Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

12-01-2008

Tucson, AZ

10 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 1 of 6

Registery settings are not staying set

2008-12-01, 20:28 PM

I use TweakUI on my systems and among the few things I change one of them is to turn off the bubble balloon tips. When I use TweakUI to turn them off, the next time I boot the setting is turned back on. I'm guessing there may be some sort of program running during bootup that restores my settings or is changing it back to on status. This is annoying, is there anyway to stop this? Never have had this issue with other machines in the past, only since I've started using a Lenovo, so I suspect one of the "preinstalled" tools or devices may be causing this issue.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Message Edited by captngizmo on 12-02-2008 08:53 AM
Larry

W500 4062-27U, 2.8GHZ, 4GB, WUXGA, XpPro Svc Pack 3.
Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

Germany

22166 Signins

317350 Page Views

• Views: 317350
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Registery settings are not staying set

2008-12-02, 8:17 AM

Hello,

please try Vista/XP Antispy.

This little program allows you to adjust your windows settings in a very conveniant way.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Options

4 Posts

12-01-2008

Tucson, AZ

10 Signins

81 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2008-12-02, 16:02 PM

Thanks Adreas, I just installed it and used it to disable baloon tips, but once again after rebooting the tips are back on again. 

I'm certain at this point that one of the Lenovo add-ons or services is changing this setting on startup, I'd like to know which one so that I can tell it not to do this or I'll just remove the offending program.  I'm about this >< close to removing all the lenovo programs, I probably will anyway since I don't like installing programs I rarely if ever use. 

Larry

Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

Germany

22166 Signins

317350 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2008-12-03, 5:46 AM

Hello Larry,

do you mean XP bubbles or from Lenovo programs?

Are you running some software like spybot search and destroy or anything?

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 03-12-2008 06:47 AM

I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Options

4 Posts

12-01-2008

Tucson, AZ

10 Signins

81 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

Re: Registry settings are not staying set

2008-12-03, 6:17 AM

Hello Andreas,

Yes, I'm referring to XP's Balloon Tips.  It's the fourth setting under "Miscellaneous Settings" in XP-Antispy.  Typically these are the dialog boxes that open down near the system tray to let you know about different things like updates that are available as opposed to the tool tips when you hover over an icon.

Again, using  XP Antispy, it (just like TweakUI) allows you to turn off the balloon tips, yet after rebooting the tips are magically turned back on again.

One thing that I'm thinking here, when first ran Antispy it opened a dialog box that said "This appears to be your first time running XP-Antispy which I expected on my first run of it.  What's interesting is that it popped this same dialog box after I rebooted and opened XP-Antispy.  It won't do this if I run XP-Antispy a second time before rebooting.  Once I reboot, it's like my registry has been restored.  I hope this makes sense...

I'm wondering if there is some sort of backup is running that is restoring my registry settings during the next boot or just prior to shutting down?  Reason I say this is that any changes I've tried to make with XP-Antispy are lost after the next reboot.  I just double checked some of the other changes I made with XP-Antispy and they're not set now.  Example:  I had checked "Set RegDone=1" and it's now unchecked since I rebooted.  And yes, I am clicking the "Apply Settings" button before exiting XP-Antispy.  ;)

Larry

Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

Germany

22166 Signins

317350 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

Re: Registry settings are not staying set

2008-12-03, 6:23 AM

Hello Larry,

yes it seems that something is restoring your reg settings. Strange!

Are you running some software like, spybot search and destroy or anything?

Which firewall and antivirus do you use?

Please try a google search for: problem ballon tips in xp, you´ll find many hints

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 03-12-2008 07:41 AM

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms