constantly have to do this.

I'd like to know if there is a way I can resolve this in the long term as it's cumbersome to do both of these things.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms