Options

9 Posts

10-05-2017

US

13 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 1 of 3

Reports of power throttling & thermal cooling issues with the P53/P73 faded out in 2019. All fixed?

2020-08-26, 15:20 PM

This 18 page thread from last year contains just about everything that anyone has ever said about these performance issues. I haven't really found any threads from 2020 about it, but I'm not sure if that should comfort me or scare me! Most of these incidents are with the P53, so I'm assuming the P73 is less susceptible due to its larger form factor. It was clearly not immune, though.

I'm looking to buy a P73 with an i7-9850H / nVIDIA RTX 3000 combo + UHD display. The first thing I'd do upon boot is run Lenovo Vantage to get the firmware and drivers updated. Is this enough in August 2020 to stabilize the machine? Is it still sometimes necessary to disable Lenovo Active Protection System to make the GPU behave?

The deals right now on the P73 are really good, especially with Perks. If only I could save my cart until Black Friday! The upcoming P17 comes with improvements that are hard to ignore: Internally completely redesigned, with a stronger cooling system [...] and a modular design with daughtercards instead of a soldered solution.

I don't need more than 64MB of RAM so the P17 sounds like a dream, but I have doubts that I'll be able to get one with similar specs at the price that I can get a P73 right now.  Some of you have long histories monitoring Lenovo's sales when new product lines are launched. If you were me, but smarter and more experienced, what would you do?

Options

551 Posts

10-03-2011

CA

2890 Signins

14755 Page Views

• Views: 14755
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Reports of power throttling & thermal cooling issues with the P53/P73 faded out in 2019. All fixed?

2020-08-26, 21:01 PM
  1. Throttling is "fixed" as in latest BIOS + software offer reasonable Better (quiet, CPU 45W power limit, reasonable performance) and Best (much noisier, no power limit, about 10-15% better performance limited by thermal throttling) profiles. 

Initially, the difference between better/best performance profiles wasn't that big, and "best" was clearly sacrificing performance for quietness, which led to complaints.

Now, with either option, CPU in P73/i9-9880H/RTX4000 can run at 100% for hours with all cores loaded, at much higher speed than base 2.3Ghz (up to 3.4-4Ghz depending on the mode). That's w/o any undervolting/overclocking/repasting/ThrottleStop and other shenanigans.

With P53, and/or simultaneous CPU/GPU load, things may be less rosy.

2. P17 sacrificed 2.5" disk slot for the "daughter GPU card", effectively limiting internal disk space to 4TB. This obviously allowed Lenovo to offer more CPU/GPU combos, and perhaps cooling is a bit better, but I doubt it's radically different. 

There are no reviews yet AFAIK, but CPU is same 14nm++++++, so general performance is likely in same ballpark as P73 (i.e. a task that took 3 hours with P73 will be done may be in 2:50 or thereabouts on P17 due to somewhat better cooling and higher CPU clocks)

Options

9 Posts

10-05-2017

US

13 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Reports of power throttling & thermal cooling issues with the P53/P73 faded out in 2019. All fixed?

2020-08-28, 18:29 PM

Thank you for all of these details! Makes me feel much more confident about the P73 I ordered during Lenovo's Labor Day sale. Appreciate it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete