Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

31 Posts

12-07-2019

United States of America

74 Signins

557 Page Views

• Views: 557
  • Message 1 of 9

"Reset this pc" in windows setting recovery wiped out my factory partition..

2021-04-02, 15:05 PM

I wanted to do a windows 10 reset because I wanted to go back to the version of windows 10 that my computer came with and It did the reset fine except it went back to this same new version. Why on earth would the simple reset function  - inside of windows start > settings > update and settings > recovery > reset this pc -wipe out my factory partition ?   - I went into advanced and even booted into f11 just to have a looksee and it doesn't exist . 

Anyone ?

Answer
Options

8971 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77769 Signins

2226970 Page Views

• Views: 2226970

Re:"Reset this pc" in windows setting recovery wiped out my factory partition..

2021-04-02, 17:38 PM

@ biggie777 wrote:

So why does it say reset like it was when you first get your laptop when I reset mine, I got this latest version of windows 10 Pro 20H2 ?

If I understand your question... since the reset bits and pieces are actually part of the OS partition, they get updated when the OS gets updated.  That's normal these days.

"like it was..." isn't quite correct as you've discovered.  What you get is return to the OS only (although updated) including any OEM (Lenovo) provided drivers and apps, but without anything you've added, like data and apps.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Replies(8)
Options

1570 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

103 Signins

7885 Page Views

• Views: 7885
  • Message 2 of 9

2021-04-02, 15:17 PM

Hello biggie777,

Greetings

The recovery option "Reset this PC" will not remove the partitions, it only removes the inside windows 10 partition, and reinstall it back on fresh.

Here are some info about recovery options:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-refresh-reset-or-restore-your-pc-51391d9a-eb0a-84a7-69e4-c2c1fbceb8dd

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/recovery-options-in-windows-10-31ce2444-7de3-818c-d626-e3b5a3024da5

Best regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

31 Posts

12-07-2019

United States of America

74 Signins

557 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2021-04-02, 16:23 PM

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Yes, I understand, - However, I do know my factory partition is gone and I NEVER EVER wiped it out or did a clean install or anything else so this computer could not have come partitioned. Is this possible ?

Options

8971 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77769 Signins

2226970 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2021-04-02, 16:25 PM

@ biggie777 wrote:

I wanted to do a windows 10 reset because I wanted to go back to the version of windows 10 that my computer came with and It did the reset fine except it went back to this same new version. Why on earth would the simple reset function  - inside of windows start > settings > update and settings > recovery > reset this pc -wipe out my factory partition ?   - I went into advanced and even booted into f11 just to have a looksee and it doesn' exist . 

Anyone ?

Which factory partition are you referring to?  Laptops that ship with Windows 10 don't have "factory partitions" like Win 7 machines did.  There's no separate partition containing a restore image, since the restore/recovery components are actually mingled with the OS components in C:.  There is usually a small recovery partition that contains some tools and an EFI boot partition.

Can you describe exactly which partition is missing? Do you have a screen shot of Disk Management?

[edit to add] ISTR that in the early days of Windows 10 some machines shipped with an old-school recovery partition.  That hasn't been the case for several generations of PCs since MS and Lenovo switched fully to the Push Button Reset model.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

31 Posts

12-07-2019

United States of America

74 Signins

557 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2021-04-02, 17:29 PM

Think I made a mistake.

Yeah, I was just referring to how windows XP and 7 came. (original drivers/programs/ and exact copy of how they sent it.

Disk management is showing I do have 260MB healthy EFI system partition, healthy windows C:,NTFC, and 1000mb healthy recovery.( I forgot to look there.)

To answer your direct question, I was talking about booting and hitting f11 and looking in advanced recovery just to see, and when it said no image file found re-image. I didn't know windows 10 was different, I haven't been on it long enough. 

So why does it say reset like it was when you first get your laptop when I reset mine, I got this latest version of windows 10 Pro 20H2 ?

Answer
Options

8971 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77769 Signins

2226970 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2021-04-02, 17:38 PM

@ biggie777 wrote:

If I understand your question... since the reset bits and pieces are actually part of the OS partition, they get updated when the OS gets updated.  That's normal these days.

"like it was..." isn't quite correct as you've discovered.  What you get is return to the OS only (although updated) including any OEM (Lenovo) provided drivers and apps, but without anything you've added, like data and apps.

Z.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

31 Posts

12-07-2019

United States of America

74 Signins

557 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2021-04-02, 18:05 PM

LOL. Yes, you did understand my poorly written question. I understand and thanks for taking the time to explain this, certainly learned a lot from that and had no idea.

One small question, you said "including any OEM (Lenovo) provided drivers and apps." I was certain mine came with Lenovo Vantage installed but it definitely didn't come back in the afterlife. Is there something to that or do some things just get blazed once in awhile on a reset ?

Options

4018 Posts

12-02-2007

United States of America

9086 Signins

193558 Page Views

• Views: 193558
  • Message 8 of 9

2021-04-03, 11:06 AM

Hello,

I have noticed that newly-reloaded ThinkPads which previously had the Lenovo Vantage application on them sometimes do not have it available immediately on them after the operating system reload is complete.

After the machine is connected to the internet, though, the correct version, along with the System Interface Foundation software it uses, will be downloaded and installed from the Windows Store.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP72 (20MB-*)P50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Need an answer, fast? Try using Browser Search to find it in the Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

31 Posts

12-07-2019

United States of America

74 Signins

557 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2021-04-09, 0:03 AM

I reset my p53, Lenovo Vantage didn't come back by itself but when I searched for it and found it in the Microsoft store, it said it was installed. (something like that) but I actually had to install it. is this normal ? I am just wondering if I had waited it would have come back or if there was a setting to make it automatically install ? 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms