Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: P and W Series Mobile Workstations
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

04-09-2021

New Zealand

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 18

Samsung SSD 970 EVO not recognised by ThinkPad P51s

2021-04-09, 11:55 AM

I've had my Windows P51s for nearly 3 years and it's been solid. A few days ago however, I started experienced BSoDs a LOT. I could sometimes get the machine to stay on long enough to get important things backed up between crashes - other times it would go into boot-crash-boot loops.

I ran the diagnostic tools in Lenovo Vantage and everything came up green.

I suspected problems with my Windows installation, as there had been some driver updates that I couldn't seem to remove, and Windows had been trying and failing to update itself to the latest feature update for a long time, without telling me what the problem was.

So, sick of Windows anyway, I disabled Secure boot and tried installing Ubuntu instead. However soon after updating the hard disk partition table, it crashed again, with a message that seemed to indicate the SSD might have errors, which would explain a lot.

So I bought a new SSD, a Samsung 970 EVO, and replaced the old SSD (also Samsung, both NVMe) in the M.2 slot.

At the F12 boot menu, the new SSD is listed correctly, and I can run the extended Storage diagnostic with no errors on the disk.

However, the disk is not visible to Ubuntu. It doesn't show up in gparted when running a livecd, it is not listed in `fdisk -l`, and so installation cannot continue. I also tried with an arch Linux installation, and the SSD cannot be seen there either. I even tried creating a Windows install usb stick and installing Windows. That installation sees the drive, but lists it as being 0 bytes in size, and on "Refresh" it disappears.

I have attempted to remove and re-insert the SSD as an attempt to "turn it off and on again" but with the same outcome.

All references I've found to SSDs being unrecognised have been to do with SATA options. I don't think the P51s has other SATA options (I can't find anything in BIOS).

I'm at a loss. If there was an error with the SSD or the connecting cable etc., I would expect the disk to not appear in the BIOS boot menu, or to pass diagnostics.

Any help here would be very much appreciated!

Options

1631 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

108 Signins

8210 Page Views

• Views: 8210
  • Message 2 of 18

Re:Samsung SSD 970 EVO not recognised by ThinkPad P51s

2021-04-09, 13:36 PM

Hello nickspoon,

Welcome to Lenovo Community

Is the part# of the SSD that you bought, under the list of compatible replacement parts?

I suggest that you share the machine type model / MTM (ex. 81C70000RK) from the sticker as it would help us detail more about your machine variant.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

306 Posts

09-04-2019

United States of America

207 Signins

3243 Page Views

• Views: 3243
  • Message 3 of 18

2021-04-09, 15:35 PM

Don't waste your time with the unnecessary hoops and hurdles. That NVME drive has been in the marketplace for a long time and its compatible with your notebook. I am using the 970 EVO with no issues on a P43s for over a year now. Lenovo also uses Samsung NVME drives in their notebooks with a different "code name" for the model number. Install W10 and try installing the Samsung Controller if you are not using it already. If it doesn't work IMO its a motherboard issue not a NVME drive or Windows 10 issue.

Options

8 Posts

04-09-2021

New Zealand

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 4 of 18

2021-04-09, 20:17 PM
Thanks. The Machine Type Model (read from BIOS) is 20HBCTO1WW. The UEFI BIOS version is N1VET55W (1.45), which is the latest version as far as I've been able to tell. I tried looking up the drive in the list of compatible devices but I'm not sure that's very reliable; only a single "Samsung" result is listed, and that's memory not storage. There is also only a single result for "SSD", 0 results for "nvme" (despite the machine coming with a Samsung NVMe SSD) and only 483 compatible parts in total, which must be much too low.
Options

8 Posts

04-09-2021

New Zealand

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 5 of 18

2021-04-09, 20:39 PM

Thanks @JEShumMPK, glad to hear you have this drive working.

> Install W10 and try installing the Samsung Controller if you are not using it already.

I can't install Windows, the SSD isn't recognised during the install process.

What do you mean by Samsung Controller? Is that firmware for the SSD? I wonder if that's something I can install from an Ubuntu livecd..?

Options

306 Posts

09-04-2019

United States of America

207 Signins

3243 Page Views

• Views: 3243
  • Message 6 of 18

2021-04-10, 10:33 AM

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/970evo/

I think this is a W10 based controller. When I used this instead of the MSFT one, good things started happening.

I only use Windows so not familiar with Ubuntu.

IMO if the drive is not recognized by the laptop, I see it as a motherboard problem. If you had an NVME drive in there before and are merely swapping for a new one I don't see why you would need to tinker with the BIOS.

Can you use Macrium (free version is fine) to clone the old drive to the new and install it that way?

If everything else fails maybe you can use the hard reset option on the bottom of the laptop. Would consult support first. I have never had to use it so can't comment on it but I know its an option if all else fails.

BTW, are you sure the drive is seated properly? Did you disable the battery before doing all this? Maybe something shorted out?

Options

109 Posts

06-17-2015

Hong Kong S.A.R of China

138 Signins

1466 Page Views

• Views: 1466
  • Message 7 of 18

2021-04-10, 18:08 PM

Welcome to the strange world of Windows 10, where you need to initialize your SSD before it can be recognized/used!

www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/initialize-a-hard-drive-ssd.html

We recently had similar experience with our Samsung 970 Evo Plus PCIe NVMe 2280 SSD, putting it as 2nd SSD into our X1 Extreme and the SSD would not even show up in Windows!

You can use above URL (or similar ones from the internet) to initialize your SSD for free.

We used AOMEI Partition Assistant to do this for us!

Its freeware version can handle this as well. Good luck!

Daily Driver: X1 Extreme Gen 3 (X1E-3) | WWAN (mobile broadband)
X1E-3, X1E-1, X1C-9, X1C-4, X1C-3, X250, X230
Retired Thinkpads: T410, T42, 560 (circa 1996)
Also: IBM Thinkpad era computer bag !
Options

8 Posts

04-09-2021

New Zealand

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 8 of 18

2021-04-10, 20:54 PM

I agree with @JEShumMPK that this looks like a motherboard issue. And yes, the drive is seated properly, I have switched it back and forth with the old drive twice now, disconnecting the internal battery each time. The old drive has had its partition table overwritten during the failed Ubuntu install described in the original description so they'd nothing to clone.

@w0qj as far as I can tell "initializing" a drive just refers to creating a partition table on it. But the SSD is not visible to even do this. In Windows it is not listed in `diskpart` (described in your link) and in Linux it is not visible in `gparted` or `fdisk -l`

Options

8978 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77782 Signins

2227740 Page Views

• Views: 2227740
  • Message 9 of 18

2021-04-10, 21:08 PM

From waaaay out in left field: try the emergency reset hole on the bottom of the laptop.  May need to do it w/the machine powered up for it to have any effect.

I ran into something like this on a P1 Gen 2.  970 was absolutely invisible until I hit the reset hole out of desperation.  I guess the UEFI BIOS was in some weird state.  Other model SSDs were visible, just not the 970.  I booted to the boot menu and hit the button.  Splat!  Reboot threw an error but subsequently all was good.  Still is.

This isn't likely to fix things, but it's free to try...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

8 Posts

04-09-2021

New Zealand

5 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 10 of 18

2021-04-10, 21:49 PM
No luck with the reset hole unfortunately, but thanks for the suggestion.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms